Best Detector For An Old Gold Mine

4 hours ago, LipCa said:

Doesn't matter if you are 25 feet or 200 feet, it will still be dark.

But, no need for a screen.

I've detected plenty of lode gold with the GB2 in the dark.... well, not really in the dark because nobody detects underground in the dark.  I always have a light......

Maybe you have hunted plenty of lode Gold, But my post is directed at showing him some really useful products that have features that could make life under ground a little easier along with having the latest Technology to boost his chances, Mines are not exactly the most friendly environments so he needs all the help he can get and although the GB II is a good machine there are better options for use in such Dark places.

john 

I agree,  that those options might be nice.  

Fleng should get plenty of practice with his detector prior to going.  Nothing like buying a detector with a "learning curve" that takes days or weeks to overcome and not have the time when you get there to learn it.

• Like 1

Absolutely,

I don't envy anyone having to make this choice nower days, Once it was easy you had the GBII and the GMT so you picked the features that you liked and go for it, But now with all the VLFs and the mid frequency machines that are on the market, you have to sit back and wait to see the success of others and read all the reviews etc, just look at Nokta/Makro the have bought out 4 machines in the past year or so and they have 3 others on the board, we are not use to such dedication and I have 3 on my short list which does not help,

john

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ridge Runner said:

The only thing I'll say is don't do it alone.

Chuck

Well, have someone waiting on the outside, that's what I do, having two people get hurt isn't a great idea. And its a very good idea to carry a clip on gas meter to monitor O2, H2S, CO, etc.

• Like 2

The mine owner and I will be joined by at least one other up top. Should have mentioned that there is electric power available  to 90% of the mine and extension cords to the rest. Fans will be pushing air for the duration but I will be carrying backup lighting, gas monitors, and radio. There is a good sized compressor there so I might try a light impact hammer instead of sledge. I'm a safety nut so I'll have a full set of eye protection, ear protection, first aid, extra water/food, and anything else I can put on a check list.

Ever gone fishing and had to use a net for an oar?

• Like 1

On 4/12/2016 at 8:31 AM, Fleng said:

Got an invitation to work an old mine in SE AZ. It has a +200-foot deep shaft and I'm looking for a quality entry level detector.

My thoughts are that in a mineralized medium like this a Gold Bug Pro might be good. Don't think that this one is going to be used for wet salt, underwater, coins, or jewelry. Probably going to get the new Minelab pinpointer to go with it.

What are the best choices for prospecting for nuggets in an underground shaft?

Full disclosure - I work at White's. If you're interested in a machine made out West please give us a call - 1-800-547-6911.

GMT is about as easy as it gets for gold. Simple, rugged, reliable. Finds the smaller stuff. They go for about $729 online.

TDI is a pulse machine, might be best to save this for down the line. Also more susceptible to interference (you mentioned power cables).

MX Sport is our new detector. Lower frequency than the GMT but we've gotten decent reports on it for gold. It is waterproof, has a backlit display, and the disc/vdi might help you skip digging some of the trash. With 20+ hours of battery life you should be ok. Priced similar to the GMT.

Our gold machines don't have as many bells and whistles as some other brands, but some people like to keep it simple. There's less to learn and less things to go wrong that way. As always no one can tell you the right machine for you, it's best to research and lay hands on a few different ones to figure out what works for YOU.

BONUS - Here's a few recent gold videos we have-

• Like 3

I think the GMT is a Cool machine and for chasing fine Gold hidden in rocks I would think it would be  a great choice as would The MXT A/P,

But there are many new machines out there that are doing what they say could not be done, So as this summer come knocking we will see how all these machines compare young and old, Great times ahead and even better Finds.

John

EDIT:- Great Videos Tom,, Thanks again.

On 4/14/2016 at 8:17 AM, auminesweeper said:

Absolutely,

I don't envy anyone having to make this choice nower days, Once it was easy you had the GBII and the GMT so you picked the features that you liked and go for it, But now with all the VLFs and the mid frequency machines that are on the market, you have to sit back and wait to see the success of others and read all the reviews etc, just look at Nokta/Makro the have bought out 4 machines in the past year or so and they have 3 others on the board, we are not use to such dedication and I have 3 on my short list which does not help,

john

Very well put John, Nokta is a detector  company "on steroids" these days and I'm sure US companies are feeling some heat.  As for now, I'm still a White's, Fisher and Tesoro guy (I love that sand shark)

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:39 AM, Hard Prospector said:

Very well put John, Nokta is a detector  company "on steroids" these days and I'm sure US companies are feeling some heat.  As for now, I'm still a White's, Fisher and Tesoro guy (I love that sand shark)

I agree, The MXT and the GMTs were tested in the worst places on Earth from place's as hot as Death Valley to Antarctica but gone are the days when companies wanted prove how good their machines are before they sell them, Now they are happy to sell them to us and wait for the backlash no matter if it destroys our Yearly holiday off work with the family or not and yes men field testers are to blame and greed,, I was going to ditch my machines but then I realised that they are the Last of the Best So I will be keeping them that's for sure.

John