Metorites Last Night

10 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

I found out the farmer who owns the property that it landed on is going to keep it, and I have asked if I could see if there are any more pieces of it in the area.

A local farmer found the rock when he went out to his wood barn and noticed a hole going through his roof.

He later found another hole in the ground almost 2 foot deep and uncovered the meteorite.

I looked at the rock and it had a hole in it about the size of a pencil all the way through it. It weighed around 11 pounds according to the farmer and it is some what smooth on one side.

I am hoping to be able to get a picture of it so everyone can see it.

Have you reported it on the site I linked?  (Takes five reports to make the list.)

I don't understand the pencil sized hole in a meteorite.  It does make me wonder if it could be a piece of human created (now) space junk.

• Like 1

OK, I have to admit that Valen’s Legacy’s account of the meteorite reminds me of this classic… 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Have you reported it on the site I linked?  (Takes five reports to make the list.)

I don't understand the pencil sized hole in a meteorite.  It does make me wonder if it could be a piece of human created (now) space junk.

I passed that information to the land owner and told him to report it, and to find out more about the meteorite check into the nearby college. I will ask him again to do a report on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

I passed that information to the land owner and told him to report it, and to find out more about the meteorite check into the nearby college. I will ask him again to do a report on it.

Remind him not to break the meteorite, it’s worth more that way! 😉

What an interesting find, any photos and has it hit the local news yet?  Keep us posted!

• Like 1

Just now, GotAU? said:

Remind him not to break the meteorite, it’s worth more that way! 😉

What an interesting find, any photos and has it hit the local news yet?  Keep us posted!

Well it's like pulling teeth on a chicken, he  is afraid that if he reports it the State will tell him to turn it over to them. He sort of hates the government here in Illinois. I wanted to take photo's of it when I saw it but he told me not to at this time. People like him you really want him to share the information when they are comfortable to do so.

Just now, Valens Legacy said:

Well it's like pulling teeth on a chicken, he  is afraid that if he reports it the State will tell him to turn it over to them. He sort of hates the government here in Illinois. I wanted to take photo's of it when I saw it but he told me not to at this time. People like him you really want him to share the information when they are comfortable to do so.

You’re right… good way to help out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 1:47 AM, GotAU? said:

You’re right… good way to help out!

The land owner came by and asked if I would be willing to use my metal detector to locate another piece of the meteorite that is missing from it. I told him that when I get over a bad cold I would come by.

His daughter that is attending college took it to school and it was confirmed to be real.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

I told him that when I get over a bad cold I would come by.

Hope you get well soon. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 12:58 AM, Valens Legacy said:

The land owner came by and asked if I would be willing to use my metal detector

Which metal detector did you take? Seriously, I assume depending on ground mineralization either a VLF or PI but what other criteria would be recommended if a person was considering detecting for meteorites?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HardPack said:

Which metal detector did you take?

I will be using my 800 when I get a good chance to go and look. I will also take my Tracker IV so the land owner can search also.

I have not had a chance to go look as of yet because I have to go when the land owner is there and he works some odd hours.