Bad Luck Day First Relic Hunt? Well Sorta.

Had some truck maintenance to do today, afterward I took a ride past one of my permissions. Noticed it had been tilled. Went back to the house and grabbed my D2 with 13" coil,  gear and shovel. It was a great day today, got into the low 70s with a good breeze.20231013_101931.thumb.jpg.9e0d7f58111337a34dc3e6a302255a4e.jpg

We've hit this field pretty hard the last couple of years, I figured I'd have to work for my finds. But 10 minutes in I got a 93. 20231013_103149.thumb.jpg.eb87e31dd6177e9f1870cb6848edc2c9.jpg

I was shocked to get a large copper coin, either a large cent or a King George. Great start anyway, not many large coppers have come from this place. I checked earlier tracks to see if this was missed, but found I was in a spot largely unexplored. Threw it in my bag and moved on happy.

5 hours and over 4 miles later, I was tired and done.

Here's the trash, I'm using my program I used at the campground, and also tried Deep HC like we saw Gary Blackwell use in his latest video, with some minor tweaks. For about an hour or so at the end I switched between the two, and think my program was better. 😀20231013_172231.thumb.jpg.5756b0dbb9d1492957dd8203aa1cf53e.jpg

I managed to collect 4 colors of shotgun shells, some big iron to verify that my programing was ok, and some buck and primers. Even a pull tab!

Here's the stuff too big to put in a display case:20231013_171843.thumb.jpg.793b5dd514f4bca6f503f08b541606c1.jpg

Old spoon handle with a monogram, huge bronze bushing, a small broken off handle and a tire air cap.

And now the haul, it was a lucky day but there was bad luck afoot as you'll see.20231013_175437.thumb.jpg.e2ab9101ac5739b44233c66baa33b82f.jpg

The top 3 coins all do not have enough details to identify them! 😵 the large copper is 28.3mmx2.1mm, possibly a large cent. Second is a wheat with no discernable date, and last but not least, an IHP with nothing other than its thickness to identify it.

On the bright side, got the two piece gold plated button, a nice oval piece of horse tack that probably had something fancier on it, and some buckle bits.

Not bad for getting out in the fields for the first time since May. 🤔 Shoulda brought a knee pad and a bigger pouch. 😀

Well you got some exercise and a tune up for the up and coming peak relic season Bob.Other than that you shoulda brought your mono kneepad and a bigger pouch.😩

That's not a bad hunt at all. Got some nice old there.

Don't mind me 350 I'm in one my Smart A$$ey kinda moods tonite.Honestly I thought that the punchline was going to be that when you returned to your truck you discovered that you lost your nice largie.Did Garys Deep H C program pull your Batteries down quickly?

9 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

Don't mind me 350 I'm in one my Smart A$$ey kinda moods tonite.Honestly I thought that the punchline was going to be that when you returned to your truck you discovered that you lost your nice largie.Did Garys Deep H C program pull your Batterie down quickly?

No worries Doc, I found it funny. One of the best things about this forum are the occasional jabs 🤣 Glad you supplied the punch line! This was kinda a tongue in cheek post anyway.

Indeed it did, I tried it when I first bought the detector and didn't like it much then either. 🤔 However, the go-no go nature of 2 tone Deep HC is intriguing .Gotta say it did great with small stuff, but an 8 hour hunt with it wouldn't be a good idea for the battery. 😀

Going to take some time to prove it, but I'm getting more signals and great separation using a program based on Beach Sensitive with its additional settings, particularly Magnetic Accept/Reject. It's pretty useful. That IHP was at least 10" deep with iron around it.

46 minutes ago, JCR said:

That's not a bad hunt at all. Got some nice old there.

Thanks JCR,

This spot has about 100 or so acres of huntable field. Still quite a bit of old out there apparently. 🙂

40 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Getting the field back made it a good day.

The finds were tasty gravy..😏

Thanks RVP,

You bet it was! I was thrilled to be out in a field with no one around asking if I found anything... 😎 and about 20 other cliche questions.

Once again those fields are releasing the old coins to you, and it couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Don't forget to take the 600 out for a field hunt as you know how she gets when neglected.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Well that's a great start to a new relic season, F350, and you're just getting warmed up, well done! I look forward to all your ancient finds this season. Tally Ho! 😎