It's Not Always What You Find

mn90403

I had some afternoon time today and decided to see what the wind blew in to the southern California beaches.  The tides are bad, the waves are small and it took me over a mile before I had my first target penny!  These are the same beaches where I've found lots of targets in the past but these small wind waves are only moving sand.  It is all deposit mode, sanded in as you might say.

On the way back I decided to do a bit of blanket line near a surf break.  I found a little spill for about $1 in change when a surfer came up to me and asked if I had found his Toyota key.  I had only been there about 5 minutes and I told him I had not but I'd help him look if he knew EXACTLY where he had sat and picked up his roll on the way to his car.  He showed me and I began circling that area and he dragged his foot along the path he took to the parking lot.  I followed that line with my Nox 800 and the 15" coil and found a couple more coins but not his key.  I did a double width pass on his path and then told him I had no results after about 25 minutes.  He was bummed and wanted me to take his number in case I found it but I said I was leaving and there was no chance I was going to find it tonight.

He said thanks for helping and we parted.  On my way back to my parking spot I saw the lifeguard truck ahead of me watching the sunset.  I went up to the guy and he cracked his window and wanted to know what this metal detectorist wanted.  I told him a surfer was looking for his key and I had been helping him and he reached down into his lap and says, "I have it, where is the surfer?"  I pointed him out about 1/3 of a mile down the beach and he took off.  I watched as the surfer went over to the truck and took the key from the lifeguard.

It would have been nice if the surfer could have spotted me and waved or even the lifeguard could have come back and said something but that did not happen.  I didn't find the surfer's key but I did find a story with a happy ending.

Mitchel