Equinox 600 Vs 700 Comparison

I've got both machines so going to post comparisons as I get to try them out. At this point I've only done air tests I wont do real testing until tomorrow but here are my initial thoughts...

Build - Machines look exactly the same. Shaft is much better on the 700. Definitely much improved. It is a few ounces lighter but nothing I can notice when I hold each machine.

Interface - Switching through menus feels nearly the same as well. I was able to easily navigate the menus as I was used to the 600.

Cost - I actually paid more for my 600 when I bought it five years ago as no dealers were offering discounts when it first came out ($650 vs $620)

Now the interesting part...power, depth, tones...

I've only done air tests I will test at the beach tomorrow but there is a difference. I live at the beach so my soil is a sand/dirt mix. Very little EMI unless I am near a powerline or something. I did this test in my backyard where there are no lines or anything else in the ground. Closest house or anything is about 1/2 acre away.

Settings for the air test - 20 Sensitivity, 0 Iron bias, 2 Recovery speed (this is 4 on the 800). These are the settings I hunt with. The only thing I ever change is my sensitivity which hovers from 19-23.

Comparison:

Nox 600 in 5 tones:

Quarter: 10"
10k Ring: 12.5"

Nox 700 in 5 tones and All tones:

Quarter: 11.5"
10k Ring: 13"

Nox 700 in dP tone:

Quarter: 13"
10k Ring: 15"

As you can see from my air test, there is definitely more power in the new gen equinox. In the same tone and settings its slightly deeper. Not sure that will translate to much in real world settings. In the dP tone, its significantly deeper and more sensitive. This is how I used to hunt with my Excal and CZ21. Its very exciting for the beach. I also did test a penny, wheat penny, silver ring, silver nickel, and nickel with similar results in the depth improvement. How will that translate in the ground? Well I haven't tested it yet but I assume its going to translate to significantly more depth when using the dP setting. I think if you are a hunter that prefers the 'beep' tones you aren't going to notice much of an upgrade. If you are like me and looking for depth and prefer the dP type tone, I think this machine might add 1+ inches and really help find whispers when finding deeper targets.

The beach test. I buried a quarter and put both machines on beach 1 and bumped the sens to 22.

Nox600 (5 tone):

10" - Solid target with ID
12" - Nothing.

Nox700 (5 tone):

12" - Solid target with ID
14" - Light  beep no id. I wouldn't hit this.

Nox700 (dP):

12" - Solid target with ID
14" - Solid target with ID
15" - Solid target with ID

I didn't go further but as you can see for a buried recent drop, dP is deepest. The craziest part was seeing the nox 600 just not hit the 12" target at all but the 700 smacking it no problem. Next up for me is testing the nox700 modes, sens, etc. on the beach as I detect.

Consider the possibility that Recovery Speed default settings are no longer the same actual amount of recovery speed and that they may also have differing effects on depth between the two models.

DP tones definitely can eek out a little more depth from my testing on edge of detection targets.

1 minute ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Consider the possibility that Recovery Speed default settings are no longer the same actual amount of recovery speed and that they may also have differing effects on depth between the two models.

DP tones definitely can eek out a little more depth from my testing on edge of detection targets.

Absolutely. The new version supposedly handles EMI better too so that could have an effect. I think any changes to the settings between the versions could change it a lot.

3 hours ago, adamBomb said:

The new version supposedly handles EMI better too

That definitely has NOT been my experience (Nox 900 as susceptible if not more susceptible to EMI vs. Nox 800) to the point that I am just not using the 900 much.  It’s especially chirpy for me in dP which is unfortunate because I was excited about dP for the very reason you cited (eeks out some audible target depth).   Glad your 700 appears to be more stable and EMI resilient than my 900.  Maybe early production lot issues for me.

I also did not eventually notice an improvement in EMI handling.

With the 700/900, I did notice a small improvement in overall depth using DP tones and normal tones, faster recovery speed, better unmasking, slightly better sounding ML 85 wireless headphones along with the awesome physical and ergonomic upgrades. The extremely expanded target ID range was a wash for me. I am glad Minelab includes the ML85s stock with the 700.

I prefer the 600/800 for less iron falsing, target ID stability/consistency and for its tighter target ID scale. I really prefer the Wi Stream Wi Fi WM08 module compatibility along with BT APTX LL headphone/earbud compatibility.

My 800 with Detect Ed carbon fiber shaft and original 11' coil weighs 2.88 lbs

My 900 with stock shaft and newer 11" coil weighed 2.82 lbs.

Thanks for your reports adamBomb!!!

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

That definitely has NOT been my experience (Nox 900 as susceptible if not more susceptible to EMI vs. Nox 800) to the point that I am just not using the 900 much.  It’s especially chirpy for me in dP which is unfortunate because I was excited about dP for the very reason you cited (eeks out some audible target depth).   Glad your 700 appears to be more stable and EMI resilient than my 900.  Maybe early production lot issues for me.

I have yet to take the machine out other than my tests so I am not sure how it will perform...I will update when Ive got 20 or so hrs on it. Though my beaches have low emi so I may not notice.

I run my 900 pretty regularly on 26 sen with no emi issues unless I get within a few yards of a school building or run across underground power lines. I had few issues with my 600, but the 900 is more smoother and proficient. HH jim tn

8 hours ago, adamBomb said:

Absolutely. The new version supposedly handles EMI better too so that could have an effect. I think any changes to the settings between the versions could change it a lot.

I don't know about that. However maybe your particular unit will be able to.