1, Equinox Tones & 2, Saltwater Sensitivity

Cabo Chris

Steve, is there anything new you can now talk about the Prototype Equinox tones?  Are they simple solid beeps or like FBS with variance?  I.E. with BBS on can hear the mix of alloys within the target tone.  I suspect the NOX tone beeps are solid?  What do you think about 50 tone?  Is there a tone differentiation between say a common pull tab and a 14K gold ring?  Is the 50 tone good for discriminating by ear?  I suspect 50 tones may be too many to accurately differentiate?   

Perhaps you do not know/Can you say anything about Prototype sensitivity-  I'm not sure but it looks like in NOX vids, the sensitivity is cranked up for max depth?  If you do not know, perhaps you can elaborate on Equinox Prototype in average ground, depth loss say at 50% sensitivity compared to 100%?  For instance on a deep coin hit, at what point of sensitivity reduction will the same target be lost?  I'm trying to get an idea what might happen in saltwater where sens most likely will have to be reduced.           

The closest I can come to describing what the Equinox sounds like can be found in this previous thread. The video there is better than any verbal description I can muster. Like Nuke em says, not that different than X-Terra but much faster.

50 tones is not much different than running full tones on many detectors. Lots of people do not like full tones because they consider them too "busy". Almost nobody hears 50 distinct tones - depending on your ear they tend to run together/lump up. It really depends on the individual and what they are doing but reality is some people just don't like full tones and others, like me, use it a lot. Many trash items in particular throw off multiple target id numbers and full tones reveals that audibly, where limiting the tones reduces the possible audio responses.

Since the tones are tied directly to the target id there is a tone difference if there is a target id difference. A ring and a pull tab with the same target id will sound the same. If they are slightly different target id numbers the tone will also be different, but only if your hearing lets you hear that difference!

It is not a lot different than running a CTX 3030 in 50 tones although the tones do not sound as "hollow" to me on the Equinox as CTX and the responses can of course be much faster.

There is a lot more to say about full tones but I need to write it up right with illustrations, etc. so look for more on that in the next week.

As far as sensitivity and how it correlates to reduced depth I have not attempted to figure that out precisely. Most of my detecting has been done around 18 - 22 and 23, 24, or 25 where ground and electrical interference allows.

Is it possible the tones may sound different Steve because of the phones?   CTX is an odd bear when it comes to getting the best out of them to the phones and may well be the cause of the hollow response.   Ive heard these phones are an upgrade.  Possibly they went from 3 pins back to just 2 as well.  Ive notice more of a clipping of the tones ...... maybe because the CTX processes signals faster.   I was sure hoping they stayed with the CTXs ability to use those bins for tone adjustments.   Ive heard good things about the EQs use on wet SALT sand, but not in the water yet.

Speaking of tones ... I can only use my CTX in Smooth or Long.  Is this an option on the 800?

Mitchel