Something Steve Said..

My son is with me on the island at the moment and we're nutting out the pros and cons of buying an exploration permit in Cape York (see another post).. As we were talking about detector prospecting it struck me the amount of times I mentioned Steve.. As in: 'Steve's timing matrix for the GPX 5000 just about explains all you need to know' or 'Steve explains somewhere about using hot VLF detectors when scrapping away the top layer to find really small nuggets'.. When he asked who Steve was, I was a bit lost as how to explain him.. Somehow I'd made Steve sound like a mate and a guru all at the same time.. So I told him to read what Steve had to say and make up his own mind as to who Steve is.. He read loads of pages I've saved from this forum where Steve explains the finer details about nugget hunting and the technology involved.. 

As he was reading he mentioned that he now understood much better how his Gold Bug worked.. He's been a bit unconventional in how he uses it as he's mainly a panning and sluicing dude and the Gold Bug is used to scan the ground to get an idea of black sand before he starts carting away buckets of soil.. It seems to work for him.. But it's little things like his moment of understanding that made me realize what an incredible source of knowledge Steve is.. I'm not trying to blow smoke up Steve's arse or score any brownie points but when I think about the amount of times I've referred to his wise words it makes me want to nominate him for nugget hunter Sainthood.. 

So thanks Steve, your willingness to share your knowledge is very much appreciated - even by the next generation..        

Thanks Erik. I’ve never been very comfortable with praise so I’m squirming a bit at the moment. The fact is I learned a great deal from others and did well, and this website was designed as being a way to give back. I taught a lot of people how to nugget detect giving classes in Alaska and nothing gave me more pleasure than seeing those people find their first gold nugget. It’s great that you and your son are able to connect via gold prospecting. So while my first instinct is to blow this off with a self-deprecating joke, I think in this case I’ll just say thank you. :smile:

Close to 20 yrs ago about this time of year (There was an incredible wind storm in the Anchorage area that day.  Even had to evecuate the control tower at the airport) I took one of Steves detecting classes at AMDS.  Steve was a great teacher.  Summer found a friend & I at Crow Creek trying to find our first detector nuggets.  Ran into Steve & he gave up the next couple of hours of his personal hunting time to help my friend & me each find our first nuggets.  It was an incredible display of his generocity, and proof that he does indeed find great joy in seeing that smile on someones face when someone not only finds their first detector nugget, but also understands why it was there & how to do it again.

Thank you Steve!

in addition to using black sand as a guide to where to dig your gravel for gold panning or sluicing, look for bird or buck shot that is corroded white. They tend to hang out in the same traps in small creeks and branches. Found decent amounts of gold in north georgia using that method with the Fisher gold bug back in the late 1980's.

On 3/22/2024 at 7:27 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks Erik. I’ve never been very comfortable with praise so I’m squirming a bit at the moment. The fact is I learned a great deal from others and did well, and this website was designed as being a way to give back. I taught a lot of people how to nugget detect giving classes in Alaska and nothing gave me more pleasure than seeing those people find their first gold nugget. It’s great that you and your son are able to connect via gold prospecting. So while my first instinct is to blow this off with a self-deprecating joke, I think in this case I’ll just say thank you. :smile:

Nice Steve, but Eric is correct in what he says.

D4G