geof_junk

Sd Series Detectors Launched (1995)

The Herald/Sun Sep 1995  

Sep1996 HeraldSun top half_Page_1.jpg

Sep1996 HeraldSun top half_Page_2.jpg

If you can't read the scan Right Click the second image and Open in new window

Reg this is the Scan that you wan't to see. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Got the link working.

• Thanks 1

1995...…. crikey feels like yesterday, many thanks for that article GJ. I remember that wall of photos out at Dunolly MD Shop in 98, but tis only a memory did not take a photo.

• Like 1

The first signal I dug with my brand new SD was a 9oz slug. Ian Jaques and I got 65 ozs from that patch. The best time however was the 2 years before the SD was officially released. 'The Unfair Advantage'.

• Like 5

Ran out of likes Reg I will give you one tomorrow. I have been catching up on two weeks of post.

• Like 1

The good old days. I was a Minelab Dealer and Wilma Beaumont was the distributor near Las Vegas. My dealer cost was $2836.00 for an SD2000 in that first shipment to the US.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:35 AM, Reg Wilson said:

The first signal I dug with my brand new SD was a 9oz slug. Ian Jaques and I got 65 ozs from that patch. The best time however was the 2 years before the SD was officially released. 'The Unfair Advantage'.

Superman step aside.  Reg is my hero! 

I often wish I could go back in time and know what it was like in the beginning of detecting.  All that time chasing girls when there was more large gold to be found.  What was I thinking ??....  (don't answer that) :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      The Minelab SD2200D was the first Minelab PI model I really used a lot. I tripped over this old photo from 2000 of me and my SD2200D taken by Jeff Reed. I am pointing at the location where I found a nice 8 pennyweight (20 pennyweight per ounce) nugget. This was high in the Wrangell Mountains of Alaska.

Steve's points to where nugget was found

• By devilsrenegade
      I recently picked up a used SD 2100 on craigslist for next to nothing. When I power it on, the audio clips then settles down to a stable threshold . It also clips on a strong signal response. Is this normal ? Thank's to all who reply
    • By Hispania
      I just bought on eBay this coil minelab "super goldsearch 18". I bought it as a project for the tdi.
      I showed it to a friend with many years in the hobby, he told me that he had seen it many years ago and that he remembers it for the "beautiful design". It looks like the lid of a garbage can.
      According to when it was manufactured, it was a very expensive coil, designeg for the SD,  but it has no more information.
      Does anyone know anything about this coil?

• By doc holiday
      Anyone know where I might get this part? Thanks. The hand hold broke off.
    • By Rick Kempf
      If anybody wanted to waste their time by crawling around the various forums under my handle lytle78 – they would probably see that I have expressed a certain skepticism about Minelab and the pricing policies.

On the other hand I am no dumber than your average rock and I knowledge that their current top-of-the-line model GPX 5000 is probably the world's greatest gold detector.

Not being an accomplished gold detectorist or prospector I'm not in a position to shell out five grand or thereabouts on the metal detector.

Last week and opportunity presented itself to buy a minelab SD2100 at an attractive price with an assortment of nice coils. It arrived today it works fine and I look forward to playing with it in my ground here in gold canyon Arizona – where there is no gold – and comparing it to my White's TDI.

So far only one thing has struck me. Although it's noisy as hell here in what are now becoming suburbs with underground electric service and lots of cell towers – I could by moving the tuning control around find a reasonably calm threshold.

When I tested the various coils on my 1.5 grain 18 karat gold bead – in air test – I got a very disappointing response. Needless to say having spent a nice piece of change on this thing I was disappointed! I then laid the test bead down the ground in the clear spot and found that the response was much better with the bead on the ground than waving the bead across the coil with the coil in the air. Clearly this requires further investigation and may be pretty good evidence for the old saw that PI detectors don't air test all that well but they do a lot better than the ground.

Standby for more data – and feel free to ignore it all if you see that is something I posted. Cheers to everyone - really like the new forum - look forward to learning a lot.
    • By goldenoldie
      My first PI was the SD2000 which I had modified.

My second PI was the GP3000.

And now my current PI is the GPX5000

Below are my results for my total nugget haul so far :

The SD2000M found 7.3% of the total with an average weight of 3.25 grams.

The GP3000 found 28% of the total with an average weight of 2.13 grams.

The GPX5000 found 64.6% of the total with an average weight of 1.18 grams