Gold And Silver At The Beach

Our beaches in southern California have been shut down for a number of weeks.  I did manage to sneak in a couple of nighttime hunts but they were nothing to write home about as they say.  Even without the metal detecting pressure the conditions just weren't right.  Some of that changed this week and the beaches were also opened on Wednesday.  I couldn't go that day but I did go on Thursday in the daylight!  haha  I had some 'moderate' success at one of my favorite beaches.  There was a bit of a slope to it but no real cut.  The tide was not very low but I could detect the top of the hill, avoiding a few people.

IMG_0229.thumb.JPG.4cb7ec8cea9aa042758559e143c49493.JPGIMG_0231.thumb.JPG.93a9508e0b8275f17ba603a130a4cd5e.JPGIMG_0232.thumb.JPG.6d44e0e6aa6951f39bd9c278c8a4abb0.JPG

I managed one junk ring, a cheap bracelet, a lock and key and some salvage scraps missed when a sailboat was yanked off the beach a few months back.  There was also the Australian coin!

It was a good enough hunt to encourage me to go back today.  And the wind waves had changed the shore for the better.  It was a bit steeper.  I did the best I could with the incoming tide and the extra number of people trying to social distance.  It took away some of my grid areas so I had to modify my hunt.  Within the first 15 minutes I got a nice silver ring.

IMG_0234.thumb.JPG.11720a47e669410fe70b10bb2867aae4.JPG

It wasn't high and it wasn't low on the hill.  I made a note of it of course but kept to my pattern for this beach which produces with a grid.  You can find rings mixed in with coins.  You keep a tight pattern and you will get directly over your target if it is there.  Funny thing was that was not how I got this ring.  I heard it 'off coil' in my fringe at the bottom of my turn and had to seek it out to then see the 28 which made me think it was a quarter but it is much better.  It is a little small for me but it is 10g/.925.

Most of the coins were found up and out of the now rising tide but I didn't have much time so I wanted to go back to that heavy ring line and see if there was more.  This brought me down to where the people walking area was against the water.  I left the perpendicular grid for a parallel sweep.  It wasn't long before I had a couple more rings!

IMG_0235.thumb.JPG.7ee77b4bc1d573c672ec9fba5607261f.JPG

Both of them are stainless steel and of no value but I found them the same way.  They caught my attention 'off coil' and then I dug down the 5-7 inches to get them.  Once I got over them they had numbers like 10 or 16 with my settings at 23/6/50/no iron bias.

I reversed myself on the beach to keep my pattern and skipped a few pennies (20) to not waste time as my zone was about to be under water and I could lose things in the surf.  Near the end of the session I got my last ring.  

IMG_0236.thumb.JPG.d2d55d2bbe41d584d7a730ddaa9367d2.JPG

It is a 10k/2g but I'll take it.

There was one additional silver chain section and some junk jewelry pieces.  I hope there is more when I go back!  You never know with a beach but I had to go.

IMG_0237.thumb.JPG.2454049039bb02a8956b1c781cf5ce5e.JPGIMG_0238.thumb.JPG.d33c8983f344b94912a25b48360e1a69.JPG

It was fun.

Mitchel

Mitchel, I’d say you did very good considering the beaches have been closed and I’m sure there are others detecting the beach as well.   The one time I detected a beach, it was at Lake Tahoe.   I used my racer 2 in beach mode as the black sand was driving me nuts, plus I’m a gold nugget guy, beaches were and are still new to me.   It was an eye opener for me as I had no idea there were so many man made rusted sharp items lurking beneath the sand.  I had a couple people come up to me asking what I had found and when I showed them the rusted sharp items they were grateful and also unaware of what lurks beneath.  I was thanked for removing those items and I’m thankful of you for removing sharp rusted items while being rewarded with gold and silver.   Keep it up, the gold and silver golds will keep your pockets full and have a great day,

Brian. 

I've been to Lake Tahoe with my CTX 3030.  I waded a beach that was not subject to any waves.  It was very cold which could have been good but I know several people had already detected it.  I've see a couple of videos where people have found old, smaller swimming areas and found jewelry.