55 minutes ago, Derek said:

Shop guys won't give me a straight answer as they are more interested in getting my money.

Do you have other shops?  If so I'd move on.  If not I'd buy on the internet.

I'd say the chances of Tesoro returning are so low that you'd be way better off buying a lottery ticket.  I say that because of their recent (6+ months) of silence.  They did make good detectors but their ship (unfortunately) has sailed.  Still lots of players to choose from.  This forum is a great source of info on all detectors still being sold. 

https://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detector-database/

If you have trouble sorting all that out, which is understandable, there are a lot of people here willing to help out.  The market is loaded with good detectors so it's not an easy choice, but also hard to go wrong.  Still, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".  Fortunately there is a lot of knowledge here.

Derek, I have a tesoro detector and always liked it, but I would not recommend one. They basically haven't changed at all in 10+ years but they also didn't lower their prices.  They are basically old technology for new prices. If you found a used one in good shape at used prices, or a shop clearanced them out at 70% off then maybe, but even then repairs are a big mystery right now.

I think your better off with an equinox or other new cutting edge detector.

2 hours ago, Derek said:

Hi guys.  I'm a retired Scot over in Australia and about to buy my first detector.  Very few detector shops here and only 1 who stocks Tesoro within a 100kms radius.  Can anyone tell me for definite if Tesoro has gone bust before I part with my pension?  Shop guys won't give me a straight answer as they are more interested in getting my money.  Thanks in advance.

Where in Australia are you Derek? There are plenty of good detector shops there and I would imagine all of them would post your detector to you.

Even at Anaconda the big outdoor camping chain store there they sell detectors, the Equinox 600 is on a decent special at the moment and they most certainly post.

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/lighting-electronics/metal-detectors

they do $9.99 shipping too.

Your detector prices are 15% less than we can get them in the US. It seems like you guys get screwed on almost everything else,  so that's nice.

Depends where or what you are going to use it for.  If you are looking for a Compadre or Mojave for park/playground gold jewelry hunting then by all means get one!  Beyond that I’d say it’s up to personal preference.  Any Tesoro, even a 20+ year old model is still capable of finding treasures despite what anyone tells you about the necessity of multi-tones and visualID numbers.   Just depends on what you prefer.  They appear to be going under as a business but no one really knows for sure.  Odds are that a new machine from a dealer will give you years of trouble free use but there is always a chance of needing repairs.  

P.S.     if the dealer you speak of has any new Compadres in stock please message me their contact information so I can buy another spare for the closet!!!

• Like 1

Doors are closed and Vince is doing work on warranties. Employees have left. So no lifetime warranty. With that said I just bought two off eBay. A Compadre that was new in box and a Mojave used but in great condition.

They are gone...

Yes it was too bad, once Jack Gifford was out of the picture the business slowly crumbled. The last time i stopped there was after i found a rare one of a kind Celtic 1/4 Stater with a Tejon. The son was there and they could have cared less.. My Tesoros went away after that, too many other great units that were constantly improving...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 7/24/2019 at 8:27 AM, Noah (FL) said:

Depends where or what you are going to use it for.  If you are looking for a Compadre or Mojave for park/playground gold jewelry hunting then by all means get one!  Beyond that I’d say it’s up to personal preference.  Any Tesoro, even a 20+ year old model is still capable of finding treasures despite what anyone tells you about the necessity of multi-tones and visualID numbers.   Just depends on what you prefer.  They appear to be going under as a business but no one really knows for sure.  Odds are that a new machine from a dealer will give you years of trouble free use but there is always a chance of needing repairs.  

P.S.     if the dealer you speak of has any new Compadres in stock please message me their contact information so I can buy another spare for the closet!!!

As of today , Treasure World in the UK are listing a lot of Tesoro and Laser machines + coils !!, if you are not sorted you may get lucky  

• Like 1