Sign in to follow this  
1515Art

First Hunt In The South, Meteorites? + 2 More

Been going back and forth to the new place in Las Vegas setting up all the little things that need to be done to move in and flying back and forth on frontier’s Special rates sometimes for as little as $15 one way the only catch is you can only take a little personal bag with you on the airplane. Got tired of renting a car and not having any prospecting gear so I loaded up the Jeep and drove it down for a longer stay and a planned first hunt. Friday had everything ready and my Jeep fully loaded for an early start in the morning, that evening I headed out the front door no shoes or shirt to check the mail box and in the dark missed the edge of the front step rolled my foot and did a summersault down the front steps praying I was going to be able to walk when this was over as I watched the world spin around me out of control. When I came to a stop laying there foot throbbing I summoned up the courage to raise up and put weight on the injured limb, painful but I could hobble,

21BB9636-920C-418A-81FA-EEBCC74AD89C.thumb.jpeg.a6af44d8002ab14a8f876ec086f2fee0.jpeg

I downed a few Alive and met friends for dinner at an all you can eat seafood buffet my foot still hurting but slowly improving. Next morning after warming up and more Pills I’m limping but feeling like things are worth a try and head out the door for the little over 2 hour drive to gold basin, Arizona from my house. By the time I got there after a few stops and marking my claim borders on the gps my hunt started around 7:30AM navigating the wash with my hurt foot a challenge and my detector kept signaling on my metal free Keene boots?  Turns out the pair I’d grabbed and threw in the Jeep I’d used pulling up carpet puttin in a new wood floor and both shoes had a dozen or more staples stuck in the bottom, without pliers I got all but one tiny piece out of the bottom of my shoes the little staple end stuck in the bottom of the shoe on my hurt foot interfering every time I forgot it was there. Learning a new place I learned where not to hunt but I felt good about my detector small targets were  slamming and I’m sure I’d have heard the gold if I’d been over any

185F864B-759D-4D06-8A48-F5BC92C602C8.thumb.jpeg.914a926f394e236f5aae0381b56ccea8.jpeg

by around 2 in the afternoon my left knee was hurting as much as my right foot from taking up the slack walking uneven terrain and standing up from digging that I decided to call it a day and I’d accomplished my goal of some exercise and finding the place to hunt. As I was directing the 7000 around the area I kept 3 rocks that hit hard on the gpz, the two smaller very magnetic the larger magnetic but less than the little ones. The smallest roughly 130g on a little analog food scale the larger around 230g and the large stone (?) somewhere between 5 and 10#’s I’d guess for both pieces found several feet apart from each other.

DE683A99-9E3F-4AE4-83F9-F616EEB6E022.thumb.jpeg.58d8eb0786afef1a3727b70af739a881.jpeg

26DA6D80-FB50-42D4-AADB-23BFFA73C6B8.thumb.jpeg.9405cf836ba2a07a64d3f034ccdab1f9.jpeg

0BAC0792-5A0C-4616-BA96-E28700B2E44D.thumb.jpeg.1bacae0c5138d1fb5e39f0c959dec1a9.jpeg

4E388CCC-CB3B-4629-89FC-35672BF44B04.thumb.jpeg.71325e4ddd644951dd86ff057746c729.jpeg

B35A11C5-12D3-437C-8C90-263CD6358993.thumb.jpeg.6b40aa74dcd2151c8d0984702bb1e478.jpeg

16F5157B-F56B-4B08-9AF1-2AFEB62C88D1.thumb.jpeg.82b8ccbefdf2f331b2ba1aa20193cf2e.jpeg

26188A61-07AB-454C-B6FD-AC49831B1F01.thumb.jpeg.05bd3b34717a776cc995f618d65db6f1.jpeg

A8ED4F41-9B57-4528-9898-FAD48BE12F31.thumb.jpeg.3b7309a3389d5b9f83312a3f29bbf2d2.jpeg

looking at other examples on the web they seem to hit the correct marks, any thoughts? Just earth rock or did I get lucky?

Edited by 1515Art
Added new find?
  • Like 2

No idea, but I hope you got lucky! I'd be tempted glue metal strips to the edge of the steps just so you can see them better.

• Like 2

They look more like your standard earth rocks.

Looks like some quartz mixed in on one of the rocks, but I do see iron on another one.

• Like 3

Not meteorites!

some of the hot rocks in Gold Basin can fool you.

if in doubt just use a whet stone to grind off a small area. If a meteorite you will see flecks of nickel / iron....

fred

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lacky said:

No idea, but I hope you got lucky! I'd be tempted glue metal strips to the edge of the steps just so you can see them better.

And turn on the light, lol 😂 the lucky part is in a couple more days be just a memory. Something around the edge of each step would make them easier to see i could also change the soldier course to a different color stone that would help. I need a tile guy anyway for some other work I’ll do it then.

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Not meteorites!

some of the hot rocks in Gold Basin can fool you.

if in doubt just use a whet stone to grind off a small area. If a meteorite you will see flecks of nickel / iron....

fred

I hoped you’d chime in on this and well I didn’t think they were but I kept trying to talk myself into it the two small ones have a lot of iron in them and attract a magnet like a piece of metal, but did streak lightly blackish brown, the large one initially left a light brown mark that could have been just from the surface then it was hard to leave a mark after a few passes on my tank lid, so I had to ask because obviously don’t know what I’m doing? Eventually I find one out there and the difference will be obvious, it’s hard to go by pictures cause there’s always one you can find to create doubt in my own mind if I look to long, lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2Valen said:

They look more like your standard earth rocks.

Looks like some quartz mixed in on one of the rocks, but I do see iron on another one.

Yep, thanks... more rocks and probably won’t be the last undeserving mineral getting a free pocket ride from me, 😆.

• Like 1

Just a reminder, if you see any quartz it is not a meteorite ...many rocks are full of magnetic attractive stuff.

Bill Southern’s Meteorite Forum has many knowledgeably people that know way more than me.

read and learn

fred

• Like 2

Fred's right, the darker rock is not a meteorite for sure, quartz and magnetite. The others, not sure but not like any I have seen or found myself.  The University of Arizona can and will verify Meteorites if you send it to them, not sure if there is a cost and it will take a while.  

• Like 1

I think anyone can read, understand and do the basic tests for common meteorites...

I don't think they will want to test them. Apparently, scientists think they know everything about the many "Ordinary Chrondrites" and it is expensive and time consuming.

the others are so rare that you will likely walk right on by a cold find and never know....if it is a new fall and the buzzards are flocking you better get there too....

but, that is my never humble opinion

fred

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DF in TX
      For the holiday weekend last week I was determined to get a little more time on my new Nox 800 despite the heat and humidity.  Most of my old permissions have changed hands now, so I headed to a bed and breakfast owned by my sister just to try to learn the new machine more.  I'd been there a few years ago without much success, but recently studied a map from 1872 and saw there had been a fairly large house across the street where they have one of their cottages now.
      The door to the 1872 house appeared to be approximately where there is now a rock and gravel driveway.  Knowing I wouldn't last long in the heat even though it was the morning, I left the driveway for another day and moved to the grass under some trees near the ditch, hoping for some old coins.
      Within a few seconds I got a solid (but elongated in one direction in pinpoint mode) repeatable tone in the lower to mid 20s.  In the bottom of the plug there was a partial old red brick, and the edges of two more bricks in the side of the hole.  I took this as good potential in terms of time period.  Anyway, I removed the brick from the bottom of the plug and found a square nail with the pinpointer.  Knowing that wasn't what I heard, I probed deeper in the plug and pulled out an intact skeleton key!  Didn't detect anymore because my brother-in-law came out and we visited for quite a while, and it was getting hotter by the minute.
      The next morning I went back for some more.  About 4' from where I found the skeleton key I got a solid 24 signal that seemed to be shaped more like a coin.  This one had broken glass in the hole and plug.  I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I pulled out what looked like jewelry with lots of rhinestones instead of a coin!
      A little while later my sister came by and I showed her the piece of jewelry.   She took it inside and cleaned it, and brought it out on the porch while we tried to figure out what it was.  We finally decided it may be an old hat pin?
      Anyway, my sister said that the rhinestones were a really good quality.  I took my pocket knife out and tried to scratch one, but it was too hard.  Hmm.  For the fun of it I got a piece of the broken glass I'd dug out of the hole and cleaned a small area on it.  Would the "rhinestones" scratch the glass?  They did!  I felt kind of sick for a while!
      I know there are other things that can scratch glass besides diamonds, but just the thought that these might be real diamonds was pretty exciting.  But it looks like the metal was silver plated and not solid silver, so I'm thinking that real diamonds wouldn't have been set into cheaper material.  I plan on taking it to a jeweler to find out what the rocks really are, but that probably won't be very soon due to the current pandemic situation in my state.
      Thanks for looking, and happy hunting!  Wow, just realized this was the length of a short novel--sorry!

• By ColonelDan
      I received a text message from a friend yesterday telling me that one of our neighbors up the street lost his wedding band while playing on one of those large inflatable water slides.  He asked me if I could help.  Of course I said yes and my friend picked me up in his golf cart and we headed to the man’s house.
      Our neighbor was standing by the water slide staring pensively at the ground--his face and body language told me the whole story. 😰
      He pointed out where he was standing when he shook the water from his hands and felt his ring fly off.  He and his young son had searched the area for over an hour...even using a magnet in desperation--not very effective on a gold ring. 🥴
      Fortunately, the suspected area was only about a 10 foot square.  I cranked up the EQX in Park 1, noise canceled, lowered the sensitivity since this would be a surface find and started to grid the area.  I hadn’t gone 3 feet when I got a nice solid mid tone.  I pulled out my Pro Find 35 and told him to look exactly where it was pointing.  He parted the grass, which was about 3-4 inches high and there was his ring.  The look on his face was one of total relief and incredulity.  
      He couldn’t believe I found it that quickly (neither could I). I’d spent all of 1 minute at the most swinging the EQX before it sounded off.  
      To say he was mightily impressed would be an great understatement.    He then asked me all about my equipment and detecting since he knew zero about any of it.  His wife came running out of the house and thanked me profusely saying her husband was no longer in the dog house!  
      Quick find; quick return and all is well. 🙂
    • By TreasureHunter5
      I found this in April of May of this year. I cleaned it, my brother put it on the grinder, and showed it to my dad. It looked shiny then, but since it darked and starting to chip. My dad looked at it and said it was probably my grandfather who had lost it in the 1980s doing yard work. He used to wear old jeans and maybe fell out of his pocket. My dad told me used to clean his pipe with this knife. My grandfather had passed in September of 2018, so I never got to show or ask him. It is a Trim pocket knife by Bassett. It was made a producer of beauty products I believe and my grandfather ran his own barber shop. I believe he got it through that business. It will never be like new, but it holds sentimental value. I only wish I could have showed him.

• By UtahRich
      Last weekend concluded Monte's 12th Welcome To Hunt Outing (WTHO), a gathering of new and old detectorists looking to get together and spend some time out testing their detecting skills against some Western Ghost Towns. This gathering centered around Wells, NV. I was really looking forward to getting away after being cooped up at the house for the last couple months and working from home due to the pandemic. The outing came at the right time.
      We ended up having 18 detectorists from the Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and Texas. More were scheduled, but some had to cancel due to the impact from the Virus going around  I hope they can make it next go round.   

I arrived Saturday, May 30th, to help Monte and OregonGregg scout out places most everybody would likely want to hunt. Metropolis, Tobar, Shafter, Tecoma, Cobre and Toano are the most popular.

I hunted with my Deus, EQ800 and Nokta FORS CoRe.  All three made some good finds. 

For me, there were lots of bits and bobs found. I'm amazed at the number of little ornate buckles that turn up. And the bullets, the never ending run of bullets and empty cartridge cases.   

And it is always interesting to watch other detectorists at work and observe detectors, coil choices, search rods, gear, hats, finds pouches, swing rates and methods and all the rest of it. 

Two of my detecting goals this year are to turn up a Seated Quarter and a Half-Dime. Neither surfaced for me at the outing.. An 1876 Seated Quarter did make an appearance for DanO. A big congrats. I was fortunate to turn up some early date Wheat Cents, the most notable a 1910-S, an 1880 IHC and a very nice 1864 2¢. An unexpected but appreciated surprise. It is my second deuce. 

Tokens and coins seemed to be coming from under every piece of sage for a while there on Thursday, the 4th.  We kept hearing reports of something else turning up. OregonGregg and I were commenting that the detecting door to Toano and Cobre was open there for a short time. Lots of smiles going around. Then it seemed to close. 

Friday, I was flat out skunked; hard. After I finished in the Toano / Cobre area I even went back out to Metropolis and hunted till dusk trying to find something, even another corroded wheat cent. No go. I guess the universe needed to balance itself after Thursday.   

In summary, I have a couple old coins to add to my finds. And a very cool WTHO shirt that abenson printed up at his business. First Class,  thank you Andrew. And I met some new people, and got to catch up with old friends and acquaintances  with some good meals and time chatting around the table.  And whenever you get detectorists together there are always discussions over brands and models and coils and such. It is fun to listen to the detector banter. 

I have some very old detectors, a couple discontinued detectors and a couple new detectors. I have to admit that I am impressed that OregonGregg hunted the entire time he was there with 1 detector and 1 coil; his Nokta FORS CoRe and the small OOR coil.    Cudos to Gregg. Gregg pulled off a dime trifecta with an 1845 seated, 1916 Barber and 1917 Mercury, as well as a toasty Shield nickel, an IHC and some wheaties. Oh, and he might have found a Nevada trade token. LOL.  And I owe him a steak dinner for losing our bet for oldest coin with a date. 

His 1845 Seated Dime beat out my 1864 2¢. 

This is a good thing. Now I have a good excuse for another road trip. And another opportunity to find that Seated Quarter and elusive Half-Dime. 

And finally, a big thanks to Monte for bringing everyone together. 
      There were several Seated coins, IHC's, Shield Nickels, trade tokens, and some stellar military buttons found. Most everybody posts their results on Monte's forum (AHRPS.ORG) for those interested in having a look-see. I hope Steve doesn't mind the off site reference. I beg your pardon if I'm out of line Steve.
      These WTHO's move around some and are a great venue for bringing a friend to introduce to the hobby, have a first experience at a Western Ghost Town where you can gather some pointers and see how others do or to test your skills with your detector against some very difficult sites.
      And if you're interested, you might even be able to chat up Monte a bit. 

Hope to see all of you out there exploring the Western Frontiers. 

UtahRich -

• By Skullgolddiver
      This will be the only option to post an update, as I can't show anything but the sea bottom for today😒...
      It happen too many times to prepare yourself, to check at least three times by day the wind radar, to follow the moon progress, to timing the tide for hunt in the right area.... 
      When all the factors are aligned and you also find the expected conditions in the place you was avidly following...
      This can happen....
      Nothing...Absolutely nothing......💀
      A coin, a fishing weight  and silence...so much silence to destroy the patience....
      Now, being a so called "pro" (this only mean for me "no gold no bread") this really usual condition creates sorrow....
      To be in the only good place to hunt around and find nothing else than a miserable coin can hurt to the soul..
      In a way or another after years, all we are used to fill the calendar with more winning days than defeat days...
      Funny thing is my curse of camera on my shoulders, as everytime I have with me the way to film the session, absolutely nothing relevant appears!💩
      Black cross for today....💀
      Cheers all of You!

• By mn90403
      I got up early this morning and tried to sneak out to a local beach but I was stopped.  My 2.4 year old son came out and I just couldn't leave.  Most mornings lately we've just headed to the park to feed the squirrels.  He has gotten good at feeding them by hand either a walnut or a peanut.
      Today the tides were right and we were 'marine layered in' with a light mist so it was time to drive to Huntington Beach.  That is about a 40 minute drive in light traffic so off we went.
      This was my second trip with him to this beach since the lockdown was over.  The first time I found just a few coins but less than $1 in change.  This time we went past the little playground and on to the beach.  I let my son determine the direction.  He headed north.  It was a great day for him because it was a large, flat beach at low tide and he could run.  That he did and I was swinging behind him.  We went up into the dry sand and those were my first targets, just a couple of pieces of foil.  After 45 minutes I had nothing!
      We went out on the wet sand and did a little bit of learning of the alphabet.  I got a few letters in and we sang 'ABC' before he was off to the south.

We were going to go in that direction when he saw a little kid in the distance and off he went back toward 'ABC'.  I lagged behind and saw the other little guy was with his parents but about that moment I heard a little signal near the 'ABC' and I dug it.  It was my first wet sand signal.
      Meanwhile my son had found a play buddy.

It turned out this little guy was younger but his dad was an older guy like me out with his first and only son.  😀

They both had a good time for 20 minutes or so before the parents had to go.  This picture looks back towards the south and the Huntington Beach Pier and back to 'ABC' where I found the target.

As I got back near the location I found it I put it down on the sand and took these two pictures.

It is just a little cross/crucifix that is 3g and .417/10k.  I didn't find any other wet sand targets.
      Sometimes you have to forget all the knowledge and all the clues and just let someone else lead.  It doesn't have to get any better than this.
      Mitchel