New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

I heard it's going to be November.

someone understood for the many light settings? I would like to know if everything can be turned off completely?
in the mini manual it is written from 1 to 10, so there is no zero?

I hunt beaches at 80% at night without any lights and if this manticore can't turn off the lights completely then it will be without me

14 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I paid for my EQX800 my first trip out when I dug a beautiful 18K gold ring, but that was pure luck.  However, after it located several high value seated coins, a rare 1856-S U.S. $1 gold coin, and tons of other great finds, it's easily paid for itself twenty fold, easily.

Mine paid for itself after 3 month in clad only. But conditions have changed a lot the last couple of years..

- the number of dectectorists increased drastically over here
- more and more coinless payment systems for parking, lunch etc..
- less visitors due to multiple circumstances like Covid, weather, prices
- fuel price for me has doubled since end 2020 for example!

This year has been the worst since owning the Nox - approx. 1/3 the finds than 2018. That means considering the situation won't get any better, it'll take at least 3-4 years to pay off..

6 hours ago, Chesroy said:

Not impressed with the charge time of 7hrs ! and the run time of 9 hrs is not helpful especially here in the UK. Camping at 4 day Rallies is going to cause concerns especially in the summer where you have the option to detect for 12 hrs. My Equinox runs for 12 hrs and charges in 4 allowing me to use a power bank.

My Equinox charges up overnight in my car. The hatchback area has a cover (for security) and a 12V socket. If you're car camping you could do the same. The EQ800 comes with 2 charging cables so that 1 can be left permanently attached to the 12V to usb adapter in the back of my car.

also, Mark mentions in one of the videos that 9 hrs would be 'best case', with the 'high power' modes drawing down the batteries quicker. If it were me I'd keep a 20,000 mah brick in my pants pocket with a usb extension cable to the EQ charging cable (taped down with masking tape). Funky but you'd be able to finish up a long day.....

51 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

Mine paid for itself after 3 month in clad only. But conditions have changed a lot the last couple of years..

This year has been the worst since owning the Nox - approx. 1/3 the finds than 2018. That means considering the situation won't get any better, it'll take at least 3-4 years to pay off..

For new finds I could see that.  At least your sites get replenished, albeit at a slower rate then you'd like.  

None of my sites get replenished.  Once they're finished, that's it, time to spend tons of time to research a new site and hope it hasn't already been cleaned out (which 9 out of 10 times is the case).  Given the dynamics of the MC and some great insights into it's operation from Tom Dankowski, I can see this potentially opening up some sites laden with iron and/or deeper finds. 

We shall see, but so far the future's looking bright 😎

2 hours ago, Sinclair said:

How many years does it take to pay it off for you in entertainment purposes? all this talk about how much the machine costs is  irrelevant...if you don't like how much it costs then simply don't buy it...why does it even have to be  paid off?? Are you taking out a loan to buy it and making interest payments lol? I mean its a toy to have fun with not a tool to make a living with... unless of course you really are searching for coins to make a living? 

I once came across another prospector out in the Nevada Desert. We were both using the same minelab detector (7000's) I happened to mention how much I liked my 2300...his reply was that it would take forever to pay it off with all the tiny gold it finds...better to go for the bigger pieces...I told him If I wanted to make money I would have just stayed home..as there is plenty of gold there and it's easy to find...most of us leave the gold mine to go and play in the dirt...but if your circumstances are the other way around then I'm impressed for those of you who can make a living with a metal detector...just sayin

strick 

12 minutes ago, strick said:

How many years does it take to pay it off for you in entertainment purposes? all this talk about how much the machine costs is  irrelevant...if you don't like how much it costs then simply don't buy it...why does it even have to be  paid off?? Are you taking out a loan to buy it and making interest payments lol? I mean its a toy to have fun with not a tool to make a living with... unless of course you really are searching for coins to make a living? 

I once came across another prospector out in the Nevada Desert. We were both using the same minelab detector (7000's) I happened to mention how much I liked my 2300...his reply was that it would take forever to pay it off with all the tiny gild it finds...better to go for the bigger pieces...I told him If I wanted to make money I would have just stayed home..as there is plenty of gold there and it's easy to find...most of us leave the gold mine to go and play in the dirt...but if your circumstances are the other way around then I'm impressed for those of you who can make a living with a metal detector...just sayin

strick 

Good points Chuck!  I feel the same way to a large degree.  I don't, and never have sold a single find because like you, for me, it's not about financial gain.  If it's too expensive, then I won't buy it. Like I never felt the CTX was worthy of it's $2500 price tag.  I know they can be had cheaper, especially on the used market, but it felt like a bit of ML price gouging and it still weighed a ton (and lets be honest, it's not the best relic hunting detector out there anyhow).

That said, it's still super rewarding to make a high value find, and it's great to be able to say a single find paid for the machine.  Plus, and perhaps more importantly it makes the wifey happy and greases the wheel for the next detector purchase 🙄

Same here, I haven't sold a find. 

Being semi-retired, living on USA Social Security and a tiny pension.......I dig pennies and anything else that sounds like a coin or jewelry. I definitely enjoy metal detecting of all sorts for the fun of it, but I also have my eye on how much it costs to buy a detector, pay for gas and how much finds are paying me back for walking my dog........

I don't get stressed over it but I don't ignore how much money goes into the bank from modern US coins and jewelry melt value either.

Much like Deus 2, Manticore does seem to be "weighted" towards salt beach/water hunting. Hopefully that does not skew the whole Manticore towards ignoring many of those small low conductor targets near the salt ground balance point like Deus 2 is presently setup.

Sounds like the entire two batteries instead of one is all about more run-time since Mr Lawrie gave such a short 8 to 9 hour operating time and a long charging time.......... 

Manticore looks like a fantastic detector.