Sign in to follow this  
fredmason

No Tracks Since The Upgrade - GPZ

While up in the Sierra for a WSPA Outing I used my gpz. I had not used it since I did the upgrade. 

When I pushed the map button the man-icon came up but there were no tracks. The unit would mark a point and display it but no tracks to see where I had wandered.

I also noticed the unit would not return to correct threshold in a timely manner. Nor did the other functions always work correctly...

two different issues I think. What say yea?

fred

Guest Jennifer

I did the upgrade on mine and it's showing little blue lines which I assume are the tracks.... I don't see any maps per say (do base maps need to be loaded) but the tracks are there.

Thanks, Jennifer, no uploading of maps possible....I just meant the map button on the gpz that takes you to the tracks and grid....

fred

The GPZ resets everything to default when doing a firmware upgrade. You have to turn the GPS back on, and you have to reactivate the "View Geotrail" function (see below).

I am not sure about the other issues, not enough info.

minelab-gpz-7000-view-menu-gps-geotrails.jpg

Guest Jennifer
1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Thanks, Jennifer, no uploading of maps possible....I just meant the map button on the gpz that takes you to the tracks and grid....

fred

Sorry, was on my iphone and didn't really clearly explain what I was saying... I'm just starting to use the GPS function (and Minelab has no Youtube videos about it) and was actually asking if we had to load maps before hand as all I see on my screen are the blue lines, long/lat etc that I (as Steve mentioned) had to turn back on after the upgrade.

Does the GPZ have GPS maps in it nativly or do you have to upload them before hand to see roads, etc. on your GPZ screen or is it strictly a track recording device that you need to upload onto your home computer to see actual map data?

I reckon I could read the manual but you all are much more knowledgable. :smile:

Jen

Hi Steve;

I reset the gps to enhanced. The gps did work and I could mark wp and fp's...however the tracks which would normally show whether I was saving a geotrail or not, did not appear, ever...

twice, I reset the  whole system and set every thing up per spec...no tracks.I am thinking the machine is slipping into those nefarious intermittent problems..like me getting older not everything is as it should be...

7 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

strictly a track recording device that you need to upload onto your home computer to see actual map data?

Jen

That is correct, Jennifer...but, I don't think the upgrade allows the x-2 at this time....

fred

Guest Jennifer
8 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Hi Steve;

I reset the gps to enhanced. The gps did work and I could mark wp and fp's...however the tracks which would normally show whether I was saving a geotrail or not, did not appear, ever...

twice, I reset the  whole system and set every thing up per spec...no tracks.I am thinking the machine is slipping into those nefarious intermittent problems..like me getting older not everything is as it should be...

That is correct, Jennifer...but, I don't think the upgrade allows the x-2 at this time....

fred

Thanks Fred.....

It may be worth reflashing the OS (redo the update again). One GPZ update that I did for a friend, I had to do twice to get it to work properly (the first flash failed but a second one completed successfully). You may just have a bit mismatch that doing that will fix.

Jen

Hi Fred,

Did you activate "View Geotrail" as described above? Also, if in a new session, you have to load old Geotrails before they are visible. See below - Show a Saved GeoHunt On the Map. View geotrail must also be activated as described in my last post.

Jennifer, you cannot load terrain maps, all you can record or reload are tracks or locations.

It is possible to mark landmarks as locations and load them. Camp, that old prospect, etc.

Minelab GPS For CTX And GPZ With Notes On XChange2

GPS Mapping With The Minelab CTX And GPZ Detectors ( Part Two )

minelab-gpz-7000-geostore-menu-show-geohunt.jpg

Minelab GPS For CTX And GPZ With Notes On XChange2

GPS Mapping With The Minelab CTX And GPZ Detectors ( Part Two )

I really need to get part three done and posted. I am now procrastinating however waiting to see if the upgrade Minelab makes to XChange2 has things which would make my final post in the series obsolete before I post it.

Guest Jennifer

Thanks for the great info Steve.... just uploaded the current version on my Macbook Pro (with Windows as dual boot) so I could familiarize myself with what it does. I have the update so won't bother hooking up the detector yet till they make it compatible, thanks for the info.

Jen