Surprise Gold... I Think

Compass

My gold detecting streak is now history but as I was looking over some old silver finds this morning I came across this dental work. As I looked at it I thought it strange that this kind of dental work wasn't gold but then I thought, "wait a minute, I assumed it was silver but could it be white gold?" When I have found gold dental crowns in the past they have been made of yellow gold and I never considered that white gold might be used.

IMG_20200831_173735__01.jpg.76773d4dcaa5fa79ef0601214c67b6c8.jpg

Well, the 14K acid held but the 18K acid did not and I think that a lot of dental gold is 16K so it looks like I have 2.7 grams of the good stuff. It looks bad in the picture but I believe that it may have been scorched in a cremation furnace. Some people don't believe that gold crowns can survive cremation but I have found several that have been partially melted and can think of no other possibility.

I know that Skullgolddiver just made a couple of recent posts about finding gold among his old finds and it has happened to me numerous times as well. I'll bet that anyone who has detected for a while probably has a surprise or two among their past finds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compass said:

My gold detecting streak is now history but as I was looking over some old silver finds this morning I came across this dental work. As I looked at it I thought it strange that this kind of dental work wasn't gold but then I thought, "wait a minute, I assumed it was silver but could it be white gold?" When I have found gold dental crowns in the past they have been made of yellow gold and I never considered that white gold might be used.

IMG_20200831_173735__01.jpg.76773d4dcaa5fa79ef0601214c67b6c8.jpg

Well, the 14K acid held but the 18K acid did not and I think that a lot of dental gold is 16K so it looks like I have 2.7 grams of the good stuff. It looks bad in the picture but I believe that it may have been scorched in a cremation furnace. Some people don't believe that gold crowns can survive cremation but I have found several that have been partially melted and can think of no other possibility.

I know that Skullgolddiver just made a couple of recent posts about finding gold among his old finds and it has happened to me numerous times as well. I'll bet that anyone who has detected for a while probably has a surprise or two among their past finds. 

Yes , white gold. Nice. Most all of mine are 18k white. Rarely are they yellow for some reason. And never 14k , some are higher like the 16k. All the odd looking blobs go into my pouch and I look at them later. Particularly if they are small and heavy. Have been surprised a few times. I think some guys find them and throw them back in the hole not knowing what they are. Assuming melted aluminum. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Compass said:

I know that Skullgolddiver just made a couple of recent posts about finding gold among his old finds

And I'm looking for an ultrasonic cleaner to get the hard job done for all the old and the next less relevant pieces...Between my and my daughter I think there were almost 150bucks left without to check inside the trash...🤔Impressive🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geof_junk said:

These dentures were most likely made from melted sovereigns prior to 1930. They were found at a beach where I got a lot of old gold rings in the early 1980s.

teeth1.JPG.a11b68c019c43774445b910d4d534f55.JPG  

Those are some beauties there. The 2 look undamaged so maybe they just got knocked out of person's mouth? The one on the bottom right looks melted- from a cremation I wonder?

11 minutes ago, Compass said:

Those are some beauties there. The 2 look undamaged so maybe they just got knocked out of person's mouth? The one on the bottom right looks melted- from a cremation I wonder?

No that one is a 2 ounce nugget from Vic Aus. September 1980

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I have a crown (still in my mouth, thankfully) that is a silver-palladium alloy.  I think it was installed 30 or more years ago.  I don't know how long those have been made, but don't toss any tooth finds if they don't meet the gold test.

• Like 2