So What Are Your Plans For The Impulse AQ Limited?

If the MUTE mode is sufficient to cut this type of sand, it is preferable to use it, because it will increase the depth of detection.

If it is not sufficient as steve says, you must switch to VOLCANIC SAND MODE, if you have arrived in this mode it means that no other detector will work. In this case, a 20 grs gold signet ring put on the sand will make no sound with a VLF or BBS.

I'm desperately trying to find the videos!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

If the MUTE mode is sufficient to cut this type of sand, it is preferable to use it, because it will increase the depth of detection.

If it is not sufficient as steve says, you must switch to VOLCANIC SAND MODE,

So in your opinion Alexandre, MUTE would be preferable to TONES in heavy magnetite, heavy but not so bad that VOLCANIC must be used?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

If it is not sufficient as steve says, you must switch to VOLCANIC SAND MODE, if you have arrived in this mode it means that no other detector will work. In this case, a 20 grs gold signet ring put on the sand will make no sound with a VLF or BBS.

I'm desperately trying to find the videos!

Since there seems to be less trash in the dense black sand wouldn't All Metal mode be preferable for the additional depth? Sorry if this has already been addressed.

All Metal is TOO POWERFUL for heavy magnetite concentrations, overloading the machine. So you have to lower sensitivity to a minimum and pulse delay to a maximum. Even that may not work, so you have to "downshift" to less powerful modes. The far end is Volcanic Mode.

That leave Tones and Mute as intermediate choices, with Alexandre indicating Mute may be the better choice between the two.

It is counter-intuitive to many people, but the way to deal with intense ground is not to jack the power up, but to tone it down. The problem is not lack of power, but machine overload. Smaller coils are also an aid because the detector is "seeing" too much ground. Another old analogy is that running in magnetite is like driving your car in a snowstorm. High beams leave you blind. Low beams lets you see what is right under your nose.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Compass said:

Since there seems to be less trash in the dense black sand wouldn't All Metal mode be preferable for the additional depth? Sorry if this has already been addressed.

No because this type of sand is magnetic, we can say ferrous, so the ALL METAL mode detects the variation in thickness of this sand and it sounds everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

All Metal is TOO POWERFUL for heavy magnetite concentrations, overloading the machine. So you have to lower sensitivity to a minimum and pulse delay to a maximum. Even that may not work, so you have to "downshift" to less powerful modes. The far end is Volcanic Mode.

That leave Tones and Mute as intermediate choices, with Alexandre indicating Mute may be the better choice between the two.

It is counter-intuitive to many people, but the way to deal with intense ground is not to jack the power up, but to tone it down. The problem is not lack of power, but machine overload. Smaller coils are also an aid because the detector is "seeing" too much ground. Another old analogy is that running in magnetite is like driving your car in a snowstorm. High beams leave you blind. Low beams lets you see what is right under your nose.

Thanks Steve, I like that "high beam" analogy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

No because this type of sand is magnetic, we can say ferrous, so the ALL METAL mode detects the variation in thickness of this sand and it sounds everywhere.

Thank you Alexandre/Steve, I am more familiar with the Dual Field than with my BeachHunter which I usually hunt with the ground balance "off" and the delay and gain cut back in black sand. Sounds like I should  be using the manual ground balance in the black sand similar to using tones/mute on the AQ?

55 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So in your opinion Alexandre, MUTE would be preferable to TONES in heavy magnetite, heavy but not so bad that VOLCANIC must be used?

This is a very good question and I see what you are thinking ...

For the gold nuggets reseach with an AQ:

In heavy magnetite, the TONE mode and MUTE mode will not work. It does not mask enough.
I prefer to talk about cutting or masking magnetic ground rather than talking about balance.
You would not be able to easily obtain a ground balance as on the TDI for the search for gold nuggets with the AQ. It's depends of the ATS setting ...

Only the volcanic mode can mask correctly this type of ground, but you will hardly find the point of equilibrium because in general you will be well beyond this point when the ground is masked)

Much of the very gold nuggets is therefore eliminated due to the attenuation of the signal caused by strong masking.

On the wet sand:

At the beach when there are concentrations of magnetic sand the detector will sound like an iron nail at this place, so it will make a low pitch in TONE mode.
If the sand is made up of different layers that undulate in depth, the bass sound will vary continuously.
In Mute mode, the magnetic sand layers are masked (but not balanced, we are not on the point of equilibrium we are well beyond when the ground is masked)
This does not prevent finding the gold jewelry.

If it's too strong, we must used the VOLCANIC SAND mode.
And again, this does not prevent finding the gold jewelry.
You will reduce the depth due to the attenuation of the signal caused by strong masking.

But we must not forget that for all the other detectors it is a zero inch detection!

• Like 4