Pulse Induction & VLF In One Detector. Don't Piss On My Dream.

• The title was changed to Pulse Induction Depth/power & VLF Discrimination/sensitivity In 1 Detector. Don't Piss On My Dream.

• The title was changed to Pulse Induction & VLF In One Detector. Don't Piss On My Dream.

It seems like since a concentric coil has two windings that the one smaller windings could be separated out and used on the vlf side and the larger windings could be used on the pulse side. Basically two mono coils in one.

• Like 6

Handy as a shirt pocket & sell like hot cakes comes to mind.

• Like 2

The GPZ is kinda a PI/VLF hybrid on steroids in some ways already, though I guess neither truly. 

I'm unsure why discrim can't be implemented on ZVT, but if it really can't then it might be interesting to have a button/trigger that kicks it momentarily into VLF mode for target analysis. Or another trigger to kick it into PI mode for salt detecting and quicker differentiation between conductive soil noise and targets. A concentric coil works on all 3.

This is the kind of stuff I've been saying for ages that is possible (in theory) with modern circuitry and components increasing in capability and decreasing in costs. As to how feasible it is in the field/actual conditions/usability, no clue.

• Like 2

Since we are thinking outside the box.... Why couldn't a detector also incorporate some AI into it? Then based on what signals are processed it can determine whether you should dig the target or not. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sourdough Scott said:

. Why couldn't a detector also incorporate some AI into i

AI only sound off on gold targets pretty please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately AI takes a huge amount of processing power (and energy), or requires cloud (internet) connectivity to run remotely. It's pretty awesome for doing things like coding or writing because it has specific rules, and can run in the cloud on remote supercomputers. Or vision interpretation because there is a huge amount of visual data all around us for it to train on.

The problem is niche topics that are also highly interpretational - like figuring out what signals to dig while detecting - would be very difficult to train an AI on, especially since environments change so often place to place.

Much better (for now) is algorithmic approaches - largely classed under "signal processing". This can be handled with lower power, onboard hardware and software. Detectors are still underutilizing the capabilities here. 

However, in terms of EMI reduction there may be some AI approaches that make sense soon, since AI does have capability to find patterns, and thus differentiate things like noise which aren't part of the patterns it finds. However, AI is incredibly slow compared to dedicated algorithmic signal processing hardware. 

• Like 9

From a prospecting prospective, imagine detecting downslope from a ridge into a deep ravine moving from deeper soils to shallow bedrock. As you move out of the ravine up the opposite slope you discover a surface quartz vein hidden under the brush; or you find yourself in the middle of the original old mining site. By now the truck containing the second detector is a few brush covered miles away plus several 100 feet in elevation change. Yeah, I would be definitely be interested in a dual PI/VLF metal detector. 

• Like 6