Minelab Manticore On Sale

10 hours ago, longbow62 said:

aluminum infested nightmare of a site.

I've got one of those sites too. I nicknamed it "Canslaw Beach". I mainly go there just to hunt the water which doesn't have as much slaw as the sand. I have no idea why it's just only in about a 2 mile stretch of beach, but I do know it's sand from a renourishment project. So not only did they sand the place in, they screwed it for years to come with all the slaw. :angry:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Tony said:

I know what you mean.....the design of the coil has a lot of 90 degree leading edges that "grab" the sand (especially wet) but not too much of a problem. The ribbing traps sand underneath and you need to clean this out if you can. I'm tempted to not use the coil cover as the trapped sand and water stays trapped.......you do notice the extra weight.

Yep.. I'm at the point where I just leave the coil cover off whenever I hunt a sandy beach....how long do you think it would take to wear through the epoxy filled coil and ruin it? depends on how much you hunt right...for me it would be a very long time...by then I would have got my moneys worth and happily buy another coil to replace it. 

curious has anyone ever worn through their coil and ruined it? anyone have any pictures of what a ruined beach hunters coil looks like? 

strick 

I think I am going to try hunting without the coil cover as well. It fills with water and sand so easily which adds a lot of weight. When hunting on the wet slope I fond I am constantly tilting the coil to try and drain the water so it's not so heavy.

Couldn't you buy another coil cover and glue/epoxy a solid thin piece of plastic to the bottom to make the coil glide over the top of the sand easier?

I think that would work.

For me, the issue isn't so much the gliding, as how much sand gets in between the cover and the coil.  Mostly desert, but occasional beach.  Taping or gooping or whatever would help with that a lot I'm sure.  But anymore, I just take the cover off in those conditions.

FWIW, which is not much, my M-11 has been 85% used on grass and I've already worn a small hole through the cover.  I'm a ground scrubber though.

- Dave

35 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

FWIW, which is not much, my M-11 has been 85% used on grass and I've already worn a small hole through the cover.  I'm a ground scrubber though.

Yea the covers are thin and cheap sometimes they warp and are hard to get a tight fit...so seems like gotta have extra coil covers when hunting in dirt...sand seems a bit different much easier on coils from my experience...but what do I know I don't get to hunt every day like some of the retired folks can...maybe you can wear through a epoxy made coil without a cover in one years time beach hunting? I'd like to know from someone that gets to hunt 4-5 days a week year around... 

strick 

Yup.  I don't think I'd ever wear a hole in the coil itself if I never used a cover.  It would sure look like crap though :laugh:.

- Dave

On 4/21/2024 at 4:32 PM, Tony said:

I know what you mean.....the design of the coil has a lot of 90 degree leading edges that "grab" the sand (especially wet) but not too much of a problem. The ribbing traps sand underneath and you need to clean this out if you can. I'm tempted to not use the coil cover as the trapped sand and water stays trapped.......you do notice the extra weight.

I have always sealed the edges of the coil of all detectors that I have ever had.  I used black-color RTV silicone on the two Equinox 800, and plan to do the same with the 8" and 11" coils  of the new Manticore I purchased a few weeks ago.  I did upgrade the firmware, but I have to wait until the snow melts and the ground thaws.  This should happen past mid May or so.  I just make sure to not get silicone between the coil and the cover, and that's about it.  But it takes time and a good supply of tight-fitting Nitrile gloves, and rags. You can also use the blue color paper towels used at mechanic shops, but I just use cotton and other rags instead of terry cloths and towels.

4 hours ago, RayfromAK said:

I just make sure to not get silicone between the coil and the cover, and that's about it

I don't understand where you're saying you put the silicone Ray. So you're putting silicone on somewhere AND using the coil cover?

I rave about the Manticore all the time to one of my digging buddies. He broke down and ordered a Manticore this past weekend. It should be in this week. He has them all and swings the D2, Legend, 900, and CTX. I'm looking forward to seeing what he thinks about it.