9" Round HF Sensitivity To Thin Flat Iron Question

kac

I did, I tossed a dime under it and the dime masked out :(

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I have a whole bucket of various ferrous junk including the thin tin pieces and lids - have yet to find this elusive target that blanks out the ORX no matter what I do.  I can make the ORX blank if I basically put the coil right on top of the thin round tin/ferrous target with minimal air gap  and wiggle the center line across the target but it still peeps off the coil edge.  What I found, though, is if I lift the coil off the target it sings like a bird and gives me an ID between 70 and 99.  What happens when you lift the coil on your magic blanking target?  What happens if you bury your magic blanking target, kac?

• Haha 1

"Strange MagicELO🛸 1975

Album "Face The Music"  Platinum!🤣👍👍

• Haha 1

Okay, I am sensing some frustration from some of you new ORX owners, from Chase and I can echo that feeling too.

First, thin flat iron (whether rusted or not) and basically rusted through former tin plated steel are two utterly different things. Kac, if you want to hear an iron tone on heavily rusted, no longer tin plated late 1800s to mid 1900s steel cans on the ORX or the Deus, you will need to run up your iron discrimination in Coin Fast or Coin Deep to the mid tone/high tone break point which I think is around 75 to 80, if that is even possible to do on the ORX.....I honestly can't remember.  A similar thing happens on the Equinox by the way, rusted out former tin plated steel cans and rusted steel crown bottle caps can read all over the place, especially towards the wrap around point near the top of the ID scale......30,31 and even 38,39,40 for the Nox and 80s to especially 98,99 and - - and 0 for the Deus and ORX. There is nothing unusual about this. These two detectors are very honest and accurate. Thin, heavily rusted "tin cans" are no longer mostly iron and they should not respond on any detector just in the iron range of target IDs in my opinion.

The characteristics Chase and I are trying to describe for rusted tin plated steel and for rusted steel crown caps need to be carefully investigated and learned as they are tell tales for those targets. Yes, there will seem to be some nulling as part of their response, there may be no id just - -, there may be really jumpy high conductor IDs, they may not give a classic iron tone except on the outer edge of the coil, they may make the mineralization bar fill up (which is one of my favorite ways of telling a US quarter from a rusted steel crown bottle cap)......you may find some more characteristics. 

The ORX is the ORX. It is not going to detect like your Tejon, your AT Pro or your Multi Kruzer. What you are describing to me (even though you make it sound like a major fault) is just normal ORX behavior in my somewhat ORX experienced (1000 hours +) opinion.

• Like 5

Just tested in a clean spot in my yard with ground reading 79 on the Kruzer and 80 on the Orx.

On the surface with coil 6" above the target the Orx only sounds off in gold modes which is expected but no ID at all only ground phase shift on the meter. All coin modes do not sens the target at all.

With the Kruzer it shows and has an audible iron signal of 2.

Burried the target about 5" down in the same spot and Orx responded exactly the same way and the Kruzer responded the same way.

Only think I can think of is how XP determines what is ground mineralization vs an object and other manufacturers have a lower bar in that respect.

Chase if you want me to mail it to ya just hollar and you can test for yourself.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kac said:

Chase if you want me to mail it to ya just hollar and you can test for yourself.

I want to do some more testing with my pile of junk comparing Deus to ORX gold mode audio response for ferrous targets  (for other reasons) but might just have you send that piece to me to confirm my ORX (and Deus) responds similarly.  If you can actually find a second target the responds similarly, then I might actually be concerned about masking, otherwise I think it’s a low probability event (like finding an actual cache of stacked silver) that I find to be very interesting from a detector nerd perspective but am not losing sleep over it from a real world detecting perspective.  I am sure I miss way more targets due to poor swing coverage or because I don’t usually recover all ferrous than I do because of “silent”masking.

• Like 3

I agree. It could be a fluke piece but will be hitting the same area again. I took my Tejon up to the area earlier today and found a couple things I missed with the Orx but not blaming masking just the Tejon is much easier to beep and dig high trash areas than listen to every little blip and blurp. I'll see if I can find another can like that and in other areas. Hopefully it is a fluke because if it isn't then that machine is no good for relic hunting as there are often old cans in areas I hunt.

I can either scout out in gold mode then swap to one the coin modes or simply take my kruzer and do a run through with that to spot the iron first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kac said:

Hopefully it is a fluke because if it isn't then that machine is no good for relic hunting as there are often old cans in areas I hunt.

Believe me, it is great for relic hunting in hot dirt and junk iron.  See some examples of my ORX finds below.  I prefer the pitch audio and full tones audio of the Deus, though, so the ORX serves more as a backup.  Even though I prefer the ground grab implementation and the way target/ground condition/settings are displayed on the ORX.  I don’t think there is a bug in the way ORX “sees” ground phase and mineralization but I will note that for auto ground balance tracking on Deus, the Deus has an advanced setting for ground sensitivity which sets the responsiveness for GB tracking to preclude overcompensation due to the detector tracking algorithm responding to ferrous targets (the tracking feature is absent on ORX but the ORX ground grab feature pretty much obviates the need for it, you hear ground noise, punch the ground grab button and make it go away).20191214_170230.thumb.jpg.725786510f514801e366fcda493d6395.jpg963466213_1854SeatedQuarter.thumb.jpg.e07090f793c6b5069ca611db811b5ec6.jpg1027558907_1925SLQ.thumb.jpg.4b56d030c169e2479fe128826b559058.jpg1471042182_ConfederateBlockIButton.thumb.jpg.0e4f4b5606df61d6bf382dfb70599354.jpg1259211645_GroupPicFinds.thumb.jpg.d24bb253dee6bd7417cc877b85acc572.jpg20191214_170223.thumb.jpg.500cba5495f8a668fcd4dad2e43dfec2.jpg

• Like 6

In tougher grounds I find my Kruzer to be much better because it always detects iron and reports it back accordingly so old camps in the woods etc I simply don't have the confidence in the Orx on how it more often than not does not have an iron tone when obvious iron is present.

Poking around parks it's fine for me for now.

• Like 2