I’m surprised no one has mentioned hearing aids..esp if you are worried about your surroundings...get a hearing test and see if there is anything they can do...the wife has been after me to get some for a long time now but I keep fighting her about it. I have high tone loss and hear lower tones better. When running PI’s I like using a lower tone threshold. 

Strick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have severe tinnitus and the only thing that has helped me is a pair of wireless bone conduction headphones, the pair I use are called Indutivv, I have been using them with the Legend also purchased a wireless transmitter so I can use them with my new 24K they work pretty good but be aware they still do not allow you to hear all the tones, Bone conduction headphones allow you to keep your ears open so you are able to hear things going on around you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, strick said:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned hearing aids..esp if you are worried about your surroundings...get a hearing test and see if there is anything they can do...the wife has been after me to get some for a long time now but I keep fighting her about it. I have high tone loss and hear lower tones better. When running PI’s I like using a lower tone threshold. 

Strick

Hearing aids do not help with the tinnitus, I have been to multiple Dr's to no avail it just keeps getting worse and worse mine is so bad that I am hearing 3-4 different sounds at all times 24 hours today in both ears, it is a miserable medical condition, that drives you nuts, it also makes it difficult to hear a detector.

mine is due to shooting with out ear protection and operating some really loud heavy equipment, and ridding mowers with loud exhaust when I was younger, and also farm equipment cutting silage for cows and hay equipment I never wore any kind of ear protection and now I am paying the price for it with severe tinnitus in both ears so let that be a lesson to younger people (protect your hearing or else) LOL 

Bone conduction headphones are not the total answer to a tinnitus problem but they do help some because the sound from them bypasses the ear canal and ear drum and goes straight to the cochlea

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Hearing aids do not help with the tinnitus

Your preaching to the choir here...most people with tinnitus also have hearing loss.  I never said it would make the tinnitus go away. If he is having trouble hearing certain sounds then hearing aids may help...I have over 40% loss in my left ear from a shooting incident and working in construction when I was younger. That is the ear that rings the loudest...sometimes the ear will blank out and i will  hear nothing but ringing  for about 30 seconds at a time. Great life isn’t it...but you get used to it....at least I have gotten used to the constant ringing it started in my 20s. 

strick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Hearing aids do not help with the tinnitus, I have been to multiple Dr's to no avail it just keeps getting worse and worse mine is so bad that I am hearing 3-4 different sounds at all times 24 hours today in both ears, it is a miserable medical condition, that drives you nuts, it also makes it difficult to hear a detector.

mine is due to shooting with out ear protection and operating some really loud heavy equipment, and ridding mowers with loud exhaust when I was younger, and also farm equipment cutting silage for cows and hay equipment I never wore any kind of ear protection and now I am paying the price for it with severe tinnitus in both ears so let that be a lesson to younger people (protect your hearing or else) LOL 

Bone conduction headphones are not the total answer to a tinnitus problem but they do help some because the sound from them bypasses the ear canal and ear drum and goes straight to the cochlea

Yep. My hearing was damaged the exact same way. Shooting guns, going to concerts, etc without hearing protection.

It is a miserable condition to have. I only have it on my left side or left ear, but its a constant noise, that to me, sounds like someone beating on a high-hat symbol really fast. Never goes away, but it gets worse at certain times... Especially at night time when I'm trying to sleep, or anytime I'm in an otherwise quiet place. Extremely annoying. The only thing that seems to help a little is having some kind of background white noise that's similar in pitch.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2022 at 5:41 AM, Valens Legacy said:

I hope that someone can help me out with a problem that I now have.

My hearing is getting bad due to constant ringing in the ears and I am unable to hear all the tones.

This has happened due to using a mini-sub for work all the time and the doctor tells me that it will only get worse.

I have my grandfathers 800 that I have been using and am having problems hearing the tones that I know was there before.

Soon I have to start taking a break from work or I will lose my hearing all together and I thought I would get back out there with the detector.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can do to be able to hear the tones, or do I just need to use the ID's on the display.

I can no longer hear low tones or real short tones and that is what bothers me, and I don't like wearing headphones because I want to be able to hear what is around me.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you, Caleb

I have a similar, yet opposite problem.  I can hear low tones but not high tones.

Adjust the tones and slide the scale up on your machine so you can hear all of the bins.

I use DetectorPro Black Widow headphones that were designed for folks with hearing issues.  They are fantastic and worth the money.

• Like 3

Maybe snag a machine that has vibration like the Nokta machines have. It will atleast give you an indication if there is a target under your coil and can look at the id's.

• Like 1