Overview And Initial Review Of The Accupoint Pinpointer

1 minute ago, Chase Goldman said:

According to the manual, if the ground is highly mineralized or on a salt beach, the answer is yes.

Screenshot_20231128_162712_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.d0532969b33eb85b4c3c8c59ca715ad6.jpg

Thanks!  Somehow I missed that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/26/2023 at 5:12 PM, Bohemia Miner said:

Every time I turn the Pinpointer off, a few seconds later, she says “Disconnecting”.  That’s kind of annoying. 

Bohemia,

During the beta test we were using V1.12 and when turning off the Accupoint, the voice announced "Disconnecting". Since the release of V1.13 I no longer get any audible alerts of "Connecting or Disconnecting".  Initially, I got alot of falsing until I set the sensitivity at 7, and did a frequency shift.  Now I get very little falsing, but on the occasion I do, a simple retune (quick push of the on/off button) solves the problem.   

5 hours ago, MFF18B said:

Bohemia,

During the beta test we were using V1.12 and when turning off the Accupoint, the voice announced "Disconnecting". Since the release of V1.13 I no longer get any audible alerts of "Connecting or Disconnecting".  Initially, I got alot of falsing until I set the sensitivity at 7, and did a frequency shift.  Now I get very little falsing, but on the occasion I do, a simple retune (quick push of the on/off button) solves the problem.   

I'm running V1.13 and am still hearing "Disconnecting" often.  I did a factory reset after the update.  I'll try the frequency shift to eliminate the falsing.

Thanks!

One quirk I have noticed with the Accupoint involves volume and headphone pairing.

For some reason, I experience a faint whine/hum when connected to the headphones (or earbuds) at the low volume setting. That same background noise, however, disappears at the high volume setting. Not a big deal at all, and even though the high volume setting is way too loud for my ears, it's easily solved by decreasing the volume on the headphones. And when using the low volume setting, the faint whine/hum isn't a big deal at all.

Anyone else notice this same thing?

If the shaft button is quickly pressed once (a retune), while the shaft is detecting a nonferrous target, then major depth loss occurs on all nonferrous targets, because the pinpointer tunes out some, to all of the nonferrous signals. That depth loss remains until the pinpointer is retuned to the air, or it's turned off and on. The same depth loss would occur if the pinpointer is retuned to the ground, and there is nonferrous target in its detection field. 

A demonstration of this depth loss is shown in the following video from "Gigmaster". The first part of the video just shows the features and settings. You can skip all that if you want, and go right to 8:38 where the effect is demonstrated:

I would think that would be pretty normal.

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I would think that would be pretty normal.

Yes, it's normal for a retune button. Kind of like the effects of ground balancing over a nonferrous target. 

I posted it in case someone didn't know about the effect, and accidently hit that button when they were near the target, and then wondered why they lost depth. Granted, it would reset once the pinpointer was turned off and on. But, I've come across quite a few people (myself included), in which on many sites, target retrieval occurs in such quick succession, that we just leave the pinpointer on, and hold it in our hand along with the hand trowel. With them 180 degrees apart of course 🙂

My Nokta pointer has 2 buttons on top, so I never accidently press a button. Interestingly enough though, it doesn't have a retune function.

The benefit of the feature is you can hone in on a target, by pressing retune when your pinpoointer is going mad it weakens the signal, then you can narrow the target down more, press it again to weaken it even further and you can get to the spot right where it is, invaluable when you've got quite a big coil and have no idea where the target is in the hole, a big hole and a target giving a big response due to being quite sizeable like a larger silver coin or meaty ring or even worse an annoy can 🙂that just makes the pinpointer go nuts when in the hole.  I use the feature all the time to narrow down exactly where a target is.

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The benefit of the feature is you can hone in on a target, by pressing retune when your pinpoointer is going mad it weakens the signal, then you can narrow the target down more, press it again to weaken it even further and you can get to the spot right where it is, invaluable when you've got quite a big coil and have no idea where the target is in the hole, a big hole and a target giving a big response due to being quite sizeable like a larger silver coin or meaty ring or even worse an annoy can 🙂that just makes the pinpointer go nuts when in the hole.  I use the feature all the time to narrow down exactly where a target is.

Do you do that for a PI pinpointer, VLF, or both?

I mean, I have used a PI pinpointer, and the depth was so superior to VLF, that I could see using the retune method to hone in better. But a low depth VLF? If the target is off to the side of the shaft, then I just angle the tip to hone in on the target.

I do it for all pin pointers.   Most pin pointers are more sensitive on the side than the tip so when you shove it in the hole and it goes nuts the second it's in the hole it's hard to know where it is, press the retune to weaken the signal and you can then narrow down exactly where it is immediately.    Try it, I think you'll like it.