Diggin' The Campground (update)

Ok looked em all over:

123 quarters, 73 state quarters, no 2020 W's. 50 "eagle" quarters, earliest date 1966.

67 dimes, earliest date 1973.

14 nickels, earliest 1964. An odd 2000 that is all copper.

35 Zincolns, 15 too crusty to turn in, total 50.

35 copper memorials, earliest 1963.

One Canadian penny, 1986, and one 1944 wheat that may have been in the bag from another hunt. 😀

289 coins, only $39.99! 

20210929_195417.jpg

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Wait !

You dug 81 holes for the coins......but , how many for junk ???

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww my elbows scream just thinkin' about it !

Keep up the good work , you might own that place before you're through.😉

Ok, you asked for it. 😀

Didn't photograph it all, but:

Day 120210925_103845.thumb.jpg.9526a037b609d0dd17b9e9616dfd45a0.jpg

Day 220210926_142623.thumb.jpg.ac2e4cdfababdf8f0471e3a01cc778c6.jpg

Day 320210928_121542.thumb.jpg.3c46cb01c69fd19f9cbfe229ed43b0c1.jpg

Threw a out some steel and some larger aluminum, but each day was about the same. One day I didn't get much at all. Most amusing was the half cellphone and the pressure regulator. Add probably 100-150 more holes... 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not a bad trash to coin ratio at all!! And you killed the quarters! Any yeah, it's too bad, that they are our largest "common" denomination coin! It would definitely be a game changer if those were dollar or two dollar coins! I'm actually surprised not to see just a few in the count! But it all adds up eventually! That's also one thing I miss about coin parking meters; no more resupply of many lost coins!!😔

The nickel/pop tab count was a little on the lean side also! But as I recall, that was somewhat intentional on your part! And I guess few lost rings so far!

Thanks for keeping track,and posting👌, that is a mess of digging! How many of those were in "coin spills"?? And did you get the "detector legs" from those three days?? I would be walking like Frankenstein from the pain of those finds!!🤣👍👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Not a bad trash to coin ratio at all!! And you killed the quarters! Any yeah, it's too bad, that they are our largest "common" denomination coin! It would definitely be a game changer if those were dollar or two dollar coins! I'm actually surprised not to see just a few in the count! But it all adds up eventually! That's also one thing I miss about coin parking meters; no more resupply of many lost coins!!😔

The nickel/pop tab count was a little on the lean side also! But as I recall, that was somewhat intentional on your part! And I guess few lost rings so far!

Thanks for keeping track,and posting👌, that is a mess of digging! How many of those were in "coin spills"?? And did you get the "detector legs" from those three days?? I would be walking like Frankenstein from the pain of those finds!!🤣👍👍

I found many spills, one had 5 quarters and a dime. Most were twos or threes.

One of the things I'm thinking about was that I avoided digging a 24-26 if it was too deep. Didn't have a deep digging shovel, only had my Lesche Samson, which only plugs about 5". Many of the places I hunted were landscaped. I did go after every 28-32 and higher. I might have missed a silver coin or two, but there wouldn't have been many. Thought about that after discovering the sink rate was high, I found some quarters 6-8" down, and they had dates in the 2000s.

I was ok leg wise, found that taking ibuprofen gave me bad leg cramps later so I switched to aspirin.

Only got one ring, a rainbow stainless. Really expected more, as people might "chuck" jewelry playing Cornhole. I dug every 1-12 unless it was a solid 14 or 13/14, that was always a pull tab along with 18/19. I dug all 14/15s for the most part so I got pull tabs. 😀 When I was forced to use 10kHz I lost F2=3 which only works in Multi, so I got bottle caps. Otherwise I was able to ignore them. Many of the caps in my pictures were picked up without digging just as a courtesy. I was averaging a coin find every 4 minutes, sometimes even less. There was so much the place should be "cleaner" now. 🤗

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done, you using the 5x10? Very good on trash ratio. Surprised there wasn't more jewelry. Was there a lot of aluminum?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kac said:

Well done, you using the 5x10? Very good on trash ratio. Surprised there wasn't more jewelry. Was there a lot of aluminum?

I used the 5x10 for most of it, for a while in the larger gathering field I used the stock 11" coil as I thought it would cover more area. It did but it was harder to pinpoint. I put the 5x10 back on when I was in the smaller areas, I was able to find coins under metal benches.

Thankfully there isn't as much can slaw in this park as I would find in a field, but there are lots of pull tabs. People drink a lot when camping.

I'm sure I missed some things from skipping pull tab signals. I emphasize that I would find a coin or many every few feet. I also stopped digging pennies when I could just because of the amount of time I had. I think if I dug every penny I detected I wouldn't have got so many other higher denomination coins!

• Like 3

You said you were finding spills of quarters. Curious how the Nox stock coil and 5x10 compare with stacked quarters and if they id's wrap or wrap different. TN Sharpshooter pointed out that stacking quarters make the id's wrap. Did some tests here and found my larger 12" coil fails at 2 quarters and id go to iron. Same with the 10x12 wide scan on my Tejon. Concentric on the Kruzer will not wrap and id just pegs to 99. Concentric on Tejon does not wrap either.

On the Apex with MF I start to get a wrap at 4 quarters. In 20khz is similar to the Kruzer, 15khz slighlty better, 10 slightly better than 15 but at 5khz it will give a 99 and high tone at 10 quarters.

Guess the question is does the Nox wrap like most machines? If so then going to single low freqency might be a good thing to target check when you start hearing lots of iron and distorted signals.

Big thanks to TN Sharpshooter on the stacked quarters, got me thinking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kac said:

You said you were finding spills of quarters. Curious how the Nox stock coil and 5x10 compare with stacked quarters and if they id's wrap or wrap different. TN Sharpshooter pointed out that stacking quarters make the id's wrap. Did some tests here and found my larger 12" coil fails at 2 quarters and id go to iron. Same with the 10x12 wide scan on my Tejon. Concentric on the Kruzer will not wrap and id just pegs to 99. Concentric on Tejon does not wrap either.

When you write "wrap", do you mean having the displayed digits go up to high 30s or even 40? I had the 10x5 on when I found the big spill, and maybe with the stock coil when I got two or three at once, but it was always the same. I distinctly remember not seeing any higher number than 33. I knew I had at least one quarter, it was a shock to keep having the pinpointer or detector go off when I rechecked the hole. 😀 It was always 28-31 on most, maybe saw a 32 or 33 when there were more.

I made sure the Equinox was always properly ground balanced everywhere I went. If I was in shade with damp ground I would do it again. Luckily it rained hard the day before I got there so I had optimum conditions.

I always feel like I am "shaving" the ground with the 10x5, I don't usually get the multiple tones like "beep beep beep" going over a single target. I might hear two at most, but I will see different numbers going back and forth over it.

Hopefully that makes sense. 🤪

• Like 1

Spills usually don't have quarters perfectly stacked but sometimes you may have a few that are very close and can throw you off.

Manually stack one at a time and go over them and watch the numbers. I have been going up to 10 for my testing.

Did another test with my superfly coil and it handles them better at 5khz vs the 14 and 19 BUT in filtered modes things get dodgy. Luckily I use that machine mostly in Gen Mode that will have high ID's but the signal is enough I would stop and investigate.

What made me curious was when I got the Apex in less than a week I found a couple of Kennedy silver dollars that are pretty large and wondered how others missed them as other people I know including my self have hit those ares over the years. I also had been picking up on more quarter spills with the Apex. Only recently got a concentric for my Kruzer for river hunting and descided to do some testing.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kac said:

Spills usually don't have quarters perfectly stacked but sometimes you may have a few that are very close and can throw you off.

Manually stack one at a time and go over them and watch the numbers. I have been going up to 10 for my testing.

Did another test with my superfly coil and it handles them better at 5khz vs the 14 and 19 BUT in filtered modes things get dodgy. Luckily I use that machine mostly in Gen Mode that will have high ID's but the signal is enough I would stop and investigate.

What made me curious was when I got the Apex in less than a week I found a couple of Kennedy silver dollars that are pretty large and wondered how others missed them as other people I know including my self have hit those ares over the years. I also had been picking up on more quarter spills with the Apex. Only recently got a concentric for my Kruzer for river hunting and descided to do some testing.

Darn it now you got me wanting an Apex. 😁 Maybe next year... But I'm waiting to see what Nokta Makro does. I don't think Minelab's new "Summit" 🙄 will be in my affordable range, so the 600 will have to do and I want to get really good with it. You're helping. Thank you. 🙂

I'll try that, I have dug so many clad quarters in the past two months my coin jug is about 1/5 full (it's big), I probably have 200 of them alone. Some nice days ahead, and I just got another permission today. A really potent one. Also they're harvesting the corn so I can see how bad I was at first 🤣

Forgive a noob for still not getting all the vernacular after a year, I still don't understand the term "wrap" but maybe I answered my own question. 😀

• Like 2