Jim Alaska At Rest

Hello all. Jim would be humbled by the kind words and comforting sympathies for him and to his wife Linda on the forum.

I traveled over the Klamath / Siskiyou mountains yesterday for the graveside service for Jim Foley. It’s about 100 miles from my house to Happy Camp, providing a quiet early morning drive through beautiful country, allowing me to remember Jim. It was comforting.

Jim was laid to rest towards the top of a gentle slope overlooking the small local cemetery in Happy Camp, Ca. It was a small ceremony with folks from his church in Yreka, his family, including wife Linda, daughter Nicole and husband,  son Jim Jr. and 4 fellow prospector/miners.

57C1F01A-BB48-4BBE-A149-E7E5AFD89C3A.thumb.jpeg.30396dfbd4f64eb7a1d244150ea8bf84.jpeg

The simple casket was made by a friend out of local pine with natural rope handles and a cross on top. Six of us unloaded the casket from the back of a pickup and carried it to the burial framework. Family and friends spoke fondly of Jim and his life. Some fine recollections were said about his mining/prospecting in Alaska as well here in northwest California. The minister then spoke of Jim and his commitment to his church and faith. It was really nice, informal. 

7DB9B406-C63F-4F9F-948B-117F0BB4BD5B.thumb.jpeg.5b6db3d3a02961effa6d5f5070d11aff.jpeg

Dave McCraken and I were chatting quietly as we all gathered around the casket. I said to Dave, “ look at that pile of good red dirt from Jim’s grave, what do you think?” Dave says, “well, it’s hard to tell, you can’t see the grey layers where the gold would be with it all shoveled into a pile like that.” We were kinda smiling at each other when a young man sitting with Jim’s family (son in law) said, “what do you guys think, paydirt?”

Like I said, it was real nice, Jim would have liked all of it.

Mike 

• The title was changed to Jim Alaska At Rest

Our gold hunting friends are slowly fading away.  Sorry to see another be put to rest and my heart goes out to the family/friends nearest him.  Each time this happens, so much knowledge is lost to the wayside. It was fun and a pleasure to read his experiences.  Life is not the cycle most of us wish.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had lots of contact (electronic messaging) and phone calls with Jim over the years--a truly great guy.

His body was just not letting him get out into gold country and do what he loved to do anymore, but it's sad that he's gone. Always a good guy to answer questions and to provide help and feedback.

He really will be missed. 

Thanks for the pictures and the write-up, and all the best,

Lanny

It is very difficult to loose a good prospecting buddy.