Sign in to follow this  
mn90403

Dig And Re-dig For Meteorites

I went out for a couple of days to Gold Basin seeking gold.  It was not to be so when in Gold Basin you seek out some meteorites.  This trip it was difficult.  Nothing until the final couple of hours on Saturday night.

All of my previous locations didn't produce this trip so I went to nearby locations.  The larger 37g meteorite was found in an area without many dig holes.  It is hard to find a location in Gold Basin without any did holes!

After moving on from that location I went to an area where I could see some very old dig holes.  They were deep and big and not filled but weathered down.  It was time to slow down.  I checked around the dig holes and voila ... a hit about 8 inches from a previous dig.   Time to scrape and dig and there is a stick to rock on the magnet.  (Was it part of the previous dig hole and meteorite?)

Don't leave your hole in Gold Basin.  Check it again.  When this was done there was still a target.  Upon recovery it was a broken off piece of the meteorite that was dug.  They fit.

Total meteorite weight is 54g.

IMG_20170911_211833.jpg

IMG_20170911_212701.jpg

• Like 7

Nice finds Mitchel.

That's a good lesson for all.  Whether you're looking for meteorites or gold.

:wink:

Luke

• Like 1

Nice haul Mitchel! And a great reminder to thoroughly check your dig holes and other folks dig holes. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Fragments of meteorites fell in southwest China’s Yunnan Province on June 1 and two pieces fell through villagers’ house roofs while one fell on the dry ground and another one was found in a cornfield.

https://www.shine.cn/viral/1806045767/
    • By mn90403
      Here is a good video of the meteor striking the ground turning it into many meteorites!
      https://www.amsmeteors.org/videos/?video_id=1222
      Mitchel
    • By DolanDave
      Got out to Holbrook Arizona to hunt Meteorites with a few friends. Ended up with 168 Grams of meteorites, a few coins and items from the railroad. Eyeballed the meteorites, and used the Equinox 800 for the items. The Equinox 800 would hear the LL/LL6 Holbrook meteorites with no discrimination. As soon as I put discrimination on, I could not hear the meteorites. I could not hunt with discrimination off because of all the trash on the side of the railroad tracks...
      Dave

• By U_U
      I have been using the GM1000 for maybe 20 hours, covered some (often difficult and shifting) ground and found what I normally would find, mostly trash, most interesting so far an old key. So far so good. It is not impossible that there might be some gold to find, but highly unlikely. I am trying to dig every clear signal.
      I am mainly out to find meteorites, and I am still unsure how not to overlook a possible meteorite.
      Very, very often I would get a clear signal with iron characteristic. When I remove the ground cover, it often slowly fades away. Not sure what that is. Sometimes I do find small corroded iron crumbs (then the signal does not fade). But most often nothing.
      Also, very often the GM1000 would give a really strong signal, but it is not possible to localize, because it just fades away even before I notice if it was an iron signal or not. I assume due to the auto tracking, so this might indicate a hot rock.
      But what would I have to expect from a meteorite? If there is iron, also as quite tiny grains, the signal should not just fade, is this correct? So I do not have to worry about the signals from hot rocks?
      Thanks for help.

• By mn90403
      I was going out to watch the meteor shower tonight and detect nuggets in the desert but it is cloudy.  
      If you are in clear skies this is the night!
      https://www.livescience.com/62376-lyrid-meteor-shower-before-nibiru.html?utm_source=notification
      Mitchel