Yet another spring like day today. Started out relatively warm, about 48. I decided to do some scouting on land I haven't visited as yet so I will know where to go in the future. In particular I was looking for another house that was in one of the fields back in 1917.

I think I found it. Found what looks like a drawer keyhole, and then an aluminum child's ring with no stone. It is very fragile and pretty mangled, but highly decorated.

I visited three separate areas, two yielded coins. I dug the 1967 quarter and a 1937 wheat penny. Went way out in the field near the river and found an 1867 Indian head. It was very difficult to find the date but I did. In the area that had no coins I found one small colonial button, it appears to have a backstamp but it is unreadable.

Not bad for just walking around at random, really coin shooting.

20210225_203317.jpg

1867 Indian Head penny is a semi-key.  For some reason (maybe because they minted so many during the Civil War -- those were hoarded during the war but probably recirculated in droves afterward) that from 1866 to 1872 the mintage was down and those 7 years fall into the semi-key category (IMO).  I always recommend caution in cleaning coins with numismatic value potential, and this qualifies.

You continue to rack up the nice finds in that permission.  Keep on rollin'!

57 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I always recommend caution in cleaning coins with numismatic value potential, and this qualifies.

Poor coin has really bad Bronze Disease, cleaning is risky. I had to get out the microscope to get the date, and even then it's a maybe.

20210225_191504.jpg