My Gold Finds Have Changed Over The Years

Nedkelly

I think you will find that most gold detectorists finds have changed over the years. Especially in over all weight. May be finding more individual pieces but way smaller. That equals more work & effort for less reward money wise. Not to mention the cost of new high end gold detectors & accessories.

D4G

• Like 2

You are spot on when it comes to technology change and the kind of gold being recovered.

Your collection is quite stunning and impressive.  I see quite a few of my old time customers doing quite the same here in the US.  Sure there is the occasional "slug solid chunk" but the reality is more small gold and specimens, as the older technology was missing the majority of what is recovered today.

The new PI's are such a treat (lighter weight) to swing (Garrett Axiom and Minelab GPX-6000) when compared to the older PI's, but at the same time, your kangaroo scrotum sack was loaded will a little more weight of heavy metal too.  Doc used to sell them sacks.

Thanks for being us down memory lane.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

NK, no need to come to Vic or WA when you're getting results like that. I haven't found a multi ouncer since 2005, despite the Golden Triangle being on my doorstep....so you're not alone. I too have seen the changes in gold sizes due to over-detecting of the good patches and technology changes. I'm gonna get an SD2200 and mod it up next year and gonna chase me up a few big'uns fer a change. 

• Like 3

On 11/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, Aureous said:

NK, no need to come to Vic or WA when you're getting results like that. I haven't found a multi ouncer since 2005, despite the Golden Triangle being on my doorstep....so you're not alone. I too have seen the changes in gold sizes due to over-detecting of the good patches and technology changes. I'm gonna get an SD2200 and mod it up next year and gonna chase me up a few big'uns fer a change. 

I just want to cross them off my bucket list. Bit of a holiday really. I bought a modded SD2200 for $1700 off a full-time prospector from WA and he said to make sure I catch up with him when I go there. Between him and his mate they have leases all over the place and I'm welcome to detect on them, so that makes things a lot easier. He doesn't like detecting, they just rework all the old tailings, ect. 

I'm about to chase a few big'uns myself. Hit all the old patches with extra large coils. Most of the surface rubbish is now gone so I'll grid the deeper ground low slow and in multiple directions investigating even the slightest murmur. Just gotta keep reminding myself to be patient. Could be a long time between drinks. Hopefully I'll have to go to the car for the crowbar and shovel. Haven't used them in a while so their a bit rusty. Probably have the small coiltek coil on the 6000 handy as well to use as a pinpointer. I got it all worked out, bet it doesn't go to plan though. LOL 🤣

• Like 1

But you didn't throw it away . 👍

It would be something if all detectors came with claim permissions !

Go show them why they shouldn't have sold it to you .....🤑:nugget:

Maybe that was the plan all along ????? You pay them to teach them how to use a detector  ! LOL 

Either way  , GL+HH 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

But you didn't throw it away . 👍

It would be something if all detectors came with claim permissions !

Go show them why they shouldn't have sold it to you .....🤑:nugget:

Maybe that was the plan all along ????? You pay them to teach them how to use a detector  ! LOL 

Either way  , GL+HH 

Yea,  I'd like to hit their leases and at least get my money back that I paid for the detector. 😆 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nedkelly said:

I just want to cross them off my bucket list. Bit of a holiday really. I bought a modded SD2200 for $1700 off a full-time prospector from WA and he said to make sure I catch up with him when I go there. Between him and his mate they have leases all over the place and I'm welcome to detect on them, so that makes things a lot easier. He doesn't like detecting, they just rework all the old tailings, ect.

Yeah, fair enuff....I'm the same with QLD. Never been there but wanna get it off my chest. Detected in every state except QLD and TAS....'spose I'll get to Tassie one day too. 

Word has always been that the SD's allowed for the deepest detection for big gold. The latest 2200 mods allow for both a low frequency and a latent timing change...couple that with the 'Deep' audio and some large coils and you have something that equals or beats the 7000. A lot of experimentation is needed to select the right coils for the task. Think I'll build my own test patch for that. Fun times ahead for 2024.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1