Anyone know the best bang for the buck for weigh scales, from experience? I’ve been looking at re-loader scales.

Yeah, I really didn't put much thought into it. I just bought a scale, basically a cheap afterthought while buying something else. It's ridiculous how cheap and simple scales have become compared to just 20 years ago.

• Like 1

They cost $20 forty years ago. The trouble was all the weight you had to carry to balance the scale as well as finding a flat surface to use it on. Gold was only $100 an ounce.then. 😉

• Like 1

I bought this one a few months ago and for 8 AUD they`re not bad. On a 2.8 gram nugget they are spot on and on a 4 ounce weight they are out 0.4gram

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electronic-Pocket-Mini-Digital-Gold-Jewellery-Weighing-Scales-0-01G-to-200-Grams/183677486390?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

I used digital powder scales for inexpensive accuracy, good to 1/10th grain (1/4800th oz) and just convert for home use or buying and selling. I have an older version of these RCBS powder scales, AC or battery operated with calibrations weights, will weigh up to 750 grains (1.5625 Troy Ounces).

rcbs-rangemaster-digital-powder-scale.jpg

For general field use and anything but buying and selling I have been very happy with the US Magnum 500, will weigh up to 500 grams (16 Troy Ounces) and is accurate to 0.1 gram. It can weigh in Troy ounces, pennyweights, regular ounces, grams, grains, and carats. Compact with lid that doubles as weighing tray, comes with calibration weight, battery operated - and available at many places online like Amazon for less than $20.00

I have an older version with buttons in a square pattern, there are versions with buttons are in a round pattern as below. 

us-magnum-500-digital-scale.jpg

• Like 1

Ha! If it don't weigh in grains, penny weights and troy ounces than it aint suitable for weighin' gold. The exception would be my Fairbanks Morse dock scales that I use for the bigger stuff.

4 minutes ago, fredmason said:

for general field use my cheap digital scales are fine

Same here. I bought an inexpensive scale from Doc (U.S. Balance) nearly 20 years ago and I can't imagine a circumstance outside of lab work where it would be inadequate.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Glenn in CO
      Here are the results on the four gold specimens from the post "Cleaning Gold Specimens - Step By Step Methods".
      Specimen A:

\

Specimen B:

Close up photos of Specimen B front and back:

Specimens C:

Specimen: D

• By Glenn in CO
      PART ONE:
      Pictured below are four gold specimens that I have found and I will discuss what methods I use to remove the host rock revealing mother nature's treasure. I gave each specimen a "letter" designation so you can follow the progress from start to finish on each specimen. Part Two I will discuss the chemicals and equipment I use to clean gold or mineral specimens.

• By Dances With Doves
      By using $1800 for gold and $28 for silver as a base a common dime would have a value of 2.02 and a .6 grain (not gram) nugget would have a value of 2.02 if it was at 90% purity.If you want to know the silver amount of a common dime  multiply .07234 times the   spot price of silver.A  .6 grain nugget is tiny.  I  would rather find a nugget then a  silver dime any day unless it is a very rare silver coin.I  imagine you nugget hunters  stumble on to a nice coin  now  and then.I heard Tom Massie found a $20 gold piece when he was nugget hunting.I hope I did my math right.Even with  copper surging to  $4.06 today a  common dime only   has .27 cents  of copper in it.
    • By Keith
      What is, if we should, get the dark crust from an old liberty dime to determine date and other details. No scrubbing with steel wool? Acids? Thank you in advance here at this forum for any help you can give.

• By 1515Art
      So I was killing time eye shopping gold nuggets, I like looking but never buy any until now when I saw what I thought was a really beautiful 29.32g gold nugget pendant. This one was full of character and had a variety of color and texture, the simple silver wire mount cleverly wrapped to hold it securely without solder or permanent attachment the perfect gift for my wife’s birthday. Well, it came in the mail today and for reasons beyond comprehension he decided to clean it. The silver mount I guess melted in the acid, it looks I think much less interesting and the weight is down to 26.2g from it’s natural state at 29.32  a little of that lost fine gold. I’m sure I could return it the seller is very reputable but still like it just not nearly as much, what do you think am I wrong thinking it was much prettier before it was cleaned...should the seller have even done this after posting the pictures in his add?
      before cleaning 

after cleaning

• By DB1000
      I have 3 batches like this. I just listed one on CL for 175.00. Almost all iron items with some brass, ceramic etc. Priced too low? Too high? Going to be getting rid of all my old finds soon. Any ideas, opinions are good to hear. Thanks.