The 1000 Silver Coin Club

In 2005  I would dip below the 100   silver mark with 80 coins.I would get 18 barber coins.  I would try water hunting in june in Lake ontario  for  a week with no luck. I would hunt a park in a other town with a buddy on a hot  august day and he would get 2 gold in the turf.He motivated me and and next  day on a calm and clear lake ontario  I would get a big gold ring within 15 minutes and  I was hooked plus I  had a bigger   scoop.I would get a 100 gram 10k rapper medal plus a 3/4 ounce 24 k chain with medallion after this.I would mostly hunt in the water after this      .The gold made  up for the loss in silver.The infinium even got 2 silver coins in a  finger Lake plus a few on the dry sand using the Steve H method by digging the low-hi hits.In 2005 I would get 38 indians.  

In 2006   I  would spend a lot of time water hunting and got 79 silver coins but only 6 barber coins.The infinium got about 10 silver coins with a few in the water.This is the year we found the cache and the main clusters of them.  They were on land and in the nearby      shallow pond along the shore.  My total for the cache was 542 that were all dimes  except for 2  quarters and 1  war nickel.  I did real good on the gold in the water too. Total silver with the cache=621.Makes up for the low Barber count. in 2006  I would find 63 indians.

• Like 1

In 2007  I  would still water hunt a lot but this year we traveled out of town a lot to  Buffalo and a eastern Finger lake town. I  would end up with 107 silver coins this year with the infinium getting about 10 again in the water and out of it.I found 27 Barbers this year because  of the out of town  trips.I would get 175   Indians with a few 10 plus days on them out of town.At this point I am over the 1000 coin mark the way Tom described.

19 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

My total for the cache was 542 that were all dimes  except for 2  quarters and 1  war nickel.

An interesting clue there  Why almost all dimes?

In 2008  I would buy a Tesoro  tiger shark and a x-terra  70. I paid 798  for the x-terra in  November and got a carrying case and a  5by 10 18kz. coil plus  a 9'' 3kz coil for that price which =$400 in  extra coils . I would still water hunt a lot and do good there.I would find 113 silver coins that year with a record for me of  14 in 1 day  after a buddy from a different town brought us to a certain park   .He though him and his buddy had   pretty much had cleaned it out.I would find 12 barber coins that year. The Xterra would get 3 silver at the end of the  year.The explorer found most of them.The explorer was much better in most situations on silver compared to the  xterra and the 9'' 7 kz. stock coil.This  xterra was a good machine if you learned how to use  it and where to use it with it's different combos.I would get 81 Indians in 2008.

In 2009 i would still water hunt a lot plus went for turf gold more.I also tried to find silver with the xterra with the coils  that  I had which helped in bringing my silver total for that year down to 50 by not being as good and me  going for the  challenge in trying to get silver with it.I would get 12 Barber coins this year.My  explorer stock coil would break early in this  year and I would use the 7'' coil for most of my  Explorer hunts.I did find in a private farm field that use to have a old 1 room school house a silver  Constable badge that had the town written in script.What a find. It is probably from the 1870 and is a town where my buddy would have ancestors (Dutch).It is no longer a town by that name. in 2009 i would get 50 indians including 15 in 1 day. 

In 2010 i would still water hunt a lot plus go for turf gold more.I did not use my explorer as much since i hit the  screen with my shovel. Clad hopper fixed it so i could  see half the screen. I kept   in in  iron mask and could not adjust it that easy. I did not use it as much but when i did it scored. I would get 62 silver.I found most of these with the explorer. The tigershark got about 8 in the water.The   x-terra only got a few.I would get  2 liberty cap large cents and a fugio cent in the field I got the   badge.I only found 4 Barbers this year but got a nice 1857 Standing liberty quarter.Since  I started water hunting  most of my time is spent on the beach in the   summer compared to before.Only on cold windy  summer   days did we hunt the    turf.In 2010   I would  only get 19 indians.

I only found 25 silver in 2011 and used the the explorer  only 6  times in the first  part of the  year.The silver was found  between it and the xterra the infinium and tiger shark and they all found  about the same amount of silver.I found 5 Barber coins.I did find a 1.5 ounce   ounce 18k    chain with part that was in the shape of boxing championship belt.Some kind of  martial   arts piece in the water with the tiger   shark that easily paid for that machine in today's prices. How many silver dimes could  I buy if i sold it?In 2011  I  found   14 indians.

Do your silver coins come out of the lakes looking nice (like those typcially found in Eastern USA soil) or are they corroded similar to specimens that have been in the ocean?  I've only done limited freshwater lake detecting and the 95% copper pennies and nickel-copper alloy ('nickel') coins are pretty bad, although those typically are corroded after having been in the turf for multiple decades, too.

(Responses from other freshwater detectorists are welcome, too.)