Simplex Mod

Many know I like to tinker with metal detectors and customize them to my personal tastes......So that is what I did to my Simplex. Since it is not the version with the wireless headphones and need to use the supplied wired headphone adapter, a mod was made. The supplied wired headphone adapter is too short, the wire kind of whimpy. Also, did not place the headphone wires in a position that wasn't cumbersome. A much longer adapter was made up, so the headphones can be plugged in by the arm cuff. Now the headphone wire will run up the side of the body. Out of the way. Less chance of snag ups or pulling your headphones off the top off your head when you lay the detector down. Not pictured, when the headphones are plugged in, the wires is secured with a cable tie thru the arm cuff strap slots. I can also go wireless using an aftermarket wireless headphone. I can plug in the transmitter into the adapter jack and place the transmitter in the convenient holder under the armcuff. Very nice set-up. As you can now water hunt, a bit deeper. Pictures below.

1ADAPTER800.JPG

1AADAPTER800.JPG

2ADAPTER800.JPG

3ADAPTER800.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Some have asked if I make them for sale. Sorry to say, cost wise for parts is expensive here in Canada when shipping, Customs fees from the supplier is factored in. Then add labor. For what they would have to sell for that people would pay. There's really no profit. Then shipping from Canada is also expensive.   You can make one yourself.  Pin out is the same for the Kruzer, Anfibio and Simplex.

A stereo jack  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/switchcraft-inc/838/SC2735-ND/361544

Microphone wire  https://www.parts-express.com/cat/microphone-cables/670

M12  8 pin plug.  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-ltw/12-08BMMA-SL8001/APC1731-ND/5253125

MK M12 Pinout.png

Hi Seven, you think this would work on the Vanquish? I just got one today and it has rained all day. I would like to try this on it. Mine is the 440, not with wireless headphones. I may not like it, if not, it will go down the road. Thanks  Dean

20 hours ago, Dean Stone said:

Will only work if you know the pinout of the Vanquish and wire it accordingly. 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I built this but I see that the speaker is still active with the headphones attached. I found by adding a 1kOhm resistor from pin 7 to pin 5 tells the detector a wired headset is attached and mutes the internal speaker.

Here is a photo showing the solder side of the connector with the headphone and USB connections shown (sorry about my drawing of the headphone jack).

image.png