jasong

Woody Detector Mods - Are These Legit or Bogus?

Hi Gold Hound,

I too have heard many good things about the Little Ripper over the years.

It's too bad they are no longer available.

Hi Gold Hound,

I too have heard many good things about the Little Ripper over the years.

It's too bad they are no longer available.

Yeah I kept one of mine when I sold my 5k because I knew I would never be able to get one again if I wanted to use a gpx series detector again.

Ismael is a top bloke you only have to speak to him on the phone and you will soon learn that he will not lie or promote useless mods.

He will freely tell you the limitations and what the mod is useful for.

And he will go out of his way to help you if there is a problem with one of his products even if you broke it!

He's a pretty successful prospector too he knows his stuff. 

• Like 2

I had no problems dealing with Ismael--- He did exactly what he said he would do and it quieted my 3500 down in some extremely hot ground---Matter of fact we call it the Hot patch

I had it done last year to a brand new 4500 demo I got for a good price sent it to Australia and Peter did the full mod on it and sent it back it cost 1600.00 US and 65.00 US shipping he pays return postage only time I have used it was in my test garden where the EMI is absolutely awful  I tried different setting especially in the manual tone because when you get the mod back automatic tune is void and had a lot of trouble getting it quiet and never really did with mono and DD coils I have a un-moded 4500 and the area I speak of gives it trouble but it is useable I am taking the mod out next week to the boondocks where EMI is low and turn it loose. I didn't purchase the EMI filter because according to Peter it is incorporated in the mod. He has a 5 year warranty on his work and will stand behind it.I hunt Civil War relics so I am keeping my fingers crossed because if I can't get it quiet I will send it back. I will post feedback on the hunt.     

I bought one of those emi filters and didnt notice any difference but everytime I bumped it on a bush or something the detector went nuts so I took it off:blink:-Years ago I had a 2000 and sent it to finders in AU and had a couple of mods done to it and when I got it back it was like night and day the mods really woke it up:wink:-wish I still had it:tongue: Mike C...:ph34r:

• Like 1

Interesting information in this thread, thanks.

All the best,

Lanny

Peter Woodland s modified detectors are amazing.Unfortunately the Biased meter blurs the waters here,as far as the closer you get to the Dealer s and there rep s the more untruth s are spoken.

Jp here in Oz has slowly but surely has also been faced with this many times and now unlike in the past is a little more tight lipped.

He knows where his bread and butter is.

From personal experience and the Gp Extreme i own ,which is fully modded by Peter i will never sell it.I HAd a 4500 and worked and lived in the WA goldfields for 10 years and my Gp Extreme matched and yes beat the 4500 on some occasions.Love the 4500,but not as much as my Extreme.

Anyway im not bagging Minelab just some are truly unable to see past there wallet when it comes to expressing honest proven information.

Peter at Detector mods has found some spectacular gold with his modded machine ,the likes of which almost all on this site will never.However the doubts and criticisms keep flowing.

Again this is not a personal attack on anyone's ability but 30+ ounce nuggets are far between!.

Currently own and run 3 x Minelabs....

Ash

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      Has anyone had any experience with these things? 

Electromagnetic and magnetic interferences could be extremely annoying when you are looking for that hard to find gold nugget. Most of the noise is picked up by the search coil but a significant level of noise is being picked up as well by the sensitive electronics inside the control box.
      The control box is made of aluminium therefore the magnetic field easily penetrates it.
      To prove that, approach a magnet to the right side of your detector when switched on. 
      Millions of less obvious noise signals are interfering with your detector.  
      We have developed this Shield from the best quality material primarily used in sensitive 
      medical and scientific electronics. After years of studying and testing different materials we have found this one ticks all the boxes. 
      I have revisited the places where I've previously cleaned up and found more gold after installing the shield.
      It is 0.35 mm thick, held firmly around your control box by the armrest and  the new improved version with dual layer shielding on the right side is only 175 g!
      We have tested it on the GPX 5000 with amazing results such as quieter threshold, better GB, resulting in slightly increased depth.
      The shield allows you to increase the Rx gain by a notch or two without compromising the threshold. Use Inverted Response when hunting for big deep nuggets. 
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNETIC-INTERFERENCE-REDUCER-SHIELD-FOR-MINELAB-GOLD-DETECTORS/232594646908?hash=item3627b8a77c:g:8lEAAOSwYGFU0bvu
      I noticed it on Ebay today while I was looking for a cover for my GPX.
      I have noticed I've been able to quieten down my GPX by opening the control box up and scraping some paint away where the shielding touches the casing, on one end they had scraped away paint from one screw point during production, and the other end had no paint scraped away at all by the factory so it's sheilding was basically useless.  By scraping paint away from a few areas on each end of the detector I was able to give the GPX a bit of a noticable quieten down.  I am sure on later models Minelab would of scraped away more paint but as mine is a very early model made in Australia version this wasn't done.

• By phrunt
      So now I've got a Gpx 4500 my phobia of headphones is really getting to me, I hate the things.  
      I want to hook up an external speaker to it, I have tried an external speaker I had laying around and unfortunately the amp on the battery doesn't kick in using it so I assume its to do with it having a stereo plug on it.  
      Kiwijw mentioned he thinks you need a mono plug for the amp to kick in, if this is the case I'll just cut the end off and add a mono plug but I wanted to be sure before doing this that's what kicks the amp in.
      I've also ordered what seems to be the popular speaker for the 4500

However it comes with a 3.5mm mono plug, so I'd need to change that to a 6.5mm plug (1/4")
      The problem I see is they're being advertised for GPX detectors looking like this

So they've put a stereo plug on that one, and advertising it for GPX 4500's
      Would that not mean the amp won't kick in and you'd need a booster? 
      Does anyone know for certain what makes the batteries amp kick in? 
      Even JP sells his one with the stereo plug, I'm puzzled
      https://outbackprospector.com.au/jonathan-porter-gold-prospecting-external-speaker/
      Thanks

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I have been sending on to Simon (phrunt) some old video footage I took to show him the sensitivity & depth of the 4500 on pretty small gold. using the Minelab 11" Commander Mono coil. That coil found me a lot of gold, small gold. All these clips were taken on the same detecting mission & were pretty much one after the other. The day was windy, as you will see, & it was before my days of using a scoop to retrieve targets. Consequently I got the dropsy's & made a meal of the recovery in the first vid. Hence it dragging on far longer than it should have. Sorry about that. The reason why I never made it public back in the day. I could have edited it but didn't. Just the raw footage. Hope you enjoy. Cheers.
      Video # 1

Video # 2

Video # 3
       There are more that I will add later. Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By phrunt
      I have stumbled across an opportunity to buy an old GPX4500, it's one that was made in Australia.
      There seems to be conflicting opinions of if the new or old one is better, I have read the new one has a gpx 5000 guts in it with things disabled so it runs smoother and ground balances better in hot ground but then others saying they would rather chop off their arm with a toothpick than give up their old GPX4500 for a new one as the old one punches deeper on bigger gold and runs hotter.
      It seems most people think the new one is better, would I be right in thinking this? 
      I've decided I'll get one either way, be it new or this older one.
      Thanks

• By Sourdoughmoe
      Is it  normal to see bareley visable symbals at the top of the lcd screen looks like cell and battery markings??
    • By Sourdoughmoe
      I tested the 14x9 evo on a 2.5 gram nugget i was abel to barley hear it at 9 inches is that normal. Setting was general.sens extra mono fixed everthing else was fp except target volume was at 13