One Year Anniversary

It was one  year ago to the day on Christmas eve morning when I found one of my favorite gold rings at a local park/soccer/baseball field. Being somewhat superstitious I could not let the day go past without trying agin so this past Christmas eve I once again hit the park early in the morning. I've hunted this park many times and have cleaned most of the good targets so I'm down to digging almost everything that is not iron. This find is a good example of why you really should dig everything...I had the CTX in wide open screen and could barely hear this target in the 12.03 range. Target trace was weak and I almost passed it up because 99.9% of the time, a target in this range, that acts that way with target trace on is either "can slaw" or a thin piece of foil... But this time it was a nice 14K gold grill...my second that I've found. It's right at 8 grams. After I got it out of the ground I started passing it over the coil to see how it hit and depending on which way you were holding it would change the signal strength. It has a complex shape to it which also complicates the signal strength. I think it must have been upright when I found it about 4-5 inches deep in the turf. Anyway thanks for looking fellas and here are a couple pics of the ring along with the grill as well as some other jewerly finds from this past Fall/Winter. 

strick 

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail-3.jpg

20170821_140357.jpg

20170904_124246.jpg

Very nice and good mojo too...

I have found that many people do not appreciate how the orientation of the target affects the reading. Most do their testing with the classic flat, broad surface on the ground...that is not real world...if you haven't done this; take a nickel and put in the ground sideways, same with a gold ring...you will usually see a completely different reading...

fred

Fred I always figure I have something to learn with this hobby. I've been using the CTX exclusively since 2014 and I still feel I have more to learn about this machine. Deep sideways nickels can be tough and I know I've passed up lots of them...makes me wonder how many deep sideways gold rings I've walked over and not dug.

Steve I did not do all that well last year either but I did not hit it as hard as I did the two previous years. I hope to get out more this year. I notice my wrist is starting to ache after a half day of using  the Lesche hand tool. I hate to take my small Lesche shovel to a park but I might have to in a few years lol. 

strick

Congratulations Strick on such a cool find. Good for you that you stuck with it to pull out the gold even if the numbers weren’t there.