I've Been Looking Through My Old Pictures Again, Some Made Me Cry...

I have a pile of SD cards that I started looking through.  Every time I have an outing I put a new SD card in my camera so I have plenty of room for videos.  Which is crazy because these cards hold so much.

So this guy has been a very close friend of mine since the beginning of when I got into this.  He's a fellow Minelab dealer.  He's a good Christian, he's gives fantastic support to his customers.  He's invited me to detect on his claim.  I was there when he got married and I have watched his daughter grow up from birth into a beautiful young lady.  This man is just an all around nice guy and you can never go wrong dealing with Rob Allison.  This picture is of Rob and his hunting partner Dennis and I.    Picture date May 2013

DSC01309.thumb.JPG.eb566d3e3f428876ca1b1691a94cdbbb.JPG

These next two people are also dear to my heart.

Both Minelab dealers.  I've known Gerry McMullen forever.  He has single handedly probably trained more people how to use a metal detector than all of us other dealers put together.  Gerry is a no-nonsense guy, former Marine with a very dry sense of humor.  I think Gerry and his wife Michelle and my wife and I have been all over the world to every Minelab annual partner conference that has been held.  You can always count on Gerry to help you out if he can.  Need a machine for  customer, and Minelab is out, Gerry is always willing to loan you a machine so your customer is not disappointed.  Gerry continues to be a driving force in this industry.  He also received Mienlab's coveted EAGLE award for outstanding dealer of the year.

This next person was known as the Gold Lady.  Retta Atkins was such a joy.  She was funny as hell and sort of a miniature Dolly Parton.  If you didn't know her personality I can explain it this way.  If Dolly Parton and Larry the Cable Guy had a baby, that was Retta.

Unfortunately about a year and a half ago Retta and her boyfriend Darren were brutally shot and murdered in a home invasion.  To Retta's spunk and spirit she got off a shot and wounded the assailant in the shoulder.  But that didn't stop him from chasing her into the bedroom and emptying his gun.  The intruder was looking for gold and obviously had insider information regarding Retta and her business.  The world of metal detecting is a sadder place without Retta Atkins in it.  She was a very close friend, we probably spoke every week.  She is missed and remembered by all that knew her.  They thought they had caught her murderer in a shoot out in which the suspected assailant killed himself.  Later it was discovered that was not the person when they arrested the person who was responsible for their murders.  This individual was found with evidence taken from Retta's home and had a healed bullet wound from where he had been shot.  Daniel Matthew Avila, age 25 was arrested in March of 2023 when he was involved in another home invasion and the bullets from that scene matched the bullets from Retta's home.

This picture is of Gerry McMullen and Retta in Sunset Park in Las Vegas Nevada when we were being trained by Minelab on the then new and yet to be released CTX3030.  Picture date May 2012.  The other gentleman in the picture is Greg Johns a former tech with Minelab from Australia.  I think Greg has gone on to other pursuits.  If my memory serves me correctly he purchased a large ranch in Australia which was just amazing in terms of the scenery.  I hope he is doing well.

DSC00099.thumb.JPG.f5d014587fdc2c52b3f3e8827e23801d.JPG

Thank you all for your amazing friendship over the years.  In case you're wondering I'm not going anywhere, but I'm getting that age where I have a heck of a lot more history that I do future.  These folks have been part of that memorable history that I have had.  Thanks guys, and God Bless You Retta.

Doc

Doc, you are missing some pictures!

There are two pictures.  What am I missing?

Doc

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Doc, you are missing some pictures!

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are two pictures.  What am I missing?

Doc

Ok, I didn't recognize Gerry.  My bad.

You can't miss Retta.

Well said Doc, I never had the pleasure of meeting Retta, but I did get training in Rye Patch in 06 or so from Gerry, I also had the privilege of going to Ganes Creek Ak with him and a bunch of guys.  It was great and some nice nuggets were found.  Gerry is a great guy and offers wonderful training opportunities, his trainers are a reflection of his helpful and generous spirit.  

Thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts.  

Doc “The Documentor”  that group above outfitted the Western States Metal Detectorist!  May the 3 Wiseman continue their success in Life and Adventure.

Rick

On 3/10/2024 at 9:28 PM, mn90403 said:

Ok, I didn't recognize Gerry.  My bad.

You can't miss Retta.

That was Retta, she was little but you couldn't miss her.  Even if you didn't see her, you could still hear her.

Doc

Wow Doc,

That is a good picture and I remember that day.  Thanks for always being a special friend.  I will dig up some pictures I have with you and post them when I can.  

I would like to say, Doc has been an amazing friend, but beyond that, one of the best US Distributors for Coiltek products back in the day.  Also, Doc Detecting is one of the best manufactures of prospecting accessories and gear out there.  I highly recommend, support and sell all of Doc's stuff.

P.S.  I sent the picture to Dennis, he said that is when he was Fat and I was skinny ... LOL

God Bless you Doc!

Rob