12 minutes ago, Sourdoughmoe said:

I was hoping to hear more from 24 k users as there’s a lot of gm1000 owners

I've had my 24k for awhile now, and just sold my GM1000. They are both extremely sensitive, but I like the 24k because it has more onboard tools to customize the detectors performance in different situations. And the 6" concentric coil does shoot a little deeper than a double-D coil of the same size.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Lunk said:

I've had my 24k for awhile now, and just sold my GM1000. They are both extremely sensitive, but I like the 24k because it has more onboard tools to customize the detectors performance in different situations. And the 6" concentric coil does shoot a little deeper than a double-D coil of the same size.

I would probably also appreciate the extra control the 24k offers.  But, in auto tracking, did the 24k perform as well as the GM1000?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dubious said:

I would probably also appreciate the extra control the 24k offers.  But, in auto tracking, did the 24k perform as well as the GM1000?

The XGB auto tracking works great, and unlike the GM1000, it tracks several ground balance points simultaneously, providing more accurate tracking in variable ground.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Lunk, How do you feel the Nox 800 compares with the 24k? Considering the Nox also has more onboard tools to customize the detectors performance in different situations. Unlike the GM 1000. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

I’m thinking the 24k has a slight edge over the EQX 800 between the XGB and concentric coil.

• Like 1

The 24k totally outclasses the Gold Monster as regards user-adjustable features. The 24k features fully adjustable audible threshold, variable self-adjusting audible threshold, locked ground balance, instantaneous ground balance via "grab," adjustable ground balance offset, VCO modulated non-motion pinpoint, relative target depth indication when pinpointing, soil analysis via Ground Scan, which reveals both the strength and  type of soil mineralization, fully adjustable iron reject, which ranges from extreme ground, then rot rocks, then iron of varying size, two-tone "good/bad" target ID,  and the awesome XGB multi-point ground balance averaging system allows the 24k to be operated in extreme ground that defeats the Gold Monster. With those advantages, and lower price, the 24k is far and away the better choice of the two. My recommendation: Get the 24k Export Pack, the flat-bottomed 6.5" concentric is unbelievably sensitive to microflakes, even in the worst of soils. Hope this helps. HH Jimmy M 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Because these two detectors are so different in design, there are other things to consider besides performance.

Some might be willing to give up a possible very slight edge in performance of the 24k for the simplicity of the Monster.  The Monster is so unique in that regard that it has real value. 

The simplicity of the Monster 1000 is frankly addicting to me even though I have the experience and skills to run the more complex nugget detectors.  Maybe I’m just getting old.  I have an Equinox I can use if I want to play with settings and try to dial in peak performance if i want.

Im just saying your personality and type of hunting you do needs to be factored in for Detector choice too.

Bryan

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Lunk said:

The XGB auto tracking works great, and unlike the GM1000, it tracks several ground balance points simultaneously, providing more accurate tracking in variable ground.

5 hours ago, Jimmy M said:

....and the awesome XGB multi-point ground balance averaging system allows the 24k to be operated in extreme ground that defeats the Gold Monster.

I am interested in a link to the details about how the ground tracking works in the Gold Monster and the assertion that it does not track multiple ground points. I am also interested in seeing evidence that the 24K can operate in ground that “defeats” the Gold Monster.  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Im just saying your personality and type of hunting you do needs to be factored in for Detector choice too.

You hit the nail on the head, Bryan: some folks prefer automatic operation while others like to fiddle with settings.

27 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am interested in a link to the details about how the ground tracking works in the Gold Monster and the assertion that it does not track multiple ground points. I am also interested in seeing evidence that the 24K can operate in ground that “defeats” the Gold Monster.  

Now that you mention it, Steve, that is an asumption on my part, so I’m interested too.