Brandon Neice ( Dr. Tones ) Detectival / Equinox Report

The machine it's self has some great feature but I draw the line about bs regarding making all others obsolete, there is a lot of hysteria on many forums with wild stupid claims and people making up their own version of things, I think folks should stop the speculation and when it arrives then decide whats good and bad, I have not seen such nonsense over a detector whipped up by wild claims, No one has even got hold of one yet and they are trying to tell others how good it is, that is totally ridiculous.

You must get up in the morning looking for things to get angry about John. It's just advertising, and no different than you see all around you every day. I don't see you getting worked up over Nokta saying the Impact is the most powerful detector ever. If it bothers you that much just stay off the Minelab threads and let those of us who actually are interested in the detector have our fun. Thanks.

Well if it is advertising then they should be pulled in to line, because it is misleading.

It is a Minelab so that should tell folks it is going to be good, every machine they make has some merit and excel at their given tasks, they don't need to write stuff like that, their track record is almost legendary, So who could ask for more,

Hyperbole in advertising is commonplace and it is understood in this day and age that people also know that. It is why accusations of false advertising and such are totally without merit and would not get a hearing anywhere as having any validity. It can however result in blowback from people such as you John, and can therefore be counterproductive if it goes too far.

http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/examples-hyperbole-advertising-24436.html

Garrett AT Max - Maximum Detection Depth!

IMG_0598.JPG

Nokta Impact - The Most Powerful All-Round Metal Detector Ever Made!

IMG_0596.GIF

Fisher F19 - The Best Relic Machine Ever!

IMG_0597.JPG

• Like 2

Obsolete has many definitions... out dated, having been been replaced by something newer or better, less developed then formerly, etc... I don't think it's much of a stretch to be honest..  Even if the Equinox only performs as well as any other VLF in any given frequency, it makes all other general purpose coin/relic detectors on the market look out dated to me..  The Equinox feature package is no doubt an advancement compared to the same old VLFs that have been coming out for years now.  When is the last time you have this much excitement over a detector??  There is a reason for it. 

Bryan

• Like 1

I would expect a dedicated machine like the GMT (48 kHz) or Gold Monster (45 kHz) etc to excel on tiny gold versus the Equinox at 40 kHz. That is just an expectation on my part however as guided by past experience. If you make a single frequency machine, everything is optimised around that, especially the coil. The Equinox has to deal with coils that need to run well at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 khz. That kind of generalization normally results in a small lost edge but it remains to be seen how things will shake out in reality.

If a person is like me prospecting all the time dedicated machines make sense. But for a person who might go nugget detecting once a year, owning a detector for that specific use may not make sense. Besides, many people do very, very well using detectors that are not "the best". There is such a thing as "good enough" and making up what little differences there are in detectors with detecting skills, good locations, and lots of hours.

Personally I have never been able to figure all the angst over detectors. They are for most people just toys, things to play with. That means having fun presumably. The key is to just find a detector that is a good fit for any particular person, their budget, and their particular uses. Every time a new detector comes out everyone takes it as an affront to what they already own. Then everyone goes on defense. Arguments arise. Seriously, like kids fighting over their toys.

People like new detectors, they like to talk about and discuss them and speculate about them. It is what makes forums and such go round. If that is irritating then perhaps it is time to walk away from the keyboard and go detecting! :smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Obsolete has many definitions... out dated, having been been replaced by something newer or better, less developed then formerly, etc... I don't think it's much of a stretch to be honest..  Even if the Equinox only performs as well as any other VLF in any given frequency, it makes all other general purpose coin/relic detectors on the market look out dated to me..  The Equinox feature package is no doubt an advancement compared to the same old VLFs that have been coming out for years now.  When is the last time you have this much excitement over a detector??  There is a reason for it. 

Bryan

I agree Bryan. I do think the Equinox in effect makes many of my detectors obsolete and I am clearing the decks right now. There is a point where cell phones made dial phones obsolete. Sure, they still work and you can still use one. They exist. But for all intents and purposes the market has moved on to other things.

The arguments over hair splitting performance issues are totally missing the point on this one. The Equinox redefines what a detector is and what will be expected for $649 and $899.

Just to give John grief there is no way if I were shopping right now that an MXT Pro for $823 is going to get a second look from me as I look at what I could get in the Equinox 800 for $76 more. Those days are dead, over, and gone and it is simply a matter of time before the MXT is discontinued altogether. It is a 20th century detector facing 21st century reality.

• Like 3

Lol, yeah your right there,  I had looked at another machine it seems to have short comings, I hope the EQ is good because apart fro the GM and the 4500 and the Zed nothing else inspires me, It's funny that I moved away from ML and now they are the only company to offer anything I like,

Maybe the Equinox is just what the hobby needs, heaven knows it needs a good shake up, If the CTX has the sharp 2 tone response like I am use to I would even consider one of them.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah, it would be nice to get PI or GPZ depth PLUS discrimination. Too many years, too many false starts - I will believe it when I see it. If such a beast ever does arrive you can bet it won’t be for $899!

You beat me to the same comment Steve.  I can go as deep as I can dig (fantastical claim/hyperbole intended ;)) with my PI, and in some instances with my FBS.. but not with the discrimination or accurate id of a shallow target... So, I also look past the "deeper" claims. 

I want a machine I can trust and have a good conversation with.  I am currently swinging an Explorer SE Pro instead of my Etrac and Ctx for that reason, and an ATX for PI depth in mineralization.  The Equinox has a potential to replace the Explorer in the starting rotation, but I won't know that until I get my hands on one. 

In the meantime... a lot of speculation and forum posts to tide me over :)

• Like 1