January Gold From The Chesapeake Bay (15)

During the winter here in the Chesapeake bay my main goal is to watch for the best conditions, then try put and myself in the right location to find gold. I seen a Opp coming Monday mornings lowtide,  No  winds and calm water. Perfect conditions and I knew where to go, a spot that has been very good to me since July 2019. First target of the day a Nice 14k cigar band, 45 minutes later gold ring number two for the day. A Victorian ladies gold ring, no fineness mark. Ring was badly stained. Third and final gold came as water was starting to get rough. Cutting across in the water and headed in I got a strong signal, two scoops and out came a badly stained gold band. Unmarked / No fineness mark which is very common for this beach since it opened in the 1880's.  Not many targets this hunt, 3 gold rings, 2 coins, several sinkers and a few pieces of brass in a little over 3.5 hours.  Water temps are now in the low 40's, a month from now should really be some great hunting with constant lowtides and NW winds......water will be in the lower 30's but I can do about 4 good hours with my drysuit setup....Thanks for looking...Joe

21c.jpg

21triple.jpg

21D.jpg

Hi Joe, 

Thanks for the video.  

What a great 1st target of the day.   I'm usually a little wary if my first find of the day is top shelf.  But you followed that up with 2 more.   Nicely done. Great start to the year. 

I like your floating screen sifter material better than my wire mesh.   Haven't figured out what it is you're using.  Can you point me in a direction ? 

Rich - 

Thank you....Here is some info on the sifter, McMaster Carr is where I get the mesh when I first started..............some one just asked a few weeks ago so I did a vid for them also..

Also a friend of mine got me something called Rockshield Mesh...which has been the best I've used...he works construction, they cover the pipes with it then fill in with rock, the mesh protects the pipes.

http://www.typargeosynthetics.com/products/pipe-protection-underground-marking/protectamesh-hd-rockshield-mesh.html

Thanks Joe !  That's a great help and appreciated.   I would never have guessed  the base was a bread tray.  LOL     Very clever. 

Rich 

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Man Joe, you are killing it - good for you!

What is your theory of the similarity of the insignia rings? It's like an entire ring set in different sizes. What are the letters? They are so stylized I can't really make them out. Very interesting.

Thanks Steve, I've got 15 from this beach since July. It was the type of ring that was popular for that time period. (And maybe that area)  Most are not stamped with a fineness mark .....so it dates them to the late 1800's to early 1900's.  You really have to look close to make out the initials ......Also took me a second to figure out how to shoot a photo, slanted them downward in the front. I love this beach for there are so many things that personalize the rings that I find here. 

obn22.jpg