Deus 2 Jumpy Vdi Vs Equinox 800

I tested 50 gold pieces, rings, pendants and anything gold, with the Equinox 800 and the Deus 2. The Dues 2 numbers were jumpy just by two or three, but it did sound good on most. The Equinox hit strong on everything with a solid number. On odd shaped and small objects of gold even a small gold chain the Equinox sounded much better.  Both were in Park. Why?????

6 hours ago, Rrnp said:

I tested 50 gold pieces, rings, pendants and anything gold, with the Equinox 800 and the Deus 2. The Dues 2 numbers were jumpy just by two or three, but it did sound good on most. The Equinox hit strong on everything with a solid number. On odd shaped and small objects of gold even a small gold chain the Equinox sounded much better.  Both were in Park. Why?????

Equinox 800 has two different Park modes. Which one were you using? Park 2 with all targets accepted would be better than Park 1 since Park 2 has a higher frequency weighting close to 39 kHz and would be my choice if I was testing for various gold targets with many different sizes.

Deus 2 FMF Park mode has a maximum frequency of 24 kHz and has target IDs 23 to 35 notched out by default. Smaller gold targets like chains and micro gold jewelry may have some target IDs in that notched out range and 24 kHz max may not be high enough. I would use one of the Sensitive programs for gold jewelry testing and remove any notches, even 00 to 00 before starting the test.

• Like 3

The power of multifrequency 🙂

We keep equinox on multi.. and he allways hits the strong signal in  fixed VDI, if we talk about the gold, silver or bronze.. Ok, if it is on serious depth.. it can play a little bit.. but it must be a serious depth...

On 3/17/2024 at 3:47 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Equinox 800 has two different Park modes. Which one were you using? Park 2 with all targets accepted would be better than Park 1 since Park 2 has a higher frequency weighting close to 39 kHz and would be my choice if I was testing for various gold targets with many different sizes.

Deus 2 FMF Park mode has a maximum frequency of 24 kHz and has target IDs 23 to 35 notched out by default. Smaller gold targets like chains and micro gold jewelry may have some target IDs in that notched out range and 24 kHz max may not be high enough. I would use one of the Sensitive programs for gold jewelry testing and remove any notches, even 00 to 00 before starting the test.

Jeff,some very interesting information regarding Park 2 prog,thanks for sharing that snippet.Thanks again

• Like 1

The D2 also has over twice the VDI range of the nox, so I would expect a little more fluctuation on any target, especially something not round or not in the shape of a ring.  

• Like 2

I learnt this the slow and hard way with the Manticore, backed it right down to near half way and found the sweet spot for stability and depth for my needs.

• Like 2

Many good, valid points here.  I'd like to add one more: learn your detector.  Hunt with it a lot.  They are all nuanced and have their quirks be it by sound or TID.  Dig your first 1000 pulltabs and I guarantee you will start picking up on subtle differences between them and potentially good targets. 

For many years I was a one detector guy.  I'd save up my finds and then move up and buy another detector.  But only one because that's all that I could afford.  Now I'm spoiled and have too many choices.  If I was totally honest I'd have to say I haven't learned any of them to the degree that I learned my detectors back in the "I only own one" days.

• Like 5

On 3/21/2024 at 9:12 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s nice but target id stability is directly related to mode choice and sensitivity setting. Going for max depth will in most cases cause target id instability.

Not entirely true in my beach hunting experience and depends on detector. But if someone thinks they can hunt at max sensitivity all the time they would be incorrect.

I will give two examples of different machines. I also have unique insight as I routinely look at fringe targets with more sensitivity in mineralized black sand.  
Equinox, Horseshoe on I can hunt it in 21-22 sens, without driving me nuts. When I look at a fringe targets and go to 23-24 sens there is rarely a target that does not ID better. Be it ferrous or nonferrous.  

Deus 2 hunting 91-93 sens. without driving me nuts. Get a fringe target and go to 94-95 sens and iron will almost always wrap-around more and give stronger nonferrous ID's
Maybe 50% of the nonferrous targets has an increase in sound quality and 50%-ish will hold a better ID. 

But there is no way possible to hunt the Equinox in 23-24 Sens, full time, as well for the Deus 2 at 94-95 sens. 

HH Dave

On 3/16/2024 at 9:14 PM, Rrnp said:

If you were doing air tests then it's difficult to make any meaningful inferences. I find that - in the ground - on good targets in benign conditions at least - the D2 TIDs are every bit as stable as the Nox800 ones - even taking into account that the D2 has two or three times more numbers to choose from! 👍

PS Park mode for the D2 is not super-sensitive to small low-conductors, by default.

• Like 2