1 hour ago, kac said:

Pure nickel will stick to a magnet also.

Equinox-Beach 1, all metal says -6 to -7.

So would that be close to a nickel?

11 hours ago, kac said:

Pure nickel will stick to a magnet also.

10 hours ago, cuniagau said:

Equinox-Beach 1, all metal says -6 to -7.

Aren't some modern Canadian coins made of pure nickel?  What dTID do those indicate (anyone)?

• Like 1

Some Canadian coins are also steel so it could be one of those.

10 minutes ago, kac said:

Some Canadian coins are also steel so it could be one of those.

I wasn't thinking that since cuniagau's photos show features consistent with an early USA dollar.  I just was wondering what dTID a pure nickel coin would indicate.  -7 to -8 sounds low for that, but since I've never found one I don't know -- making me curious.  (Frankly if you had asked "what dTID do you think this object would read if it is iron or iron alloy?" I would have guessed much higher than -7 or -8.  Shows what I know....)

There aren't many ferromagnetic elements or even alloys, but this certainly gives strong evidence it is made of one!  It's just weird (to me) that someone would make a replica or counterfeit out of iron or iron alloy.  Copper and its alloys are such a reasonable alternative (but it's obviously not that).  By the same argument, pure nickel or some other ferromagnetic metal doesn't make much sense to me, either.  Still a mystery as to its origin and purpose, AFAIC.  We detectorists sure are good at finding these mysterious objects.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Low grade stainless steel alloys should have low tid's. Might be other countries that use steel. Copper/nickel alloys will ring in higher but think maybe pure nickel would be too tough to strike?

8 hours ago, kac said:

So would that be close to a nickel?

Solid 13.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      So I'm still trying to milk the same cow 😄 I figured until it stops spitting silver on me, I will continue to ask for it. Long day at the beach 8:30-5:00, but the weather was decent, as I dress well for the cold. I'm getting to be a delicate flower in my advancing years 🤔 I'm using the GPX all day for this hunt and digging select areas and removing all iron so I can hear the deep targets.I hit a patch that started producing exclusively wheat pennies, so I knew that the chance for silver was very possible.  It did produce some silver but the ratio was mostly pennies. Moving over just a bit, the wheats turned into memorials and the clad followed as well. Not a bad day with 8 silvers, but I worked harder than usual for it.The beach is slowly sanding in and the easy stuff is gone. No gold again, but switching the timings on the GPX did start getting me a lot of nickels, including a handful of Buffalo. Jewelry was missing as usual, but the spoons sure weren't lacking 🙄 So here is everything I dug. Lots of junk too. It was great to get out and enjoy the hobby.

• By Rivers rat
      Hello to all ,went to a secluded beach today,just to make sure i knew how to detect again it wasnt warm but sunny,and my fishing jacket kept me nice and toasty.As i got the luxury to have 3 times more digging tools than arms,i choose a spade for a change over a scoop.A cheap spade i bought on a road trip a while back when my old one broke and i just fitted a new shaft which i oiled with linseed oil 3 times.Anyway a lot of walking and gridding,the nox is my to go machine when i am back after a while especially with those long lockdown period.

Lots of coast fight remains as you can tell fro the pictures a nice brass cross alas.......and a 1919 coin were the oldest find.

Funny enough the cross bare the name of Saint Anthony of Padua ,which is the saint to pray to when something is lost......................well i found it.

Will try to go out tomorrow,to see if i can find more bullets

Enjoy

RR

• By kac
      Only found a sinker and some clad but was able to snag this nice shot as the tide was going out. Rare to see this area without wind and figured I would share.

• By Glenn in CO
      100% AUTHENTIC Santa Monica METAL DETECTING find CUBE #2 Oct 20 Pandemic Signed

• By schoolofhardNox
      Had a chance to get 2 beach hunts in with the GPX and AQ and was pleasantly surprised that the conditions at this beach had changed for the better. It was going to be a 50/50 split between both machines, so that I could get the benefits of both machines technologies. Started out great with the AQ,  but unfortunately the headphones started making a loud clicking noise. I figured out the thin wire had finally given out. Then it completely stopped working. The conditions were perfect for trying out the AQ in Tone mode, since there was almost no trash, or small iron left in this spot. So high tones and grunts meant nickels/gold/ huge iron or silver/clad. The AQ scored a lot of nickels, paper thin worn coins and 8 silver dimes before it died. So the hunt continued with the GPX. That patch was on fire giving me the most silver in a single hunt ever, along with the greatest 2 day total as well. The area covered was about 20 x 30 feet, as I had 3 other detectorists around me on either side. This area was sand with packed cobbles beneath it, so I paid the price after digging in that for 2 days. The ring is 14K and was the only gold found, surprisingly. Now, I love my AQ, but honestly not being a durable machine kind of makes it take a back seat to my other machines. I have been gentle with this machine, but I did a lot of holes. Those two days I estimate digging almost 250 holes and I beach hunt generally once a week. I would love to get a new set of headphones (not stock), but if I remember the connector is hard to get??? If anyone has info on that, please let me know where I can get one. I would have Tony make me a set in a heartbeat. It's not often that the beach gives you those kind of conditions, so I was happy to be there at the right time. I can't wait to get back and see if the conditions are still good.