Are Minelab Gpx-6000 Coils On Same Path As GPZ 7000 Coils?

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

This guy has done one, while not perfect and it was his first video he did an OK comparison I think.  There are a few flaws in his methods I guess but it gives some basic information.

Thanks for sending. Entertaining to watch. Couple of things I noticed: he did not do a GB when changing gold modes (recommended). Also, he says he is using default settings which also incudes low smoothing. With smoothing off and properly ground balanced he probably would have heard more, even in difficult. Also, when he changed to normal he did not do a noise cancel. Perhaps he could have stabilized normal better had he done both noise cancel and GB (as recommended in the owners manual when changing gold modes).

• Like 2

Nice video..the only thing I would have liked to see was the 7K in Normal... threshold barely audible and sensitivity high...Bogenes  settings... 

strick 

• Like 3

It's quite funny how the Kookaburra starts laughing when the 6000 doesn't pickup the 21 gram at 300mm at the 22 minute mark 🙂 Well timed,  I miss Kookaburras, such cool birds.  In saying that the 6000 is using a smaller coil so it's expected it wouldn't compete for outright depth.

I would struggle with the noise on the 6000, I was quite happy to get away from the noise of my older GPX 4500, I really like the smoother threshold of the GPZ, especially with the Concentric coils on it.  

I think the guy did a decent video, sure you can pick it apart for faults but he gives a general idea.  I really like the idea of the super sensitivity of the GPX 6000 on small gold, It will be interesting to see what X-coils can come up with next for the 7000 🙂

• Like 4

You can make the threshold smooth by just reducing sensitivity to 1 or 2. It is then rock stable (mostly) and still very sensitive to shallow gold. A very pleasant experience then, combined with the light weight. Agreed on the video. 

• Like 5

I didn’t watch the video, but a 20 grammer  at 300mm sounds like a Coke can, I have tried it.  My experience similar to Vic, have found over 100 sub gram bits at 10”.  I only ever use Auto+ and have never had any noise problems.

Tends to prove why utube videos comparing is a waste of time, don’t think I have ever watched one which wasn’t biased in some direction, not hearing a 20g bit at 300mm is definitely involving some sort of trickery.

• Like 8

Thanks Phrunt for posting that one.  Its only 3 days old and I haven’t had a chance to look at Youtube recently.  All info is good info, people can pick it apart all they want and we all should so as to ask more questions and perform new/revised experiments.  He tried to do what he could do and showed his experiment, methods and results.  Now you using your own brain can decide whether to accept the results as valid or not.  The more info we get the better decisions you can make.  

• Like 3

The video maker did some decent testing in very highly mineralized ground on steeply angled targets. Neither detector could hit the targets he used easily, deeper than 12” with default settings especially the 6000 in what he called Auto 1 which is segment 11 on the sensitivity scale and is just called Auto by Minelab. It’s default Auto setting has no threshold tone. Manually turning on the threshold definitely helps the Auto mode for me anyway. It is definitely not for deeper targets in difficult ground in my opinion after 8 hours with the 6000. On normal ground (haven’t used the 6000 on any yet) default Auto mode might do very well on a variety of targets and depths even with the threshold tone off. 

The 6000’s sensitivity settings are similar to those on the Goldmonster 1000. I always found the 1000’s Auto 1 setting to be pretty anemic where I often detect and have found the 6000’s Auto/difficult to be similar…..great for newbie turn on and go but it has its limitations especially with the threshold off. 

I haven’t used the 14” DD yet. I will definitely watch for the new promised video from Jenko comparing the 6000 14” DD to the GPZ 7000. 

At my age and the terrain and mineralization I often detect in, the 6000 and it’s ergonomics in any of the manual/difficult sensitivity settings is doing very well along with frequent use of the quick track feature and occasional noise cancelling. I will save the Auto and Auto+ settings for less mineralized ground for now. 

• Like 5

To be clear i wasn't being critical of the YouTube test video, i think he did a good job. I am just curious as to why his comparison test results significantly differed from my field experience of the GPX6000 ( have had the 6000 for 3 months and have found gold in New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria).

Maybe the 0.5gram nugget i found at 250mm was flatter and positioned better in the soil.

Maybe the the patch i was on was less mineralised than the  test video patch.

Maybe the nugget in the test is surrounded by air then soil and not just soil which disrupts both detectors from performing at their optimum - lots of people comment that air testing is not reliable. Both the 6000 and 7000 would have been designed to find nuggets surrounded by earth /minerals. ( like to hear what people with more tech knowledge than me think of this theory)

I would like to see field tests where a 7000 finds a target and can the 6000 see it as well and vice versa. That would be interesting.

My mate and i both had the 6000 at Tibooburra - we only detected for 3 days before we had to get back to South Australia because of a snap Covid lock down - we were planning longer but in the 3 days we chatted to 2 other guys who were detecting , they  had a SDC2300 and a 7000 - every day we came back with 2 to 3 times more to what they were finding - now that doesn't prove anything , its just an observation. Tibooburra is renown for small gold so may favour the 6000 - one day i found 14 nuggets for 0.52 grams in total (one at 0.01 gram) - constant pinging on gold targets really aided me in getting to know the new 6000.

Getting back to the topic - i am on the list to get the 17 inch mono which i am told there is still no information on when it will be available - its going to be interesting to see how this new coil performs and I'm hoping i can detect all day with it without a bungy cord - its suppose to be lighter than the 14 inch DD so should be ok.

• Like 6

Yes, I was a bit confused by his depths too but then I don't have his soil type so I just accepted it, he was unbiased though, not trying to say one is better than the other and trying to make one look bad I didn't think, they both performed pretty well if you ignore the depth and just look at the comparison, where he struggled to get a 21 gram I'd find a 1 or so gram even with my 4500 in my soil, even my Equinox has found a 1 gram with the 11" coil at about 20cm in my gold area so I just ignore the depths in videos and just go by response differences.  It's pretty clear the GPX like the GPZ is also an awesome detector and it's small gold sensitivity is outstanding.  You'd need 10 videos done like this in all different areas to really make a judgement.

• Like 5