Some Finds From Hunts

Okay guys, here is a quick run down on being behind the Nox for a few weeks now.   Pictures are worth a thousand words so I will make each one brief as I can.  First picture is of a box I just emptied my pouch out into.  I actually had not emptied my trash pouch from all my hunts with the Nox.  So there you see just what I've been digging the most of.  You will see there ain't no can slaw or micro tiny pieces of aluminum in there.  What you see are the good finds and bad mixed together.  There are a few pull tabs, several aluminum screw caps and some other odds and ends.  

40979152891_02629e3726_b.jpg20180323_222234 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

Site 1 - My yard.  I put a description of it on the picture in red letters.  The jest of my yard is this...it once had an 1850s house that sat on it, and several out buildings.  By the time the 1980s rolled around, nobody was living in it any more and without any upkeep, things go down hill. The place was pretty much dilapidated, so they took a dozer and had some fun.  We bought the place in the 1990s and I started detecting some time in the mid 90s.  Since then, every detector I've ever owned has been over it and over it and over it.  With each new model that came out, I would have to see if it brought anything new to the surface.  Some times it did.  Most times it didn't.  It is loaded with iron and tin from the roof of the house and outbuildings, nails, door hinges, etc.  This place was picked clean of high conductors by the CTX and eTrac and a plethora of coils for them.  I was so desperate for signals that I eventually got to where I would dig anything that was above the 32 Fe line on the CTX, and had it worked down to where I could go out set up like that, and not hear or dig anything.  Enter the Nox.  I wasn't expecting it to do much HERE....maybe in other places but not here for some reason.  That has not been the case. I've found things every time I take it across the yard.  Starting with a pocket watch case that isn't pictured (its in my display case...forgot to get it out).  Then a Spencer shell casing, then it just kept going.  I'm still not done!  The majority of this is found with digging only the 15 and up signals.  There are so many in the 0 to 14 range that it will take a while to see what all they are.  

39170583730_fe240538a0_b.jpg20180323_222509 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

Site 2 is also on my property.  I am clueless to what it really was, but in the early going I believed it was an old home site.  However, lack of any home items like spoons, forks, etc has me rethinking it.  All we've really found there are buttons and a few coins.  There is evidence that something with a coal burning stove or furnace was there.  But we've dug buttons by the boo coos and MOST of them with the shanks still attached.  There was a mill that sat on the creek beside my house, and this place is within 200 yards of that.  I have seen videos and hunts where guys are sifting and finding lots of buttons like this in areas for mills...something about them taking the clothes and using that material, and discarding the buttons.  That might explain why so many buttons are here. No way that one family had THAT many clothes back then.  I'm up to around 20ish with the Nox, and at least 100 over the years.  Last machine to do any good in there was the MX Sport and Deus.  It's a good test with the coal cinders and iron that are here.

40979153421_8a54a3b776_b.jpg20180323_222658 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

Site 3 is my bullet fields.  If you've known me over the years on the forums, I talk about this place a lot.  HIGHLY mineralized soil.  The only VLFs to work in it are the ones with all metal modes.  It generally takes a pulse machine to pull anything out of here any more.  I have several videos of detectors at this place failing to produce signals on bullets we've located and then live dug.  Some HEAVY hitting machines too.  The Nox was a surprise here.  It was best to run it in Field 2 or Park 2 mode with iron disc turned off...these bullets were deeper because we've hammered it with pulse machines and anything shallower or mid range has been picked over.  Just to be able to pick up a bullet there past 6 inches is really saying something.  These were coming in down to 11 inches in disc mode.  I was super happy after this hunt.  

39170584110_a25535d941_b.jpg20180323_222821 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

40979152471_b95fc7b9de_b.jpgnox by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

Site 4 is a local site in my town.  We stumbled on it several years ago and its on of the places that actually has mild soil around here.  Other VLF machines really put a hurting on it...I remember a buddy of ours hunting it with a 10x12 SEF coil on his V3i and digging 3 ringers crazy deep with it.  I did the same with an MXT Pro and Ultimate coil.  I actually only had about 20 minutes of day light left in the evening to hunt.  There is one specific spot where coke slag is everywhere and most detectors have fits around it, except the pulse machines...and then they run into the problem of there being lots of iron in that area.  I specifically wanted to see how the Nox fared in that spot.  I need to go back there for sure.  

40979153641_5511143e0f_b.jpg20180323_222928 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

So what do you notice about the finds in the pics?  Lots of low and mid conductors!!  And not a lot of can slaw and slivers like people are thinking they are going to dig with the Nox.  Actually my biggest trash item is probably the aluminum bottle caps at this point. They sound really nice...especially those yellow ones in the junk box with Mayfield on them.  Those are milk container lids.  I am more than happy and impressed with my machine and I know a lot more goodies are going to come.  The thing to keep in mind here is these are places I and hunting buddies have hunted for years.  I mean hunted into submission. The kind of place where when they ask "where are you going..." and you say where, they are like "Oh...well I gotta go count 4 leaf clovers in the yard, have fun".  lol  

That is so cool to have so much history under your feet. There are so many stories in all those 3 ringers and buttons. Great job on the recoveries. 

Awesome finds and fantastic write-up about what you've observed.  Over the years I remember your posts of hunting in all metal mode for CW bullet in highly mineralized fields.

Quote:

"Site 3 is my bullet fields.  If you've known me over the years on the forums, I talk about this place a lot.  HIGHLY mineralized soil.  The only VLFs to work in it are the ones with all metal modes.  It generally takes a pulse machine to pull anything out of here any more.  I have several videos of detectors at this place failing to produce signals on bullets we've located and then live dug.  Some HEAVY hitting machines too.  The Nox was a surprise here.  It was best to run it in Field 2 or Park 2 mode with iron disc turned off...these bullets were deeper because we've hammered it with pulse machines and anything shallower or mid range has been picked over.  Just to be able to pick up a bullet there past 6 inches is really saying something.  These were coming in down to 11 inches in disc mode.  I was super happy after this hunt."  

Actually you were very instrumental in my decision to buy a PI machine to hunt similar sites in my area many years ago.  I might add, the largest gold ring ever found was with my PI at the location I bought the PI for in the first place.  Thanks to you. 

The weather here has hampered my hunting trips, either below freezing and high winds or at least one snow storm each week since I received my Equinox.  And another snow storm is due to day (6-8"), but spring is around the corner.

I am a coin shooter but this thing amazing. I have had this thing since the 14th of March and  13 hours on it.  The pile of coins on the left are from heavily hunted parks using my E-Trac from Jan 2,  till March 13th and the pile on the right is a new park with the Equinox 800 in 13 hours. There is over $20 in clad quarters and I never counted the dimes or pennies.

5ab67e958f8bf_eqinox800pic.thumb.jpg.6534ebc39ee19faf878ccb7a5c573615.jpg

I did $4.91 this morning in 1-1/2 hours and $3.77 yesterday morning in 1 hour. I found a park I know has been hunted but most people pass it by thinking it is hunted out. The deepest coin I found at that park has been 6" most in the top 2". I am hitting it again in the morning. I try not to attract attention so I go at daybreak. I know of an unhunted old soccer field I am hitting next. After I get to learn the machine well i am going to try relic hunting and going to AZ sometime this year after I am confident in my ability with it to try for some gold