Searching For Mid 1800's Inn Site

Ok, so technically in the past I had already found evidence of travellers camping out in the surrounds, close to where the inn might have been.  In my part of the world where English colonisation only occurred in the late 1830's, it is very rare to find pre-Victoran era coins - with exception of a couple of local inn sites.  So far we have seen KG3, William IV and a lone Reale from the site, of which most were lost by travellers heading across the border to the rich Victorian Goldfields.

I had recently been given a more approximate location of the actual inn location, so a day was spent pushing through metre high prickles chasing the telltale iron signature of previous habitation.  There were plenty of clues lying scattered in the soil, ceramics, lead, the odd brass fitting and a lone fob watch winder, though no coins at that stage.  Low and behold after fruitless hours of searching I got my first decent signal within a few metres of my car (always the way), and by the thickness of the coin I knew it was going to be old - an 1806 KG3 penny.  So despite being very happy at finding that coin, looks like I still have a fair bit more ground work to do.  Even more daunting is the sheer size of the site considering my previous Georgian coins and a keg tap were found over 300 metres from the latest coin. 

IMG_20210508_204901.jpg

IMG_20210508_204933.jpg

IMG_20210508_205001.jpg

IMG_20210508_205031.jpg

IMG_20210508_205118.jpg

IMG_20210508_205206.jpg

IMG_20210508_205327.jpg

Is there a ton of signals or are you able to chase fringe targets? Bet there is plenty more.

No there are not many signals, you do come across the odd patch of iron and scattered tin roofing, other than that coins stand out like the proverbial (if you can get your coil to the ground}.  Problem is that the finds tend to get dragged a long way from their origin considering the ground has been ripped in the past, so a bit of a lottery on what you will find. 

Great hunting on that type of ground, it seems to be pretty rough out there.

Good luck on your next outing.