VLF Concentric Vs DD Coils

22 minutes ago, kac said:

Will the dealer swap that coil out for waterproof headphones?

Note on the Nokta waterproof headphones you need to crank the audio to 10 to hear it. Waterproof headphones in general have poor audio because of the speaker type.

Hmmm.....free waterproof headphones would be a really usefull alternative vs the free extra coil...it didn't cross my mind!

I will definitely ask him! 

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On 1/26/2015 at 11:36 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Finally, depth is more related to coil width than coil length. Think of a 5" x 10" coil as a stretched out 5" coil, not as a skinny 10" coil. That is why when listing elliptical coil sizes you will often see me putting the small number first. Marketers do it the other way around so you tend to think you are getting more than you are. A truer picture can be had by comparing the total area of a coil, one to the other, but for quick and dirty comparisons, comparing by width will give you a more conservative idea of comparative coil performance, than comparing by length.

This explains why we see so little depth gain with coils like 13”x17” and 12”x15” over their 11” round counterparts. The dimension that matters to depth rather than coverage is only 1”-2” larger than stock. So when someone asks on the equinox for example, which is deeper, the 12”x15” Minelab or the 15” round Coiltek, it should be the 15” round depending on the target as well of course 

That and the fact detectors seem to have a depth limit where putting on a longer coil adds no extra depth at all or very minimal noticeable depth improvements, and this seems to be the case with comparing the Equinox and 12x15" coil and the 15" Coiltek.  It was the same with my T2 as well, I wasn't able to get any extra depth using the 15" trash can lid coil over the 12"x13" Mars Tiger coil.

This has me dubious about the Deus 11”x13” coil as well. It is not uncommon to see an awful lot of these for sale and complaints that they gained no depth over the 11” round, only coverage, which made the unit nose heavy. The Deus II is one unit I would love to see an actual 13” round coil for, but I’m guessing we will never see it. It looks like all they have in store for us is another 11”x13”