Detecting Around The River

Art,

Hey you keep it up! Anyone can detect the deserts where your begging for any target to dig. Hunting trashy areas forces you to learn your machine and which sounds are the best to dig. In areas like your in, your looking for just one nugget to hunker down to a new patch in trashy ground...keep digging

Rick

• Like 2

hey Rick, 

thanks for the words of encouragement, Ive been studying the advice on this thread and am getting ready for another stab at it. I even printed it all out and put it in my prospecting binder, so I don't forget none of it. Every time I reread something and then get out in the field and experience something new (every time) I feel a tiny bit less lost, but the best part is no matter what its always a great adventure out there and I just remind myself this is about the journey and at this point in my life thats worth more than gold.

clark

• Like 1

California gold, thank you for the great info something i will use.

for now I have been prospecting on club claims "Comstock Gold Prospectors" This last claim I went down into is in a very good area off forrest hill near the location of the old town of deadwood.  I also had a gold pan with me and did one small test sample that had a few specks in it and I know from club reports that there is gold on the claim. now the location of nuggets or if they exist on the claim at this point I am guessing yes based on the history of the area, but I don't know the spot enough to tell if or where any deposits could have originated. it was supposed to be one of the best areas in the old days and I don't think they had any hydraulic activity. tailing piles cover the hillside near the claim and the soil is a deep rich red.

I don't think there are any mining claims on top of the mountain all of that is active timber harvest, however I am guessing the top of the mountain would not be the best place to look anyway.

North Fork of the Middle Fork of American River has treated me well.

• Like 2

Some great friends own a mining patent on the NF of the Middle Fork and have given me permission to helo my new dredge into there......hmmmmmm

El Dorado,

you are probably safe in most places down there, the river is so remote, although i did see a forrest service ranger on the dirt road in the logging area. is it ok to dredge yet, although the ban was thrown out by the court my understanding is it is still being enforced by some of the rangers and everything is on hold until something comes out on the arrest of the last two guys that refused to sign their tickets for dredging even though that was after the court decisions.