Quick Air Test Of GPX 6000

Lunk

Okay, I hit the Minelab booth at the Quartzsite gold show this morning, and got to swing the GPX 6000 over a couple of targets that I brought along, asked Debbie some questions about the machine and its tech, as well as snapped some photos of the box. So one of the targets I brought is a tiny flake of a nugget that is invisible to the Zed, but a VLF will hit on it all day long. The GPX 6000 with the 14” DD coil in EMI cancel mode had no trouble seeing it, which is quite impressive; the detector was set up this way because there was too much EMI present to operate the 11” mono coil. I also brought along a small, 1 gram chondrite meteorite, and waving it over the coil produced a significant response from the detector. So the GPX 6K is definitely super sensitive. 
Debbie showed me that, while the pitch of the threshold tone is not adjustable, the threshold tone can be turned on and off by a long press of the normal/difficult ground type button. The threshold pitch to me seems to be preset to around the default pitch of the GPZ 7000, about halfway between the highest and lowest pitches. I asked about the price and availability of any accessories, like the 17” mono coil, and the reply was that there is no information yet. I also asked if she knew what GeoSense is and how it works, to which she answered that the machine is continuously adjusting to the ground and EMI. When I asked if the 6000's normal and difficult timings are blends of the soil timings that are used in the GPX 5000, the answer was no. I didn't see any kind of port on the detector that would enable a connection to a computer for a software update, and Debbie doesn't think it is updatable. You'll notice on the box that the weight of the detector is 5.1 pounds, and I'm assuming that is with the 14”DD coil attached, as it is noticeably heavier than both the 11” and 17” mono coils.

Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

79CD83D4-1A82-4F63-A8FE-8CF7A92C1FE8.thumb.jpeg.a2a287520ac39adc4402e66768507856.jpeg

22DC500A-C0CF-4DC5-B740-B58918B86AFE.thumb.jpeg.97cae4e4caa37ff206b3f8fbe8ccf849.jpeg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, araratgold said:

Lunk, could the threshold tone be changed ?

Particularly important to a lot of folk who have hearing loss at various frequencies !

Cheers,

Rick

Rick, I just edited my post to include that information.

4 minutes ago, Lunk said:

Rick, I just edited my post to include that information.

Thanks Lunk,

That will make it difficult for many ! I find it extraordinary that for the price they are asking that pitch can not be changed ! 🙄

Rick

Even though your targets were an air test. How close did you have to be to the targets to hear them?  You’re the closest thing to infield performance testing we’ve had this whole time 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Even though your targets were an air test. How close did you have to be to the targets to hear them?  You’re the closest thing to infield performance testing we’ve had this whole time 🤣🤣

I'm guessing it saw the flake at 2” to 3”, and the space rock at 4” to 5”. Of course, the 11” mono loop should get more depth than the 14” DD.

Thanks Lunk. That's some good performance with a DD, not to mention a 14'er. 

Were you able to test that little nugget in Salt Cancel mode? I can't remember from the manual now, but it was a different timing than EMI cancel even though they both use the DD right?

That’s correct, Jason, However, I did not try the Salt Cancel mode.

Heck Lunk,  Your post with the testing is almost good enough to be it's own post, but maybe Steve feels it's best here.

Either way, with performance like that in CANCEL Mode of all things and a DD coil is most impression.  So they are not joking when they say it will find smaller gold than a GPZ-7000. 

Also looks like the box is different coloring than what we seen from Africa. 

Thanks for taking the time for the informal testing, pictures, questions and posting for us here on Detector Prospector.  Just another reason why I enjoy having you on my team.

6.jpg

features.jpg

2 hours ago, Lunk said:

detector is 5.1 pounds, and I'm assuming that is with the 14”DD coil attached, as it is noticeably heavier than both the 11” and 17” mono coils.

Thanks for the report, Lunk. That's really great. That's 2.2 lb lighter than the GPZ with same coil size. That's really not bad. I guess the 14 DD will be better at small shallow gold and the Super-D will trump in depth.