Minelab Price Increase

Swegin

I'll believe that line of thinking when the shipping log jam opens up and Minelab reduces their prices accordingly.
It won't happen. 

I watched a TV Series called Out of Stock: Supply Chain Crisis the other day, it gave me a good insight into the worldwide problem, and it is worse than it might seem as its problems all along the chain from manufacturing to retail that are causing increased costs the world over.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16750778/

A good watch if anyone has access to it, I believe it's a Discovery UK program.

Another big issue is countries that import more than they export during this crisis, they get containers arrive loaded with stock that cost for example $30000 to get there.  With the high shipping cost they either have to send back the container empty as the destination port has nothing needing to make the return trip wasting valuable space on a ship or the container just gets left at the location empty piling up.  The ship then just goes to the next port and picks up any paying cargo again leaving the empties.

They are just writing off containers as they're making a one way trip.

The documentary showed the port in San Francisco piled up with empties and even dumping them around the streets on empty land, even on roadsides surrounding the port.  They said the problem in UK is even worse, heavily dependent on imports.

When a shipping company is going to charge you $30,000 to bring back an empty that's worth about $3500, it's not going to happen.

When recovery does start to take place there might be a container shortage as the abandoned ones end up being absorbed into the areas they're being left by being used as sheds or storage for people on farms etc.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I watched a TV Series called Out of Stock:

Thanks for this.  I am going to look for this tonight.  I believe the cities California or it may be the state itself is fining the shipping company over the empty containers.  I think it is something like $100 a day after the ninth day per container. 

21 hours ago, phrunt said:

I watched a TV Series called Out of Stock: Supply Chain Crisis the other day, it gave me a good insight into the worldwide problem, and it is worse than it might seem as its problems all along the chain from manufacturing to retail that are causing increased costs the world over.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16750778/

A good watch if anyone has access to it, I believe it's a Discovery UK program.

I also watched one just after the holidays(?), but don't know if it's the same one you saw.  I thought it was on PBS but I later searched and couldn't find it.  Maybe on the Discovery Network or History Channel or National Geographic.  It was 2 hours long, with the second hour being mostly about the difficulties of food being brought from long distances (particularly inter-continental).  But it definitely sounds like the one you describe, although there is basically one chain reaction (with multiple components) so could easily be two documentaries paralleling.  After seeing that I was surprised things are going as smoothly as they are.  (I'm sure it's worse in some places, and for some products that don't impact me.)

(text removed regarding air shipping -- see phrunt's post below)

Dilek said they'll ship the first few by air, I assume that means the ones for the Nomads for marketing purposes, the rest will be coming by container I'm sure.  If they were shipping them by air to dealers they'd be in small numbers and the cost would just have to increase.

Air cargo is crazy expensive at the moment with far less passenger flights to fill the bellies of the planes and the usual cargo flights are loaded full.  As International passenger flights increase so will cargo space on planes, but it'll always be a lot cheaper to ship by sea, even at $30,000 a container.

• Like 1

Re (When a shipping company is going to charge you $30,000 to bring back an empty that's worth about $3500, it's not going to happen.)

Son,  2 days ago purchased a container in Adelaide, South Oz for $4500 AUD. There is a surplus but the price is still up from 3 years ago when he purchased similar for $2000.

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I also watched one just after the holidays(?), but don't know if it's the same one you saw.  I thought it was on PBS but I later searched and couldn't find it.  Maybe on the Discovery Network or History Channel or National Geographic.  It was 2 hours long, with the second hour being mostly about the difficulties of food being brought from long distances (particularly inter-continental).  But it definitely sounds like the one you describe, although there is basically one chain reaction (with multiple components) so could easily be two documentaries paralleling.  After seeing that I was surprised things are going as smoothly as they are.  (I'm sure it's worse in some places, and for some products that don't impact me.)

I think Dilek indicated shipment by air (but I may be getting mixed up with other videos) so maybe that is less bottlenecked, at least Europe-->USA.  How are the XP shipments coming over?

It was on the Discovery Channel.

• Like 1

What are containers going for in SF and LA? They are like 2x normal price in Wyoming. Steel stock like angle and tubing is like 2 or 3x normal too. 

New normal with prices I guess. The only metal seemingly not going up is gold. Inflation hedge, what?

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:52 PM, Jason-NEK said:

Indeed this is true that the prices have gone up on the Equinox.  There is a strong belief that this is not because of inflation, but instead that a new chapter to the Equinox lineup is about to be released at this years Detectival in September.  They want to keep the edge against Nokta Makro and their Legend release this year.  I don't know if you've noticed or not, but Minelab has dropped its patent rights to their Multi-Frequency technology and this is the very reason why the Legend is boasting their new one of a kind, "first true" simultaneous multi-frequency technology.  Now we all know that Minelab always patents their new processors and technology as its ever changing.  What is the next chapter for Minelab?  2022 release of the new CTX6060 or maybe the Equinox 2 to compete with Deus?  hmmmmm......?????

v

How does an across the board (or near across the board) price increase by Minelab "keep the edge" against N/M and its Legend?

I wouldn't be surprised if a CTX 4040 or Equinox 1000 gets announced later this year. But I don't see how that would be a reason for Minelab to increase the prices of its products now.

QED: I'm inclined to believe Minelab's price increases are mostly due to inflationary pressures, not greed.