Last Hunt Of 2023, Not Bad

Invited Chase down to hunt a new permission today, a somewhat remote farm that had a house and a couple of barns on it, the farmer said the house was "very old", but it's gone now.20231218_144953.thumb.jpg.ee8da0158f8e8d16fb300ef11e8af6de.jpg

It's not a large farm, might have been primarily subsistence, but we managed to get a few objects, again a 5-hour 5 mile walk, including the half mile we had to go to get to it. The road to it is still muddy after the rain we got last weekend, so it was risky to drive out there.

We pretty much scoured the entire place, found a few things here and there, where the house was is machine gun iron and sticky clay under the topsoil. Kind of tough to dig.

Here's the trash, lots of copper wire and lead and pull tabs that seemed like they were deeper than the good stuff. 🤔 

20231222_181233.thumb.jpg.10bd166b6697aea60854c69af6719592.jpg

We were both ironically rewarded with a silver coin each near the end, I got a fairly nice 1945 Mercury dime. Can't identify the penny-sized object at all, its thickness suggests it's an IHP.20231222_194317.thumb.jpg.0af482583399b2af7ee60ba5efaa9c53.jpg

Probably won't get out again until after Christmas and New Year's. Really it's best to wait until hunting season ends anyway. 😀

Nice hunt with a few good saves, some of the areas around here that has clay below the topsoil is a good spot for the really old coins. Next time when it is dry try to hit it with the maximum depth that you can.

Good luck on your next outing and stay warm out there.

Merry Christmas.

That's a pretty decent haul.

I love sites with little to no aluminum trash like foil and pulltabs. Although it seems one can go to sites in the middle of nowhere, and still find foil and tabs! So much so, that I've come to the profound conclusion that foil and tabs have the ability to fall from the sky 😁

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

I love sites with little to no aluminum trash like foil and pulltabs. Although it seems one can go to sites in the middle of nowhere, and still find foil and tabs! So much so, that I've come to the profound conclusion that foil and tabs have the ability to fall from the sky 😁

Kids gotta party somewhere, hunters use farm fields to access the woods, and some farmers like to partake in the field, too.  So if you are in a farm field or next to any kind of well travelled road, there is going to be scattered aluminum, and aluminum especially concentrated on the edges.

6 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Kids gotta party somewhere, hunters use farm fields to access the woods, and some farmers like to partake in the field, too.  So if you are in a farm field or next to any kind of well travelled road, there is going to be scattered aluminum, and aluminum especially concentrated on the edges.

Yes of course. It was just a joke Chase 🙂

Any day with coins other than modern coins is a win in my book - silver especially so!

Looks like you have a little buckle in your trash. What are the other discs? Shotgun shells?

For your potential IHP, I think I can make out the letter “T” around the 1:30 position on your picture.  It may be just worn, but the font looks wrong. The T  for an IHP should have hanging edges on both sides.  I also think I can make out part of the forehead, nose, chin line and left neck line (and possibly part of the right neckline and base of back of head) on your picture.  I am guessing you could see part of this because you oriented it right side up in your picture. If that is the case, the T is in the wrong spot.  Just out of curiosity, is it 19 mm in diameter?

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

And when they do, sometimes pull tabs and aluminum are falling at 70,000 mph, and bury themselves deeper than the good finds. 🤣

That's what we saw in this field, the buttons were 4-6", and the aluminum was 6-10". 😠 It was pretty strange. 🤔

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice hunt with a few good saves, some of the areas around here that has clay below the topsoil is a good spot for the really old coins. Next time when it is dry try to hit it with the maximum depth that you can.

Good luck on your next outing and stay warm out there.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks VL, I'll take a silver finish any day! 😅 

Merry Christmas to you and yours, hope you were good enough to stay on the nice list. 😬 🎄🎅

52 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

Any day with coins other than modern coins is a win in my book - silver especially so!

Looks like you have a little buckle in your trash. What are the other discs? Shotgun shells?

For your potential IHP, I think I can make out the letter “T” around the 1:30 position on your picture.  It may be just worn, but the font looks wrong. The T  for an IHP should have hanging edges on both sides.  I also think I can make out part of the forehead, nose, chin line and left neck line (and possibly part of the right neckline and base of back of head) on your picture.  I am guessing you could see part of this because you oriented it right side up in your picture. If that is the case, the T is in the wrong spot.  Just out of curiosity, is it 19 mm in diameter?

Thanks Ghound,

I can't make out anything, but indeed it is 19.02mm.20231223_102148.thumb.jpg.24be43fe673ef96a4e89d55d60f99d3e.jpg

And it's so worn it's 2.6g:20231223_103147.thumb.jpg.4f3901dd0b4b7a998ce936d5de46a107.jpg

Guess at this point it's so shot I could steel wool the snot out of it to see if I get anything. 😏

Yeah, I find so many of those D's I probably tossed it. Had a musket ball too, think I lost it when I took a break but I have a ton of them as well. 

Wow, that is about half the weight it should be for an IHP.  It is closer to the right range for a worn wheat, but it doesn’t look quite right for that either. I zoomed in on the caliper shot and there appears to be a capital S and perhaps a small f following?  Before the S there almost appears to be a number - 24? I wonder if it’s an old token, or perhaps an old state issued coin?  With that much crust could be about anything.  Please post more pics if you can raise any more details.