If You Don't Find Much On A Hunt, You Might Want To Find This

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunting in such a nice place, I love the scenery of where you hunt, reminds me of the places I go to hunt.

Good luck on your next hunt and please listen to your NOX crying out to have some fun time with you.

No worries, for sure I'd have found pretty much the same stuff with the Equinox, nothing was very deep. Right now we've been in a bit of a drought for about a month. This weekend it's going to rain for a few days so hopefully that will correct it and make it easy to dig in the fields, it should light the finds up again.

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, awesome finds again! You have a nose for relics and that half Reale is a beauty! Well done!

Shame it's only half of a half, it has the pinhole for a thread, looks like it was done with something hot.20220503_190229.thumb.jpg.6ed83afd2070e2afd778b8c19f37f72a.jpg

This gentleman owns over 1,000 acres of prime Colonial field and forest, every time I meet up with him he tells me about something else. 👍 I'm hoping to get my hands on some 1812 stuff, history mentions about 3,000 troops invaded the places I'm hunting. Someone had to lose a button! 😀

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Shame it's only half of a half, it has the pinhole for a thread, looks like it was done with something hot.20220503_190229.thumb.jpg.6ed83afd2070e2afd778b8c19f37f72a.jpg

This gentleman owns over 1,000 acres of prime Colonial field and forest, every time I meet up with him he tells me about something else. 👍 I'm hoping to get my hands on some 1812 stuff, history mentions about 3,000 troops invaded the places I'm hunting. Someone had to lose a button! 😀

That’s a great spot...I have a feeling your never going to hunt it out...are the ticks bad in the winter? Congrats on the reale! That’s a great find

7 minutes ago, strick said:

That’s a great spot...I have a feeling your never going to hunt it out...are the ticks bad in the winter? Congrats on the reale! That’s a great find

Honestly I thought I was coming away with nothing. 😵 These fields haven't been planted yet, probably due to the cost of supplies, the drought, and diesel 🤬

One thing I have found is that no matter the size of the field, and some are upwards of 90 acres on this farm, there will be a lot of nothing then suddenly a hot spot with a lot of stuff. Guess that's pretty much the same anywhere. When scouting I usually go around the edges and the make an "X" across the field.

The ratio of field to woods and ravines is about even. You'll walk toward a tree line, and at the trees there is a precipitous drop, sometimes 80 feet. Wouldn't have been an issue for me about 50 years ago. 🤣

I'll be coming back to this one soon, but it's really dry now. It's tough to dig even a 4" hole. It's supposed to rain this coming weekend!

The worst time of year for ticks here is the first couple weeks of April. When it hits 70 the nymphs come out. These are brown deer ticks, famous for transmitting Lyme Disease. The nymphs are so small you don't find them until you start to itch. I had two trotting all over me, they both bit me about 4 times each. By now they've grown and will start dropping from the trees. Luckily as yet I haven't seen the bullseye rash, I've been tested a couple of times. A couple other pests are chiggers and sand fleas, the bites from those fester for a month. High grass and rivers respectively are their domain.

I'm not trying to sound like Adventure Boy here, but it's good to present the downside now and again 😁 It's best to go in the woods when the temperature is in the mid 50s to 60s.

It's raining here , I'll try to convince it to go in your general direction.

UGH ,,,Chiggers , don't live here ,,,yet.

Ticks ?  OH yeah !  Lyme disease started out in Conn. .....They're sure here. Enough of 'em and they can take down a MOOSE ! Yes , confirmed by the warden service....arrrrrrrrrrrr !

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

It's raining here , I'll try to convince it to go in your general direction.

UGH ,,,Chiggers , don't live here ,,,yet.

Ticks ?  OH yeah !  Lyme disease started out in Conn. .....They're sure here. Enough of 'em and they can take down a MOOSE ! Yes , confirmed by the warden service....arrrrrrrrrrrr !

I remember learning about them there. My Army unit did training in Old Lyme in the 80s. There is a whole conspiracy theory that revolves around how the ticks were bio-engineered on an island not far away. 😀 I sure hope not.

Lyme Disease is sporadic here, I've had lots of tick bites and luckily haven't had it yet. I have heard some people have got it.

Chiggers are tiny red spider looking things, it was a take that they burrow in but they don't. The bite will ulcerate and last for a while.

In season, I will put a couple of glugs of household bleach in a tub full of bath water & soak. That will take care of them if you don't wait till they start itching.

31 minutes ago, JCR said:

In season, I will put a couple of glugs of household bleach in a tub full of bath water & soak. That will take care of them if you don't wait till they start itching.

Yeah I use Benadryl spray or "after bite". I'm out of likes for the day