Blasphemy, Pure Blasphemy!

1 hour ago, MontAmmie said:

I was using Beach 2, I don't care for Beach 1 either.  I left the recovery speed alone and had the sensitivity on 20-21 most of the time.  I did experiment with different settings until I found the ones I liked best.  I think having the all metal mode on made the most difference and I won't be hunting without it again.  After I dug a few bottle caps it wasn't hard to weed them out.  Today I worked on eliminating canslaw.  And there was a ton of it at Canova!  It seems like it's not so much the tone or the VDI number that matters so much, but the stability.  If you get the same solid number in every direction with not even a hint of an iron grunt then most of the time it's either a coin or some little doo-dad like a snap or a button that's not really trash.  It might be my imagination, but the Equinox seems to like roundness in a target and will tell you if something is circular if you learn what it's saying.  Does that make sense?

I still dont think its that deep . But i think i have the audio sorted now.

13 hours ago, Nuke em said:

Am on the way to the beach now. Which mode do you use ?

Sorry I missed this as I too was on the way to the beach.  I guess I am in the minority of liking beach 1.  It is doing what I need it to do at my little beach park including hitting deep at the wet sand tide line and hitting small mid conductors (mostly aluminum but did manage some small gold too) in the sand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, abenson said:

I also found the Equinox is almost as deep as the Infinium and you avoid all the junk. The TDI pro is still deeper though.  I had the TDI and Equinox  out yesterday comparing deep signals. I  found an old brass key tag and 1915 Barber Quarter the Equinox couldn't get, both were in the 14 to 16 inch range.

On the flip side the Equinox can sure separate the good stuff from the junk. I missed a another brass key tag next to a piece of iron with the TDI that the Equinox locked right onto.

Yeah, I would trade my Infinium in on a TDI Pro in a heartbeat, if I could find a used one at a reasonable price.  I'll probably be using the Equinox for all of my water hunting from now on.  It's just so much easier without that cord connected to a heavy box hanging on your waist.  Our surf is usually too rough to dig anything very deep anyway. If you can't get it in one or two scoops, you're probably not going to. 

Come on MineLab, I need some waterproof headphones please! (After everybody that wants an Equinox gets one).

6 minutes ago, MontAmmie said:

Yeah, I would trade my Infinium in on a TDI Pro in a heartbeat, if I could find a used one at a reasonable price.  I'll probably be using the Equinox for all of my water hunting from now on.  It's just so much easier without that cord connected to a heavy box hanging on your waist.  Our surf is usually too rough to dig anything very deep anyway. If you can't get it in one or two scoops, you're probably not going to. 

Come on MineLab, I need some waterproof headphones please! (After everybody that wants an Equinox gets one).

In other words you need a lightweight waterproof Minelab Infinitum or Minelab TDI if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Didn't know you could take a TDI into the surf, lol, so that is not happening.

I still think Equinox is plenty deep at least as far as a VLF is concerned and it is nice not to have to dig it all regardless of depth like you generally have to do with a PI.  So I think it is a pretty good, if not ideal, balance between depth, weight, and ability to discriminate targets as far as wet beach hunting is concerned.   So, Blasphemy, indeed!

• Like 1

The machine seems good enough on air tests but I can't get that depth in ground. I nearly max the machine . I will charge up the Nox and wm08 and decide which to use at 4am tomorrow. Nox or E 11 ? Leaning towards E. 11.

39 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

The machine seems good enough on air tests but I can't get that depth in ground. I nearly max the machine . I will charge up the Nox and wm08 and decide which to use at 4am tomorrow. Nox or E 11 ? Leaning towards E. 11.

Nuke - I know you are about ready to Nuke the Equinox, lol, it has been a struggle for you so far.  What is the deepest recovery you have managed in wet sand, mode setup, and target metal type (i.e., give me a mid conductor and a high conductor example) so I can compare notes with you?  Also, if your sand is black then Equinox dials back transmit power automatically (in Beach mode only) which can affect raw depth but helps with detectability under those conditions (improved SN ratio).  I have been hitting both high and mid conductors at 1+ foot in wet sand (haven't ventured into the water other than coil dips) and the signal is typically an unmistakable dig me using stock Beach 1 mode, Auto Noise Cancel, no GB, and no changes to any of the other defaults.

The Equinox won't be going anywhere. The beaches I search are mixed surface and iron everywhere and trash too. Aluminium mostly. 

To me the Equinox is a salt tolerant Terra 705 which will come in handy for fresh losses between the tides. 

When I see YouTube searches I rarely see deep targets found , usually 6 or 7 inches or a medium sized spade depth . The Terra is the same in hard ground but in airy ground better. 

Will be out again tomorrow but which machine is a ?

• Like 1

My only advice is to keep grinding away with the Equinox to really put it through its paces (until you are convinced you can't learn anything further about its capabilities) and...stay away from you tube.  Lol. Regardless of which machine gets the nod tomorrow, happy hunting, sir.

The beaches aren't helping either . piled high in everything but what I want . a nice flat sandy beach would be lovely. I might take a piccy or two of the state of play . where I need it good is where its bad right now or was yesterday.