Do You Know Your Templars?

Today I had a chance to go out to the beach for a 2 hour afternoon hunt using the 3030 while I wait on my bracket piece from Minelab.  Thank you Minelab.  

Lately I've been working the same beaches which have not been producing much in the way of coin or jewelry finds this month.  We've had a bit of energy in some waves but the intervals have been so great that there is no grouping of objects so the beaches are hard to read.  When I started I was finding nothing for a few hundred yards and then I got a hit.  It was some larger steel trash that I didn't save but I started circling around that and found some of the pieces below.  I still had not found a coin.

IMG_0147.thumb.JPG.8192b278ed513b07f5db045d7fef0f0e.JPG

Just because there was something and it was deep I decided to grid mostly because there were no other clues.  I doubled my lines up and down across the black sand line and I managed a couple of quarters and the button below the ring.  Then I got the key which sounded like a penny.  Then the deeper steel parts because they were sounding scratchy.  The flattened bottle caps were in there too but at least they were something.

During this time an older white guy who looked like a tourist tried to stop me and ask me what the best thing I ever found was.  I kinda looked and pointed at my headphones and kept gridding my beach.  I didn't want to be bothered.  He was not very pleased with me but what could I do?

Then I got the high pitch you always love with a 3030 and thought it was another quarter until I looked down into the scoop.  Silver I hoped and a honker at that.  It felt heavy but not solid ... maybe a biker's ring?  I didn't know.

IMG_0151.thumb.JPG.755a312de32a46533ad06ad366de5812.JPGIMG_0152.thumb.JPG.172541abdc5a94efd9b33258f8b68716.JPG

It does say .925 but I can't make out the other mark and this picture I have of the backside doesn't capture it either.  It weighs just over a half ounce!  It fits although I could size it easily because it has a crack.  Most of the red is gone.  I've looked on the internet and found the same shield design on a stainless steel costume ring but this one is silver.

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.eeacd54913996f082db4ef2b5096e877.JPGIMG_0154.thumb.JPG.a66dba2bad925914b909b5b287b849aa.JPG

I continued to grid this section of beach for another 30 minutes and picked up the piece of pipe and another couple of quarters before a group of 5 guys came walking by.  These are normally the type you don't want to tell anything to when you are on the beach alone.  I would have ignored them if it was at night but this one black guy (I use these descriptions just so you know the total story) about 30 asked me what the best thing I ever found was.  I lowered my headphones and I said "Since you asked, I'll show you something."  I reached into my Minelab pouch and pulled out this ring and his eyes went BIG.  Ah ... it was great.  His buddies who were local Mexican and black guys too came over and said 'Hey dude, you got a Templar, way to go!'  I've got this ring in my hand and the guy who asked me about it reaches down to take it from me to look at it but I'm not letting it go.  haha  He gave it a tug and then understood I was showing it, I wasn't letting him handle it.  He and his buddies went walking down the beach with a nice laugh.  I don't think these guys will ever pick up a metal detector.

Before I left the beach the first guy who asked me about my finds came walking back and I thought ... I'll show him the ring too.  Well, once burned, twice shy, he didn't look at me.  I wanted to run after him and tell him I was detecting my pattern when I saw him before and couldn't talk but he was gone down the beach.  It was a good afternoon.

Can someone give me their ideas about this ring?

Mitchel

I forced myself to watch 30 minutes of that show one time and I can't do it again!

Did they find a biker ring too?

8 hours ago, geof_junk said:

"I don't know nothing" but this link might get you started.

................LINK...............

I did similar links and searches before I posted.  I read about the red there.  

I also right clicked on the picture of the ring and selected 'search Google for Image' and that didn't help.  You can do this on many images and get an exact location or similar item or face.

Try it ... it will scare you.

The Knights Templar don't have a patent on that cross, although that isn't to say the maker&owner weren't using it for that reason.