Show Me Your Pick

Here is quick and easy pick holder 3 inch abs, couple of slots for belt, light, durable and

easy to insert or remove pick.

post-411-0-99772900-1443198975_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-28405400-1443198853_thumb.jpg

Ivan

• Like 1

Me too, I often have to back track and retrieve my pick. Have even left a few out in the field over the years, a bright orange band of heat shrink around the handle above where your hands grip it might be the go. Never had the problem finding my Eastwing back in the VLF days as it had a tough green plastic grip over the steel handle.

This is still a work in progress.  

After thinking about this last night, destined For the scrap pile.

Handle 34 inches, scoop box is 6x6 inches, 12 gauge,  point 3x9 inches 1/4 inch, weight 5.2 pounds

What a monster, not sure if I will make any more. I will only make this if 

I can weld it together. I think that changeable blade stuff is bs.

This balances out, scoop to point really good.

post-411-0-48802800-1443063396_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-10227100-1443041721_thumb.jpg

Ivan

Looks pretty sweet to me. If the changeable blade thing is BS then that general geometry in one piece permanent blade is something I'd be interested in personally.

Edit: with a magnet holder on the scoop.  :D

Looks pretty sweet to me. If the changeable blade thing is BS then that general geometry in one piece permanent blade is something I'd be interested in personally.

It still would be two piece because the point and bucket are two different materials.

The bucket is 12 gauge, still twice as thick as a standard shovel and the point is 1/4

inch steel, I just don't see any one wearing this thing out very soon.

The neck is welded to a 1/2 inch thick bar 3x2 inches.

Ivan

I think that geometry is pretty close to ideal, but it's pretty close to the Supersede geometry, might need some IP tweaking? Dunno, def not my department there.

One thing I wonder about, with 12GA steel, do you think there would be a chance the flat blade part of the scoop might get bent? Would it be better slightly shorter so less leverage if so? No idea from pictures without trying it out, just one thing I wondered about...?

Edit again: also I seem to be about the only one really into this type of design other than Flak who first posted the Supersede looking for comments on it, unless others are just not commenting. So maybe it's just me, I don't want to lead you into production costs for a pick no one wants. For me personally I find this style to be ideal...everyone varies though.

I think that geometry is pretty close to ideal, but it's pretty close to the Supersede geometry, might need some IP tweaking? Dunno, def not my department there.

One thing I wonder about, with 12GA steel, do you think there would be a chance the flat blade part of the scoop might get bent? Would it be better slightly shorter so less leverage if so? No idea from pictures without trying it out, just one thing I wondered about...?

Edit again: also I seem to be about the only one really into this design other than Flak unless others are just not commenting. So maybe it's just me, I don't want to lead you into production costs for a pick no one wants. For me personally I find this style to be ideal...everyone varies though.

No No you would not bend that 12 gauge it took 5 ton press to bend those lips.

Ivan