Minelab Missed Opportunity On Manticore And Equinox Controls

The Makro looks good and easy to operate, very different to the Simplex that is an absolute mess to navigate around and I believe the Legend is even worse.

The Manticore is nice and easy, significantly better than the Nox.

It is truly odd they've left the side buttons on there when the Ukranians showed with their Sea Ghost how much better buttons all on the front would be. 

I would guess it's cheaper to stick with the design they've already done with being able to share PCB's easier between models, keeps manufacturing costs lower.

59 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You actually only need like four buttons and a proper menu. To this day I think the Makro Racer 2 had one of the best displays ever.

The Racer 2 was a brilliant machine, and they had a trigger button for the pinpoint 👍 

The Racers (and MMK IMO) employed the KISS method, although there was a lot going on behind the green curtain (or was that door?) to the user, it presented a simple to operate and easy to understand UI.

Fun and deadly, can't ask for more.

• 2 weeks later...

Printed displays are limited in how you can present stuff, but the Racer 2 is a perfect example of how with some clever thinking you can present it in a logical way. 

The side buttons on the Equinox I don't have a problem with any of them, apart from the User button yes - that would be nice to be on the front panel. 

An easy solution to this would have been to just make the All-metal horseshoe a User button and make it assignable like on the GPZ7000. So by default it selects All-metal, but you can assign it to select one of your own custom modes or even factory modes.