Last Hunt Of 2023, Not Bad

Nice hunt. Isn't always the case that your digging shallow good targets and so when you dig deep, your excitement gets crushed when you pull out a a stinkin' pull tab 😭 Not sure what your small cent is. They do make small cent store card tokens so it could be one of those. If you want all that crud gone (as well as probably the details of the coin 😲) you could drop it in hot hydrogen peroxide. Saves you more time than the steel wool adventure. Chances are the coin is toast under that crud, so it probably won't matter. But you never know what is under neath that hard crud. I've found the same artifact you have that is just above the Mercury dime. I'm assuming yours is a pewter/ lead draw pull(?), or maybe some leather decoration from a saddle? Interesting old find.

• Like 2

I'm a natural born skeptic it's an affliction.I am also still on the fence so to speak about the July 20th 1969 landing.That said I would not be at all shocked if whomever is the first person to metal detect on the moon didn't uncover a pesky pull tab👽

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Nice hunt. Isn't always the case that your digging shallow good targets and so when you dig deep, your excitement gets crushed when you pull out a a stinkin' pull tab 😭 Not sure what your small cent is. They do make small cent store card tokens so it could be one of those. If you want all that crud gone (as well as probably the details of the coin 😲) you could drop it in hot hydrogen peroxide. Saves you more time than the steel wool adventure. Chances are the coin is toast under that crud, so it probably won't matter. But you never know what is under neath that hard crud. I've found the same artifact you have that is just above the Mercury dime. I'm assuming yours is a pewter/ lead draw pull(?), or maybe some leather decoration from a saddle? Interesting old find.

Thanks!

I'm thinking fancy drawer pull too, but often wonder why I find them at all In a field. 🤔 I suppose it could be a saddle stud of some sort but without what was at the other end of the iron bolt inside I guess that will be a mystery.

I pretty much know now if I get a high signal and have dug 10" or more I'll be finding a crushed beer can, but once I thought so and got a Walking Liberty Half dollar, and another time it was a cavalry Bit boss with US on it. 😵

I'll try the Peroxide first, that's a great suggestion. 👍

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

I'm a natural born skeptic it's an affliction.I am also still on the fence so to speak about the July 20th 1969 landing.That said I would not be at all shocked if whomever is the first person to metal detect on the moon didn't uncover a pesky pull tab👽

Aluminum is one of Earth's most common metals, it had to come from somewhere 🤔 ... Imagine the size of the pull tabs that would be found in some of the craters. 😀

• Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

6 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

Good ending to your year soldier.  👍

Thanks Colonel, well I thought it was my last hunt... 😏 🤯

• Haha 1

I would love to do some relic hunting in Virginia sometime.

Like any other type of hunting ,you got to dig junk to find good targets!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIbeach_hunter said:

I would love to do some relic hunting in Virginia sometime.

Like any other type of hunting ,you got to dig junk to find good targets!

And when you first start, you dig a lot of junk. 😀

Virginia is a history laden state with a lot of restrictions. In one case I got permission to a big tract, and then found out most of it was an easement for a national wildlife sanctuary. Research is very important. Even the waterways have rules.

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

• Like 2

Thank You!

Yes, what a letdown.

It pays to do the research before the hunt!

I do a a certain amount of old coin hunting at old home sites, and colonial cellar holes.

About the oldest coin I've found is a 1723 British Pence.

• Like 2